Dj NEEDS to be sacked

Guest Gunns

I thought Chris Whitemyer was Dj's Guitar tech, but he left in 2013 and became Finck's Guitar tech again.

( http://www.linkedin.com/pub/chris-whitemyer/b/507/577n )

I was curious who was his new Guitar and found this about Whitemyer:

( http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59503.0 )

0:30: Show time. During the show, Chris tunes guitars and hand them out to Dj. He also puts out more water bottles on stage and operates the whammy pedal for Shackler's Revenge.

He doesn't operate his own whammy Pedal?

In fairness, Slash doesn't operate any of his pedals outside of his wah, granted Slash uses few other pedals than a compressor, wah, fuzz, and overdrive. This is true of many players. Most pedals are operated off stage so the guitarist can focus on playing rather than changing amp channel and/or effect pedal at the same time. We see how well this works out for DJ.

It's even becoming rare now to see a guitar player operating his/her own wah..... it's nice that Slash still does. I don't think anyone in "nuGNR" does.

No it doesn't. It's not becoming rare. I think that's an exaggeration. If you incorporate a wah sound, you fucking operate the pedal yourself if you're a real guitar player and there are plenty of those left.

In terms of national/international touring acts, I rarely see it.

The Edge is still the master of his entire rig.

Not too hard when you play two notes per song and the the effects handle the rest!

:lol: I know it sounds that way but the guy can actually play..

i didn't read everything on here so idk if it's said but yeah DJ is indeed fucking up a lot of things, and he acts like a child sometimes lol but it is kinda what this band needs, someone to entertain and present energy and enthusiasm and thats what he does well, i mean Axl is in the spotlight all the time and getting all the attention anyway so let the happy married eyeshadowed guy have his moments of joy :P do i want him out? no i don't think i do because he became one of the faces of this band and i still kinda like him, and he is enjoying what he is doing and he never looks bored he always puts his heart in his performance and thats what matters, and playing in front of a cheering crowd sure gives you a kick and i bet he uses that to the max, i want to hear new GN'R material with him on it to be able to conclude if he adds something to this band for the future or not

It was a joke Russ, even the Edge pokes fun at himself about it. Steve Jones is one of my favorite players. No he isn't the most technically skilled but he wrote some great songs. Plenty of musicians like that. Just don't think Ashba is one of them.

And any time someone starts saying things like "real guitar players" or "real rock n roll" all you can do is roll your eyes and walk away. There's no such thing as a "real" guitar player. What constitutes that? Is there a standard by which a guitarist can be deemed real or unreal? No it's a matter of taste. Ashba doesn't tickle my fancy, and I think it's a shame he's in my favorite band. Ron isn't my type of deal either, but I have great respect for him as a musician and a person. DJ? Not so much.

I can't completely judge Dj until he releases some music with Axl on vocals. And that's Axl fault i think. Until that i can't call him a fake.

If he manages to pull a song, a riff, a solo that i really enjoy then all of this is really pointless. I have seen the guy live, even i see him fuck the Don't Cry solo over Axl singing and get away with it. He got some presence on stage, he connects with the audience and that's hard. On the same gig i saw this guy Nick Sterling on the Bach band. He's really really talented and very skilled, but he was lacking stage presence, he was so boring.. like watching a session player.

I understand what you are saying and agree with most of it.

My only question would be what about other guitar players who perform and excite a crowd without all the predetermined "moves" that DJ uses? I've never heard anybody call Slash boring on stage and he didn't do the hulk Hogan ears or the running in place thing that DJ does. When I was a teenager, the "thing" to do while playing guitar was to make exaggerated faces during your solos. Then you had guys like CC DeVille would would spin his guitar around and lay on the floor and do all these excited choreographed movements.......that's what DJ reminds me of. He might be a great business man, a really nice guy in real life.....but it just seems like he tries way too hard to be "cool." Nothing about him seems real or honest. He is a walking rock music cliché. Which is fine if that is his gimmick - but GnR was never about that. Poison was a gimmick band. GnR wasn't.

And I'm in your boat as well though about his music with GnR. I can't fully judge his stay with the band until GnR releases music that he helped create. And I'm way bigger of a fan for albums than concerts. I'll listen to the next GnR album 10's of thousands of time. I might go to ONE show on their next tour. 10,000 listens or 1 concert? I'll take the albums every time. And if DJ can help Axl come up with some amazing songs, I'll be the first person on here to sing his praises.

• Like 1

It was a joke Russ, even the Edge pokes fun at himself about it. Steve Jones is one of my favorite players. No he isn't the most technically skilled but he wrote some great songs. Plenty of musicians like that. Just don't think Ashba is one of them.

And any time someone starts saying things like "real guitar players" or "real rock n roll" all you can do is roll your eyes and walk away. There's no such thing as a "real" guitar player. What constitutes that? Is there a standard by which a guitarist can be deemed real or unreal? No it's a matter of taste. Ashba doesn't tickle my fancy, and I think it's a shame he's in my favorite band. Ron isn't my type of deal either, but I have great respect for him as a musician and a person. DJ? Not so much.

