We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

12 minutes ago, wasted said:

Is it over, I'm watching Atherton doc so rain stopped play?

Yes, it was over on the fourth day (30th May). The Srilankans did really well to drag the game into the fourth day, setting England a small target of 60ish to chase, which England achieved by 9 wickets.

Next test is Lord's, 9th-13th June.

Alternatively there is the Blast which is just getting underway, 5-6pmish most evenings on Sky (e.g. 6pm tonight, Sussex v Somerset, Sky Sports 2). I'm off to a Blast game this evening, Durham v Notts. Probably be rain affected looking at the forecast.

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 hours ago, wasted said:

I watched Yorkshire Lancashire for a bit. Must have been 20twenty as it was a lot of slogging. I think I will be living in a sports bar this summer. 

Yes, it is the Twenty20 'Blast' - hence the large 'football style' crowds, rock music and garish strips. Yorkshire are dire at the shorter form. Two time Championship winners (they did the back-to-back, 2014 and 2015) and so many England stars yet they just can't get the T20 stuff right.

Sky 2 seems to be 20. Now it's gloucestershire. It's hard to get used to all the razzmatazz. I'm used to slightly green stains on flannel as the palette. Or that red burn mark where they polishing the ball on they nuts. 

2 hours ago, wasted said:

Sky 2 seems to be 20. Now it's gloucestershire. It's hard to get used to all the razzmatazz. I'm used to slightly green stains on flannel as the palette. Or that red burn mark where they polishing the ball on they nuts. 

Wait for England vs Sri Lanka then, June 9-13 3rd Test, Lord's (11:00 am), Sky Sports 2. Then after that the Pakistan series begins.

It is rare they put any county stuff on.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I have no expectations. But I think England could surprise a few. There's a lot talent in there that isn't known. To me Vardy is a threat to anyone. 

True maybe Hodgson is too conservative and system based to really get anything out of his players. 

But the pressure is all on Spain, France, Germany. England is just a bunch of kids and grandpa Wayne. 

52 minutes ago, wasted said:

I have no expectations. But I think England could surprise a few. There's a lot talent in there that isn't known. To me Vardy is a threat to anyone. 

True maybe Hodgson is too conservative and system based to really get anything out of his players. 

But the pressure is all on Spain, France, Germany. England is just a bunch of kids and grandpa Wayne. 

Stick to the England Test Cricket team and save yourself the heartache; they are in a really good place right, playing an exciting attacking brand of cricket. It is not often we are this good so we may as well wallow in it.

Notts 445/8 (Lumb 184, Wessels 146), highest List A partnership in England and second highest one-day total ever, worldwide!! Poor Northants are now trying to chase it down as I speak.

PS

Highest List A score? Surrey made 496 in 2007 against Gloucestershire.

Edited by DieselDaisy

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Notts 445/8 (Lumb 184, Wessels 146), highest List A partnership in England and second highest one-day total ever, worldwide!! Poor Northants are now trying to chase it down as I speak.

PS

Highest List A score? Surrey made 496 in 2007 against Gloucestershire.

Northants fell 20 runs short! Its a new highest aggregate score for a 50 over match played in England!

17 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Stick to the England Test Cricket team and save yourself the heartache; they are in a really good place right, playing an exciting attacking brand of cricket. It is not often we are this good so we may as well wallow in it.

I didn't even know we were good. Better jump on it. I can use it in the local to divert all the aussie abuse. They aren't even in the Euros but they will support England losing to the USSR. Maybe I'll just watch the games at home but turn up for the cricket. 

1 hour ago, sturginho said:

Northants fell 20 runs short! Its a new highest aggregate score for a 50 over match played in England!

For a second, if Northants got the runs, I thought the record would be broken twice in the same match. I was watching Sussex v Essex but they were keeping everybody informed.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

For a second, if Northants got the runs, I thought the record would be broken twice in the same match. I was watching Sussex v Essex but they were keeping everybody informed.

we seem to be setting records and losing matches at the same time this year!