Where do you stand on an original reunion at this point?

Original GNR lineup reunion?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Izzy has said if there was a reunion he'd do it as he wrote a good portion of those songs. So it's all about Axl and Slash. They just seem at opposite ends of the spectrum. Axl is more over to prog rock Zeppelin and Slash has much more traditional rock n roll methods. With Slash not really wanting to be part of Axl's creative process, and Axl not wanting to do solely hard rock, it seems hard to see what they could do. I guess a UYI type thing. 2 songs from each guy with a couple of covers. Basically just take two Izzy solo album songs, two Slash solo album songs, 2 Duff songs, two Axl songs and just record it with Axl basically singing on most of it. finish it in 2 weeks then hit the road to play the hits. They could do a cover of Thin Lizzy's The Boys are Back in Town.

I'm not sure wether your posts are serious, a joke or both at once...I was almost certain this one was serious until the last line :huh:

I've been into the band since 1988. I do not want a reunion. Does anyone honestly think the magic would be there again? Everyone's 30 years older, everyone's grown, everyone's coming from a different place now. Sometimes chemistry and brilliance from the past just can't be replicated. I like seeing Axl and Duff play together but I think that a full out reunion isn't going to happen. I also think Adler's too screwed up to handle it at all.

Edited by stella

First of all I would be happy as fuck.

But I don't see it ever happen. If it would happen I'm sure the guys are capable of writing one of the best comeback albums of all time, but just musically wise.

Don't think it would affect Axls work ethic, so we might never hear music of the guys again.

So, if it doesn't happen we've got at least solo material of Slash, Duff and Izzy every couple years.

I prefer that rather of getting nothing any more

This is tough because I never got to see them live growing up. slash left the band when I was around 10 (I'm not into nugnr). So obviously I'd love to see my favorite band live, but at the same time I'm not sure it's worth it for them. I think they had their chance at the rock n roll hof and Axl wasn't having it. So if it didn't happen then, I doubt it will.

I would prefer that Axl continue to release music like Chinese Democracy - or at least keep things innovative. I have absolutely no interest in hearing Axl lay vocals over records like Apocalyptic Love and Slash & Friends. :shrugs:

I would attend a reunion show because old GNR were once a great thing, and the experience would probably be pulsating. But it's not like there is any chance of music being produced from such an arrangement.

It's too late and pointless for a reunion to have any important avenues, plus it'd take another 3,4 years for anything to develop organically, let alone Axl to miraculously drop his demented crusade and divisions, it'd take a near miracle and some kind of divine intervention to get onstage with Slash again, which he won't because this is Axl Rose and we have seen how deep the resentment and scars run with how whacked out the last fifteen years have been, his only effort to show for it doesn't really bestow kindness and forgiveness on his past either. Shut up n' sing will be sang alongside the guy it concerns? Somehow I don't think so, and this fantasy that he'd just ignore Chinese Democracy even if a reunion somehow manifests? lol i don't think so.

And there is from the current one? Thanks for the laugh :lol:

I imagine that you will just respond with a gif or some other braindead means of reply, but I'll waste my time anyway:

- Old GNR would literally have to start from scratch if they decided to create a new record, which is always a problem when it comes to Axl.

- Between 1999 and 2008, GNR worked on three sets of songs. At least one more of those records is close to being completed.

So it's very easy to determine which era has more hope of releasing a new record in the forseeable future.

Edited by NGOG

Question 1:

No, I don't want to see it happen. The band is gone, the fire and magic they bad together would be gone. At this point, the only way a reunion COULD happen would be if Slash were to go on a TV show or something and lay out everything Axl wants him to say. Like "I said on 1 September 1991 that Axl was a loser", that was a lie, he's actually cool. Now, it wouldn't be shit like that, it'd be stuff he's said in the press but hopefully the point is gotten. Slash won't do that because it'd ruin his career, and I don't blame him. You do what you gotta do. I'm glad Slash is still going and I can't wait to get SMKC2.

Question 2:

Adler. No way could he go on a full tour. No way would anyone trust him to tour without collapsing. The Adler tour didn't even make it. I love Steven but touring isn't for him. A few shows in and around LA? Sure. Why not? But definatly not a full tour. Second after Adler would be Axl. Unless he can get his voice back with power, a reunion would fail and imo tarnish the legacy of that band.

