We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

He is a good batsman, I can tell you. Bairstow (and Bresnan) destroyed Durham last season. That is the knock which obtained the England recall. But he is seen as a part time wicketkeeper yet he is keeping for England so this is the debate. I do think keepers who bat at 11 are a thing of the past but it is possible that there is a slight counter-revolution here and we might see more emphasis on the wicketkeeping. Well, it is a concurrent debate - as I said. We'll see how it pans out.

Prior was good in that role, for England. He had to work at it but he eventually got both elements working together. 

We have had some quite good keepers who can also bat; Stewart (really a batsman who could keep, and I think he averaged about 46 just as a batsman), Jones, Prior, Russell, Rhodes, Read etc. We've never really had one who can get up that next level though, and certainly not consistently, with most of them averaging around the mid to late 20s (Prior probably late 30s). I mean, they even looked at getting Robin Smith to keep for a while!

Here is a question for you? What is the greatest test match of all time? I'll just throw some of the more obvious examples out there: Eden Gardens '01; Headingley '81 ('Botham's Ashes'); Edgbaston '05 (or even Trent Bridge); the Australian (Benaud) v Windies ''tied test''.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Here is a question for you? What is the greatest test match of all time? I'll just throw some of the more obvious examples out there: Eden Gardens '01; Headingley '81 ('Botham's Ashes'); Edgbaston '05 (or even Trent Bridge); the Australian (Benaud) v Windies ''tied test''.

This one would have been a good'un to watch: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/62776.html

That was during the period Trueman was pissed off because he was not getting into the side instead of Tyson. Benaud said that Frank Tyson was the fastest bowler he had ever seen and he of course saw Lillee, Thompson and the great Windies quartets.

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It forced Stewart down the order where he was vulnerable to spin whereas you really wanted him to open.

i remember when they had him keeping, opening and was the captain! Stewart would have brought the drinks out too, if they asked him to.

Both teams are better with the bat than the ball. Gayle, Simmons, Charles, Butler, Root, Roy, Stokes, Ali - any of these players can destroy the bowling. The key is the bowling. Bravo bowls a slow looping yorker and varies it up with cutters. England batters like pace so this could be a nightmare. Stokes and Jordan have become the consummate death partnership by bowling wide accurate (more so Jordan) yorkers. I prefer the Windies spin (Badree and Benn) over England's I hate to say. The batting will take care of itself so it is really up to the bowlers. Can't wait.

If I see Stokes this summer, I'm not going to mention the name Carlos Brathwaite.

David Willey was fantastic.

PS

I'm just hoping all of this Windies one-day success (besides this, U19 wc and ladies T20) rubs off on the test team, because it does seem like there are two WI teams, the OD sides and the test team, the former being excellent, the latter woeful. The test team is captained by Holder and lacks the glitzy T20 mercenaries, your Gayles and Bravos.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Durham's transfer policy for the incoming season, beginning incidentally April 10th? Fuck all!! And Hastings, our big Aussie all-rounder, who repaired many a disastrous innings for last season, is out with surgery!!

Meanwhile Yorkshire have signed David Willey and Kane Williamson will be returning for part of the season!!

We need to sign someone now!!! We need an all-rounder!!

Here is an article on the upcoming season,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/35884471

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Jennings ton both innings vs Somerset. Next two days will probably be washed out which is unfortunate but at least we will obtain the batting points. Elsewhere, Cook century.

Northants vs Sussex is heading for a draw due to the rain, but if it holds off long enough then Ben Duckett could be on course to beat the club record 331 made by Mike Hussey at Taunton in 2003, he is currently 282* overnight

33 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I saw. There has been some hefty scores for so early in the season (wonder if that is the change in the wicket policy?). Sad news for James Taylor,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/36024253

Saw that, it's sad news for him. Also saw that a young lad from the Chris Gayle academy was killed in trinidad: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36022324

Still no play at wantage road

33 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I saw. There has been some hefty scores for so early in the season (wonder if that is the change in the wicket policy?). Sad news for James Taylor,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/36024253

Saw that, it's sad news for him. Also saw that a young lad from the Chris Gayle academy was killed in trinidad: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36022324

Still no play at wantage road

They were all basically rained off except Trent Bridge, Rose Bowl and Chelmsford.

PS

I watched some IPL last night haha. Ab De Villiers and Kohli banging it around. Believe it or not, they had lost an early wicket - get this - Chris Gayle. Gayle, De Villiers Kohli!!.

Edited by DieselDaisy

13 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

They were all basically rained off except Trent Bridge, Rose Bowl and Chelmsford.

PS

I watched some IPL last night haha. Ab De Villiers and Kohli banging it around. Believe it or not, they had lost an early wicket - get this - Chris Gayle. Gayle, De Villiers Kohli!!.

I used to watch when it was on ITV4

Our Aussie all-rounder has buggered off there, John Hastings.  

It is so unbelievably tacky. When Shane Watson hit a 6 something like ''Shane-tastic'' appeared on the screen, and something similar happened when Warner hit a six. The captains have a conversation with the commentators on microphones when fielding.

No club record for Duckett, it pissed it down overnight so the 4th day has been abandoned (although the sun is out now, typical!) still 282* won't hurt his average for the season!

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Our Aussie all-rounder has buggered off there, John Hastings.  

It is so unbelievably tacky. When Shane Watson hit a 6 something like ''Shane-tastic'' appeared on the screen, and something similar happened when Warner hit a six. The captains have a conversation with the commentators on microphones when fielding.

When Watson gets out LBW does it say "Shane-palling" on screen or something?

Edited by sturginho

Yes, same with Durham's. Your match was still stranded in its first innings with two or three wickets remaining but then, at least Durham and Northamptonshire both pick up some batting points and it isn't a case of the ubiquitous early-season ''Match abandoned without a ball bowled''!