We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

8 hours ago, wasted said:

Derbyshire's ground is terrible. I had a trial there and it was no Lilyshaw. There's a ring road right round it. It's a prison. No place for a pint. Worcester is a joke pitch but it's nice place. 

Charlie Sheen, a cricketer, for Derbyshire!

Just now, Len B'stard said:

Any relation?

It is his grandkid.

The thing I fear is they might select Durham's Scott Borthwick for three!! I guess I'm favouring club before country with that fear. Nasty England. Keep away from our players you wankers.

18 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Which team does he play for, i support them!  

Compton? Middlesex like his grandpa. He did have a quite long spell at Somerset but returned to Lord's last year.

London county cricket is split by the Thames. North of the Thames is Middlesex and Lord's. South of the Thames it is Surrey and The Oval. There is a bit of rivalry of sorts.  

Football geographic? Soul Monster is a Norwegian Manc; Powerage a Yank Hammer!

County cricket is a lot more regional than football I would say because it is tied in with the historic English (and Welsh for Glamorgan) counties.

image.gif

I support Durham because, although I'm from Northumberland, they essentially represent the North East, drawing their players from, not just Durham but Newcastle, Northumberland, Cumbria and even Scotland (we get a few Scottish supporters come down actually).

The two teams which have dominated the CC are Yorkshire and Surrey. Yorkshire have won the competition 32 times - Surrey 18.

Cricket really isn't all about winning and money. Yet. It's more of a past time. Like following the score eating sandwiches. There isn't much rivalry or cricket hooligans. Maybe with Australia. Ricky Ponting needs a beating. West Indies are like the Brazil cricket. Viv Richards is like Pele to me. 

Just now, wasted said:

Cricket really isn't all about winning and money. Yet. It's more of a past time. Like following the score eating sandwiches. There isn't much rivalry or cricket hooligans. Maybe with Australia. Ricky Ponting needs a beating. West Indies are like the Brazil cricket. Viv Richards is like Pele to me. 

If you mean the West Indian Test team they are more like the Scottish football team I'm afraid as opposed to Brazil.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

If you mean the West Indian Test team they are more like the Scottish football team I'm afraid as opposed to Brazil.

I'm talking about the 80s West Indies with Clive Llyod, Viv Ricards. It might just have been me. But during the Texaco Cup they seemed like Brazil. 

On 9 June 2016 at 10:27 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, Lloyd's chaps. Greenidge, Haynes, Sir Viv and their quartets of quicks: Holding, Roberts, Croft, Garner, etc. Mid - late '70s till late '90s the Windies were dominant in a way that is unprecedented in sport - any sport.

Garner is the one I remember. I had the sticker album. 

So they weren't like Scotland. But they are now. My sporting knowledge drops off in the 90s. The 90s was a blur. Around 2000 I started to watch premiership football again. 

On 12/06/2016 at 9:11 AM, wasted said:

Garner is the one I remember. I had the sticker album. 

So they weren't like Scotland. But they are now. My sporting knowledge drops off in the 90s. The 90s was a blur. Around 2000 I started to watch premiership football again. 

In brief, Walsh and Ambrose, and of course Brian Lara, arrived and continued Windies dominance until the arsehole fell out somewhere around 1995. Now the Windies test team are a shadow of their former self. It is a bit like in football where your Man Us and Liverpools field a second string team of reserves for a Carling Cup game, while reserving their star players for the Premiership. With the Windies today, the Test team are second rate while all their stars devote themselves to T20. Essentially the West Indies are an excellent T20 team, a more than competent One-day team but a piss poor test team. The best Caribbean players are all mercenary T20 globe-trotters who've abandoned the longer form.

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

In brief, Walsh and Ambrose, and of course Brian Lara, arrived and continued Windies dominance until the arsehole fell out somewhere around 1995. Now the Windies test team are a shadow of their former self. It is a bit like in football where your Man Us and Liverpools field a second string team of reserves for a Carling Cup game, while reserving their star players for the Premiership. With the Windies today, the Test team are second rate while all their stars devote themselves to T20. Essentially the West Indies are an excellent T20 team, a more than competent One-day team but a piss poor test team. The best Caribbean players are all mercenary T20 globe-trotters who've abandoned the longer form.

They in da caribbean with AKs on da stage. G unit has a lot to answer for. Only players in nuked up countries can afford not to go for the money. Member The Yak he got married so he could join Portsmouth. That's dedication and  pimp. 

• 2 weeks later...
Best day of cricket I've ever had,

20 Jun 2016 Specsavers County Championship - Division One - Day 3 of 4
Durham
First innings 172 all out
Second innings 452 - for 8 wickets (132.0 overs)

Yorkshire
First innings 323 all out

Close - Durham lead Yorkshire by 301 runs with 2 wickets remaining

Draw. Valiant effort. I'm not sure with Colly's bowling selection. Stokes was fielding and I saw him in nets yesterday so he is closer to fitness.

Thus far,

1. Lancs 99

2. Yorkies 99

3. Durham 95

Everyone is bunched up because of all the early draws.

Good game of cricket anyhow. There is no shame in walking away with a draw against Dizzy's Yorkies.

Middlesex go top, beating the Yorkies at Scarborough by an innings and four runs (Durham and Yorkshire have a game in hand though).

PS

Yorkshire batsman Gary Ballance has been recalled to the England side for the first Test against Pakistan at Lord's next week.

England's leading Test wicket-taker James Anderson misses out with a shoulder injury.

Middlesex pace bowler Toby Roland-Jones earns a first call-up and will vie with Jake Ball for a place in the XI.

Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler and Durham all-rounder Scott Borthwick have all been overlooked.

Left-hander Ballance, 26, has not played a Test since last year's Ashes and replaces Nick Compton, who has taken a break from the game.

Edited by DieselDaisy