Question 3: No. It's been made clear it won't happen, so I don't ever expect one. As much as I'd love for it to happen and go perfectly, I *highly* doubt it will.

Reunions are more for people who never got a chance to see the band in its prime. Axl's out there still doing the songs with a band (usually) capable of delivering a good show and doing the songs justice, but there's always going to be something "off".

If Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff, and Steven ever play together again, it'll be informal and not a lot of people will know about it. Having them all go on stage at a Camp Freddy gig wouldn't be a real GNR reunion if there's other musicians up on stage with them, pretty much like how they used to get together with other bands back in the day. There's no pressure whether it's great or it sucks, it just is. That's the only way I ever see it happening.

AFD is 30 in a few years, I'm sure there will be some sort of special acknowledgement for it.

Reunions are more for people who never got a chance to see the band in its prime. Axl's out there still doing the songs with a band (usually) capable of delivering a good show and doing the songs justice, but there's always going to be something "off".

If Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff, and Steven ever play together again, it'll be informal and not a lot of people will know about it. Having them all go on stage at a Camp Freddy gig wouldn't be a real GNR reunion if there's other musicians up on stage with them, pretty much like how they used to get together with other bands back in the day. There's no pressure whether it's great or it sucks, it just is. That's the only way I ever see it happening.

AFD is 30 in a few years, I'm sure there will be some sort of special acknowledgement for it.

I disagree with the AFD thing. They haven't done anything for the other countless anniversaries. I don't see how this would be different. And its completely justified for them to reunite for people that never got to see them in their prime. And honestly, I feel everyone besides Axl would be up for that. They know it was special and I'm sure Duff and Slash hear all the time how many people missed it.

My comparison would be to the KISS reunion in the 90s. That was a 15 year hiatus, so it was a whole generation that never saw it. Unfortunately I missed it then, but I can't fault them because they've at least done it once. They got back together to show what it was like for people that weren't there. It wouldn't be the same magic, but there would be magic, if Axl just got over his feud.

All this thread is about is getting people to say Axls the weak link... well he is and he isn't, Adler is far worse off. Axl might be over weight and not exactly singing well but he's not a drug addict and relapsing or going through withdrawals. If and it's a big IF the band got back together Steven would not be there and if he was he would be held under a lot of rules about keeping his sobriety etc. I'd say matt would be much, much easier to handle. Axl can get his shit together if he chooses to do so, if he's motivated he'll work hard.

Axl can get his shit together if he chooses to do so, if he's motivated he'll work hard.

I don't know if I'd say thats realistic anymore.

The Matt/Steven thing would be tricky. Matt is obviously the more stable choice, but Steven has been clamoring about a reunion for decades now. And he's in contact with all the original members. There's no way they could tour without him and he'd be ok with it. He'd be crushed. They'd have to take him out on the road and he'd have to play every night, which he may or may not be able to do. But they couldn't not take him or limit him to just occasional appearances because he'd make a whole lot of noise about not being included.

Axl can get his shit together if he chooses to do so, if he's motivated he'll work hard.

The Matt/Steven thing would be tricky. Matt is obviously the more stable choice, but Steven has been clamoring about a reunion for decades now. And he's in contact with all the original members. There's no way they could tour without him and he'd be ok with it. He'd be crushed. They'd have to take him out on the road and he'd have to play every night, which he may or may not be able to do. But they couldn't not take him or limit him to just occasional appearances because he'd make a whole lot of noise about not being included.

I'd have Adler on for most of the Appetite songs, I think that's how Matt said he'd like it go down as well. Adler can't be topped for Nightrain, Brownstone, SCOM, Rocket Queen, PC. Sure he'd be happy with 5 songs a night, Matt could do the UYI stuff.

I disagree with the AFD thing. They haven't done anything for the other countless anniversaries. I don't see how this would be different. And its completely justified for them to reunite for people that never got to see them in their prime. And honestly, I feel everyone besides Axl would be up for that. They know it was special and I'm sure Duff and Slash hear all the time how many people missed it.

My comparison would be to the KISS reunion in the 90s. That was a 15 year hiatus, so it was a whole generation that never saw it. Unfortunately I missed it then, but I can't fault them because they've at least done it once. They got back together to show what it was like for people that weren't there. It wouldn't be the same magic, but there would be magic, if Axl just got over his feud.

They got together in 2007 minus Axl, that's the one where Slash didn't get up on stage at Adler's gig. Really low key.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/full-guns-n-roses-reunion-fails-to-materialize-at-adler-s-appetite-concert/

Edited by dalsh327

I'd have Adler on for most of the Appetite songs, I think that's how Matt said he'd like it go down as well. Adler can't be topped for Nightrain, Brownstone, SCOM, Rocket Queen, PC. Sure he'd be happy with 5 songs a night, Matt could do the UYI stuff.

I agree that seems obvious. But that also significantly lessens the chance of some spontaneous changes because they have to know which person is drumming. And also, isn't that a hassle to bring Adler to drum like that? I mean, in that way he'd be with them the whole tour, and I don't see how the people saying he can't make it for a whole tour when he's playing the whole show will think he can do it when he's only playing half the show. Seems like this is basically the same thing. It'd definitely be cool, but it seems a bit much. Will they want to pay Steven the same amount even though he's only playing half the show? Seems like that could get hairy fast. I know Matt is cool with whatever would happen, but would the band?

What I'm saying is Matt is the best person to just drum the whole thing, but the problem is you can't do that to Steven at this point, and the whole drummer thing kind of throws another wrench into this hypothetical reunion.

Half of the huge reunion payday would still be a huge payday for Steven.

I wonder how much truth there is to those rumours that Axl was up for a reunion in 2006 for Hammersmith and Download? Scott Weiland said GNR were almost reunited, but then again Weiland says a lot of shit (like when he said he was back in VR, unbeknownst to Slash and Duff), the Hammerstein NYC shows got a lot of buzz, and CD seemed closer than ever. Maybe Axl saw it as a temporary deal with the devil to help get ChiDem released? Marc said that Slash's book was the nail in the coffin though for Axl to consider working with Slash again.

I wonder how much truth there is to those rumours that Axl was up for a reunion in 2006 for Hammersmith and Download? Scott Weiland said GNR were almost reunited, but then again Weiland says a lot of shit (like when he said he was back in VR, unbeknownst to Slash and Duff), the Hammerstein NYC shows got a lot of buzz, and CD seemed closer than ever. Maybe Axl saw it as a temporary deal with the devil to help get ChiDem released? Marc said that Slash's book was the nail in the coffin though for Axl to consider working with Slash again.

True about Steven, but I still feel he could see that as getting shafted in some way. He has his arguments that he started the band with the rest of them, but this would be a huge money thing and I could see it causing some kind of problem.

I didn't know there were rumors Axl was up for a reunion in 2006. Personally, I highly fucking doubt that. Velvet Revolver were still riding high from their debut and Axl HAD to prove he was something without the original guys. He'd basically only tried in 2002 and that failed cause the tour cancelled, so I don't see how he'd be open to going back so quickly. I can't even really think of any reasons then that Axl would want to get back with Slash. I feel that was the time when everyone really wanted it but the band members were trying as hard as possible to move past it. They've softened up since.

True about Steven, but I still feel he could see that as getting shafted in some way. He has his arguments that he started the band with the rest of them, but this would be a huge money thing and I could see it causing some kind of problem.

I didn't know there were rumors Axl was up for a reunion in 2006. Personally, I highly fucking doubt that. Velvet Revolver were still riding high from their debut and Axl HAD to prove he was something without the original guys. He'd basically only tried in 2002 and that failed cause the tour cancelled, so I don't see how he'd be open to going back so quickly. I can't even really think of any reasons then that Axl would want to get back with Slash. I feel that was the time when everyone really wanted it but the band members were trying as hard as possible to move past it. They've softened up since.

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/303/9/

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/190377-2006-reunion/

It is probably bullshit, but weirder things have happened (I would have never guessed Duff would do full shows with Axl again, including covering ChiDem material).