I can't completely judge Dj until he releases some music with Axl on vocals. And that's Axl fault i think. Until that i can't call him a fake.

If he manages to pull a song, a riff, a solo that i really enjoy then all of this is really pointless. I have seen the guy live, even i see him fuck the Don't Cry solo over Axl singing and get away with it. He got some presence on stage, he connects with the audience and that's hard. On the same gig i saw this guy Nick Sterling on the Bach band. He's really really talented and very skilled, but he was lacking stage presence, he was so boring.. like watching a session player.

He might be a great business man, a really nice guy in real life.....but it just seems like he tries way too hard to be "cool." Nothing about him seems real or honest. He is a walking rock music cliché. Which is fine if that is his gimmick - but GnR was never about that. Poison was a gimmick band. GnR wasn't.

And I'm in your boat as well though about his music with GnR. I can't fully judge his stay with the band until GnR releases music that he helped create. And I'm way bigger of a fan for albums than concerts. I'll listen to the next GnR album 10's of thousands of time. I might go to ONE show on their next tour. 10,000 listens or 1 concert? I'll take the albums every time. And if DJ can help Axl come up with some amazing songs, I'll be the first person on here to sing his praises.

This is how I see it, whilst an average player from his performances and released material and acting like a desperate attention seeking 16 year old scene kid he isn't the worst guitarist in the world, a weak link imo but if I ignore almost everything about him except his playing it isn't THAT much of a bad thing, I support him reaching whatever potential Axl sees in him for a record, his corny ass overcooked bag of clichés is a smear on the band for me otherwise, the other two make up for it,

Edited by RandallFlagg

He might be a great business man, a really nice guy in real life.....but it just seems like he tries way too hard to be "cool." Nothing about him seems real or honest. He is a walking rock music cliché. Which is fine if that is his gimmick - but GnR was never about that. Poison was a gimmick band. GnR wasn't.

This is how I see it, whilst an average player from his performances and released material and acting like a desperate attention seeking 16 year old scene kid he isn't the worst guitarist in the world, a weak link imo but if I ignore almost everything about him except his playing it isn't THAT much of a bad thing, I support him reaching whatever potential Axl sees in him for a record, his corny ass overcooked bag of clichés is a smear on the band for me otherwise, the other two make up for it,

Like i said in the other post, i think he's doing that shit for the female audience. Just ask your girlfriend what she thinks about Dj.

Obviously most of the guys hate the fucking act, the hogan thing etc. It's annoying but it's not like CC Devile playing lead in GNR, at least to me it's not. What really piss me off if the advertising thing on stage.

The problem with DJ, I'd say is 25% substance, 75% posturing, with Slash it was 75% substance, 25% posturing

Some charisma and confidence is important, this is rock n' roll after all, you've gotta have IT though to be deemed one of the greats.

Like i said in the other post, i think he's doing that shit for the female audience. Just ask your girlfriend what she thinks about Dj.

Obviously most of the guys hate the fucking act, the hogan thing etc. It's annoying but it's not like CC Devile playing lead in GNR, at least to me it's not. What really piss me off if the advertising thing on stage.

Edited.....deleted............before people start accusing me of being a homophobe. It was a joke.

Edited by Groghan

I did, and she said he looked like a f a g

I am a girl, well a woman actually, and I think it's pretty pathetic. I ask myself how old those girls are. I can't imagine them being any older than girls who swoon over Bieber or some other teen idol. I just don't get that a man who's older than I am would do and say/tweet such things. Maybe he's there to attract a very young female audience ? I don't know. I thought he didn't look too bad in that pic where they were rehearsing for the GG though.

If he was in a scene band like bring me the horizon no one would bat an eyelid because it's to be expected, he's in GNR and we've had a plethora of weird looking folks dressed in anything from the leather and denim trend to a Bucket to whatever bin liner Finck decided on, to jacked up concoctions of I Know I'll Just Get Dressed In The Dark to Braids N' Casual, and they were all tolerated because their music came first and they were damn good at it, so this guy is obviously rubbing folk up the wrong way and one of them is his usually decent renditions but more often than it ought to be lifeless and weak renditions then comes everything else that gets his fuck ups magnified. It's a combination of many aspects of him, so the intensity of the hate is unfair and he's not talentless by far, it IS lets tell the truth, but there's much warranted within his schtick and GNR fans ain't the easiest to trick your respect from.

I am a girl, well a woman actually, and I think it's pretty pathetic. I ask myself how old those girls are.

Yeah, my girlfriend thinks the same. She's 25 and she cringed when I showed her a picture of Ashba.

I think most emo girls like Ashba 'cause they get his style or his embarrassing campaign "I'm all alone yet I will survive in this suffering world" or whatever. Let's point out that those girls are at max, 17 years old.

I've seen DJ twice, and I think he's a great showman, he puts some fire into the stage.

But the lacks of GNR songwriting (not his fault), the hat, and the purpose of fillling Slash/Finck/BH shoes put him in a difficult situation. But I believe on his songwriting skills, Beautiful Creatures, Sixx Am or even the Goretorium album have great riffs, and solos.

Edited by Silent Jay