We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

On 21/02/2016 at 9:47 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I will have to think about that? I would have Greenidge and Haynes as openers, just nudging out Sutcliffe-Hobbes - and it also means I cannot get Gavaskar in there. I know who I would flood the 3-6 positions with, Richards and then making a decision on the Don or George Headley. I could probably try and get them both in somehow? Gilchrist has to be wicketkeeper. The allrounder is always the most trickiest position as there were so many of them in the 1960s-80s and they are the spine of the team, what gives a team balance? You had Dev, Khan, Botham, Sobers (earlier). The Englishman in me is tempted to say Both but I think Garfield Sobers has that position. Sobers is probably the most natural cricketer there has ever been. He was an one man cricket machine. He could bowl medium fast and orthodox spin, as well as been one of the greatest batsman who ever lived. 

The bowling, well it is tempted to just have a 1970s fast paced onslaught and pair people like Lillee or Willis up with various West Indians but I would prefer someone like McGrath in there. I would probably have a bit more balance to the attack so would pick one ultra quick: probably Holding. I will have to really think about that one? I may actually find room for Anderson. 

Who would be captain? Not Sobers. Almost tempted to find room for Waugh - or even Vaughan - in there.

I'll get back to you on the whole thing.

I just realised that my opening four bastmen could be all West Indians - if I choose Headley at 3 or 4 over Bradman!!

Come on Daisy! I'm going grey waiting for you to nail down a list! Just put Freddie, Botham and Harmison in there get it done. :lol:

Monty is coming home! 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/35764139

Anybody watch the Oman v Ireland match yesterday? A mixture of sublime and ridiculous!

Sublime: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/35765665

Ridiculous: check out the second video on this page for Sorensen's shocking last over: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/35767085 hilariously bad! :lol:

Edited by sturginho

25 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

I wish they'd stop going on about sodding cricket in this office, dont half get on my tits, i hate the sport but i get subjected to a running commentary of 'oh Afridi, you daft slogging bastard!' :lol:

stop being such a spoilsport Leonard! This world cup has been fantastic so far

Pakistan were 201-5 off their 20 overs, Afridi got 49 from 19, if that last ball had cleared the ropes it would have been the fastest 50 by a Pakistani batsman

EDIT: oh and Mohammad Amir is back, and gets a wicket straight away!

Edited by sturginho
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

I wish they'd stop going on about sodding cricket in this office, dont half get on my tits, i hate the sport but i get subjected to a running commentary of 'oh Afridi, you daft slogging bastard!' :lol:

Good taste, the people at your office.

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Good taste, the people at your office.

It's a small town and all the customers are locals and come in and start talking about it too, or asking the score, 9 hours I'm fuckin' stuck in here and it's cricket cricket cricket!

Edited by Len B'stard

Look at the SR for Hales and Roy and explain why they are opening?

Batsman How Out Bowler Runs Mins Balls 4s 6s SR
Total (17.2 overs) 144-for3wickets    
Roy c Badree b Russell 15 20 15 2 0 100.00
Hales   b Benn 28 50 26 4 0 107.69
Root c Taylor b Russell 48 42 36 3 2 133.33
Buttler not out   22 27 17 0 2 129.41
Morgan not out   19 14 10 1 1 190.00
Extras 0nb 10w 1b 1lb 12

1 hour ago, PappyTron said:

I'm embarrassed that Daisy, a cricket fan, has singularly failed to name his All-Time Test 11. Shameful. :(

Heres mine:

Amir Sohail

Saeed Anwar

Javed Miandad

Inzamam Ul Haq

Shahid Afridi

Rashid Latif

Waseem Akram

Waqar Younis

Shoaib Akhtar

Saqlain Mushtaq

Akib Javed

Slight racial bias there :lol:

16 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Heres mine:

Amir Sohail

Saeed Anwar

Javed Miandad

Inzamam Ul Haq

Shahid Afridi

Rashid Latif

Waseem Akram

Waqar Younis

Shoaib Akhtar

Saqlain Mushtaq

Akib Javed

Slight racial bias there :lol:

It's a better list than Daisy's - he said he'd do one and then welched out. :lol: