So what's 68 year old Kurt Loder doin these days?

Think he still talks to Axl? He used to be the only one that could seemingly get a hold of him. He's in nearly every MTV video about the band but I haven't heard from him in awhile. What was the last thing he did with Guns, assuming it was MTV?

Good question.....Loder was great. Unfortunately at his age he's probably long since retired. He probably has some great stories from back in the day. I'm guessing this was his last Axl interview.....unless he got him in Rio 2001?

Movie reviews.

http://reason.com/tags/kurt-loder-movie-reviews

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Bad-Godawful-21st-Century-Reviews/dp/031264163X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349691478&sr=1-1&keywords=kurt+loder

He helped Kennedy promote her book, it's unbelievable how long he stuck around MTV for, but it sounded like a really easy gig for him.

Axl would probably want to talk to him more than the other way around, to be honest. Axl loves movies, Kurt gets paid to review movies. He had history with Circus Magazine and Rolling Stone, so the big reason MTV wanted him was because he had already interviewed a lot of big names. JJ Jackson, one of the original VJs, was good friends with Led Zeppelin in the 70s and hung out with them whenever they came to LA.

He's from a whole other era of rock journalism.

Edited by dalsh327

He's still writing, yes. He put out a book a few years ago that was a collection of his movie reviews. I met him at a book signing - he looked healthy (and far younger than he is) and he was really nice.

He interviwed Axl in 2006 at the VMAs. I think that was the last time he interviewed Axl.

I think it was John Norris who interviewed Axl at the VMAs in 2006. Kurt did the post-show interview in 2002, which would make it his last interview with Axl.

He interviwed Axl in 2006 at the VMAs. I think that was the last time he interviewed Axl.

I think it was John Norris who interviewed Axl at the VMAs in 2006. Kurt did the post-show interview in 2002, which would make it his last interview with Axl.

That is what I thought. I don't think Loder interviewed Axl after 2002.

Howard Stern would be the best person to interview Axl because he'd never agree to certain questions being off limits.

Indeed. Howard has this thing where he asks the hard questions but also sucks up to the interviewee which loosens up the interviewee into answering. I have noticed this throughout his whole career. Great interviewer.

Eddie Trunk is the new Kurt Loder to Axl. Eddie kisses way more ass than Kurt so it is only natural for Axl to be more open to being interviewed by Trunk.

Thats actually not true at all. Eddie is very good friends with Slash and Axl knows that. I don't think Axl is against Eddie, but I also don't think Eddie is the new Kurt. Eddie doesn't kiss ass usually, and he doesn't ever really say anything positive or negative about the band. Sure, he did an interview with Axl right after a show and said the show was amazing, but any human would say that in that position as well. Eddie is very critical and I don't think keeps up with Guns to talk about Axl's declining voice, etc. They aren't Kiss to him, which he follows closely.

Kurt kissed so much more ass, and good for him because it always got him interviews with the elusive Axl Rose.

Eddie Trunk is the new Kurt Loder to Axl. Eddie kisses way more ass than Kurt so it is only natural for Axl to be more open to being interviewed by Trunk.

Thats actually not true at all. Eddie is very good friends with Slash and Axl knows that. I don't think Axl is against Eddie, but I also don't think Eddie is the new Kurt. Eddie doesn't kiss ass usually, and he doesn't ever really say anything positive or negative about the band. Sure, he did an interview with Axl right after a show and said the show was amazing, but any human would say that in that position as well. Eddie is very critical and I don't think keeps up with Guns to talk about Axl's declining voice, etc. They aren't Kiss to him, which he follows closely.

Kurt kissed so much more ass, and good for him because it always got him interviews with the elusive Axl Rose.

Probably right. Any idea why he is SOOOO aggressive about current Kiss? He is really passionate about them NOT using Space Ace and Catman make up.

Probably right. Any idea why he is SOOOO aggressive about current Kiss? He is really passionate about them NOT using Space Ace and Catman make up.

He has his reasons, and generally I do agree with him. What he doesn't like is that he thinks Kiss is tricking people into thinking Ace and Peter are still in the band. Kiss say all the time, nowadays, "people go because they recognize those characters, not because they think its Ace and Peter". So they don't change the makeup because they think thats going to screw with what people know. Eddie feels, as do I, that thats bullshit and he knows that people know the makeup but also know it because its Ace. Kiss then suckers casual fans into believing Ace is still there.

