Where do you stand on an original reunion at this point?

Original GNR lineup reunion?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Half of the huge reunion payday would still be a huge payday for Steven.

I wonder how much truth there is to those rumours that Axl was up for a reunion in 2006 for Hammersmith and Download? Scott Weiland said GNR were almost reunited, but then again Weiland says a lot of shit (like when he said he was back in VR, unbeknownst to Slash and Duff), the Hammerstein NYC shows got a lot of buzz, and CD seemed closer than ever. Maybe Axl saw it as a temporary deal with the devil to help get ChiDem released? Marc said that Slash's book was the nail in the coffin though for Axl to consider working with Slash again.

True about Steven, but I still feel he could see that as getting shafted in some way. He has his arguments that he started the band with the rest of them, but this would be a huge money thing and I could see it causing some kind of problem.

I didn't know there were rumors Axl was up for a reunion in 2006. Personally, I highly fucking doubt that. Velvet Revolver were still riding high from their debut and Axl HAD to prove he was something without the original guys. He'd basically only tried in 2002 and that failed cause the tour cancelled, so I don't see how he'd be open to going back so quickly. I can't even really think of any reasons then that Axl would want to get back with Slash. I feel that was the time when everyone really wanted it but the band members were trying as hard as possible to move past it. They've softened up since.

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/303/9/

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/190377-2006-reunion/

It is probably bullshit, but weirder things have happened (I would have never guessed Duff would do full shows with Axl again, including covering ChiDem material).

Yeah, that article seems like total BS. Any of us could write that, and its pretty much written exactly as any journalist would want it to be written. Everything was perfect... until that very last second when it all fell apart. I call bullshit.

I guess Marc has some validity, but I don't think in 2005 they were open to it. Like I said, Velvet Revolver made a splash, and that was something good for Slash and Duff and detrimental to Axl. I don't know how Axl saw that and thought "well nows as good a time as any to get them back." I would think actually that thats the time he said "well fuck them. I'm gonna come back bigger and better in 2006". I mean, we all know how Axl operates.

I know what you mean about Duff, and I certainly never saw that coming either. But like I said, things have cooled since then. In 05/06, there was still bad blood everywhere and Duff and Slash were escaping those Guns questions as much as possible. Its been years now, they've done their own stuff and Velvet Revolver is no longer really an entity. Its much less surprising now for Duff to play with them, even though its still very surprising.

Nah. They only motivation for them reuniting would be for money, and that's not a good enough reason to have five middle aged men jam it out together with no chemistry for a paycheck.

That being said, I think one day there will be a reunion show. And it will probably suck.

Axl should put the GNR name to rest and work on something new, without the pressure of trying to create GNR albums.

If Axl actually started taking care of himself and made an effort to improve his performance I'd be interested, and so would you.

Agree. I've been hoping for a reunion from the moment Slash left. Even Axl's ridiculous behaviors with the cancer remark or HOF for example, didn't dampen my wishful thinking. But I don't feel the same way anymore., and it's for one reason only. Axl. His performances have become so disappointing, that at this point I'd rather him stay with the nu band and just preserve the old one as it was meant to be. It will always be one of the greatest bands of all time in my mind. Trying to bring it back together in the shape Axl is in and the way he sounds now would just tarnish the memories of seeing him and Slash up on that stage together again. I'm ok with just remembering how awesome it was.

• Like 2

my opinion has changed over time. i was totally behind axl for a few years with his new band, well into the chinese democracy release. somewhere along the way he lost me a little bit when he started doing the endless touring, and i felt like the old guys should come back if all he's gonna do is play the hits they helped write. i saw a shift in his stage presence and chemistry on stage, like he was going through the motions for the first time ever, like he kind of admitted defeat and was motivated by something other than passion. and after the past couple years and some of the recent shows i'm not even sure i'd want to see the axl of today reunited with the rest of the band. would it be cool for nostalgia's sake? yeah, definitely. there's something to be said from the standpoint of a fan, seeing those guys being able to put aside grudges and share a stage again. but to tour? to record new music? nah. not unless he channels back into whatever mojo he had in 2010.

• Like 1