If they had new makeup for Vinnie and Eric Carr, they can do it for Tommy and Singer. Eddie sees this as a tribute band, because those characters are extensions of Ace and Peter. That is who they are, and to ask/force someone else to wear that iconic makeup is 1. deceiving the audience, and 2. asking the band members they have hired to be other people. Tommy Thayer is a great guitarist, as Eddie has said. Its sad that he has to pretend to be Ace: doing his stumbling movements, singing Shock Me, doing his same pyro shtick, writing new songs like "Outta This World" which is suspiciously close to space talk which is obviously Ace Frehley's thing. Its not coincidental and thats what Eddie doesn't like. Kiss like to trash Ace and Peter, and then use what people know about them to further themselves. He is 100% correct and I'm glad he's vocal about it. He's such a HUGE fan of them, its nice to see someone in the mainstream vocalizing what a lot of hardcore Kiss fans think.

I know. I wrote too much. But thats the gist. He's passionate because they were his first favorite band and he loves them. He just doesn't like what they're doing, and if he felt the same way about GNR as he does about Kiss, he wouldn't be let within the same state as Axl because he would say exactly what Axl doesn't want to hear.

• Like 1

Axl seems to have his "flings" with interviewers, if you read Eddie's book, it's almost like he enjoyed making people jump through hoops.

He has his reasons, and generally I do agree with him. What he doesn't like is that he thinks Kiss is tricking people into thinking Ace and Peter are still in the band. Kiss say all the time, nowadays, "people go because they recognize those characters, not because they think its Ace and Peter". So they don't change the makeup because they think thats going to screw with what people know. Eddie feels, as do I, that thats bullshit and he knows that people know the makeup but also know it because its Ace. Kiss then suckers casual fans into believing Ace is still there.

If they had new makeup for Vinnie and Eric Carr, they can do it for Tommy and Singer. Eddie sees this as a tribute band, because those characters are extensions of Ace and Peter. That is who they are, and to ask/force someone else to wear that iconic makeup is 1. deceiving the audience, and 2. asking the band members they have hired to be other people. Tommy Thayer is a great guitarist, as Eddie has said. Its sad that he has to pretend to be Ace: doing his stumbling movements, singing Shock Me, doing his same pyro shtick, writing new songs like "Outta This World" which is suspiciously close to space talk which is obviously Ace Frehley's thing. Its not coincidental and thats what Eddie doesn't like. Kiss like to trash Ace and Peter, and then use what people know about them to further themselves. He is 100% correct and I'm glad he's vocal about it. He's such a HUGE fan of them, its nice to see someone in the mainstream vocalizing what a lot of hardcore Kiss fans think.

I know. I wrote too much. But thats the gist. He's passionate because they were his first favorite band and he loves them. He just doesn't like what they're doing, and if he felt the same way about GNR as he does about Kiss, he wouldn't be let within the same state as Axl because he would say exactly what Axl doesn't want to hear.

I don't think anyone going to a KISS concert that is familiar with the band feels like they're fooling anyone, but when they had a past history of assigning other symbols to Vinnie and Eric, they couldn't come up with something new? Ace is getting residuals from Tommy using the Spaceman, but as he said to Rolling Stone, there's an end date. I had heard he has no plans to let Gene and Paul continue to use it. Gene said he thinks he can do 2 more tours and occasional appearances. I think their brewery pub chain was a good idea because it's more like a Hard Rock Cafe for craft beer drinkers, the LA KISS is kind of ridiculous but they're filling a void for football fans.

Can't believe Kurt Loder is almost 70. It would be cool if he could interview him. We need someone to find out what is going on and what some of the future plans are. Kurt or Howard Stern would be the only ones who would ask some good questions

Guest NGOG

Axl would never agree to being interviewed by somebody as full-on as Howard Stern. Stern has his finger on the pulse in terms of the gritty questions people want answered.

The nature of the questions would be:

'So be honest with me, which of your girlfriends did Slash bone?'

Edited by NGOG

Axl would never agree to being interviewed by somebody as full-on as Howard Stern. Stern has his finger on the pulse in terms of the gritty questions people want answered.

The nature of the questions would be:

'So be honest with me, which of your girlfriends did Slash bone?'

Listen to any interview he's done with Slash and they are flat out hilarious. But also exactly right off the bat "so why'd you guys fuck up Guns N Roses." It would immediately be about Slash and I genuinely don't know how Axl would handle that. Howard has a point at least when he talks to Slash about it. He talks about it in terms of "there are so few bands that make it that big, why would you go ahead and mess that up." Getting past the initial 10 minutes, it'd be an amazing interview with Axl no doubt, and Howard would get him to open up a lot. They played CD years ago and liked what they heard, at least the title track. And Axl has phoned in there once. I think overall Axl would just be too afraid of that first 10 minutes, which Slash handles pretty well when he's on there, but also as a hardcore GNR fan you know that on a level its pretty cringeworthy cause you know Slash isn't totally ok with talking about it.