We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

Interesting food for thought?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/35374444

They are rather missing the point though. The Aussie Bash is on free-to-air Channel 10 and tickets can be bought for around £10 pounds sterling. If we have a British version of the Bash, you know in your heart Sky will snatch it up and ticket prices will be the same as the T20 Blast, £20.

The success of the Bash is not that it is a city based franchise per se, but that it is free/cheap to watch and consequentially ubiquitous.

Imagine if the Blast was on ITV4 and they got the tickets down to around a tenner? It would go through the roof!! It would probably be the second most watched sport after Premiership football (which would not be on conterminously so it would have an open playing field). As it happens, the Blast does quite well regardless; Chester-le-street is usually 60-70% full.

That is the problem, not that we are disregard the city based franchise system in our 'British stubbornness'' but that we allow Sky to snatch everything up and overcharge for everything. They are separate issues.

Edited by DieselDaisy

They are rather missing the point though. The Aussie Bash is on free-to-air Channel 10 and tickets can be bought for around £10 pounds sterling. If we have a British version of the Bash, you know in your heart Sky will snatch it up and ticket prices will be the same as the T20 Blast, £20.

The success of the Bash is not that it is a city based franchise per se, but that it is free/cheap to watch and consequentially ubiquitous.

Imagine if the Blast was on ITV4 and they got the tickets down to around a tenner? It would go through the roof!! It would probably be the second most watched sport after Premiership football (which would not be on conterminously so it would have an open playing field). As it happens, the Blast does quite well regardless; Chester-le-street is usually 60-70% full.

That is the problem, not that we are disregard the city based franchise system in our 'British stubbornness'' but that we allow Sky to snatch everything up and overcharge for everything. They are separate issues.

There's the problem, the ECB is in bed with Sky, so any new comp run by the ECB would be on Sky, so unless there is some sort of breakaway league set up then any attempt at an English Big Bash will not work

There's the problem, the ECB is in bed with Sky, so any new comp run by the ECB would be on Sky, so unless there is some sort of breakaway league set up then any attempt at an English Big Bash will not work

Exactly.

There are two separate issues here, city franchises and accessibility (or lack of). They are not mutually inclusive. Australia had a city franchise already in place before it negotiated the Channel 10 deal. You know the Sky monopoly thing will fuck an English city franchise up the arse and we are back to square one really. You just know it.

The Aussies do this so much better than us, keeping it free to air, keeping ticket pricing down. They have Tests, Ashes, on Channel 10!

Intersting tidbit from BBC about attendances:

Glamorgan played in county cricket's T20 competition as the Welsh Dragons in 2012 and Warwickshire rebranded as the Birmingham Bears for the 2014 season, backed by financial support from their local city council.

The Bears enjoyed almost overnight success, winning the competition at Edgbaston in 2014, then following that up by reaching Finals Day again on their own ground in 2015.

Figures released by the club last week reveal that, in 2015, T20 cricket showed an increase in revenue for the Bears of 43 per cent and 86 per cent in attendances at Edgbaston.

So basically brummies do not realise that Warckshire play in Brum, once the team changed its name they started turning up to games....

Intersting tidbit from BBC about attendances:

Glamorgan played in county cricket's T20 competition as the Welsh Dragons in 2012 and Warwickshire rebranded as the Birmingham Bears for the 2014 season, backed by financial support from their local city council.

The Bears enjoyed almost overnight success, winning the competition at Edgbaston in 2014, then following that up by reaching Finals Day again on their own ground in 2015.

Figures released by the club last week reveal that, in 2015, T20 cricket showed an increase in revenue for the Bears of 43 per cent and 86 per cent in attendances at Edgbaston.

So basically brummies do not realise that Warckshire play in Brum, once the team changed its name they started turning up to games....

It might be detrimental if you apply it to Lancashire (Liverpool/Manchester) and London because of football associated rivalry. Even in my club, I have heard bizarre mutterings of a ''Newcastle'' playing in Chester-le-Street. Now, at least half, perhaps more, of people from Durham support Sunderland!! You know they will link up the team colours also, across sport; Newcastle Falcons usually play in black and white - or just black for home and white for away - as per Newcastle United. I cannot see all of these Durham based Mackems turning up for a Cricket team called ''Newcastle' Magpies' wearing black and white!!

• 3 weeks later...

Really mixed fortunes in South Africa. Beating the home side in the tests was very impressive - a very difficult thing to do - however the (narrow) defeat in the one dayers and whipping in the two T20s proves there is much room for improvement in the limited over sphere. Our Twenty20 team looks fairly clueless to be honest (they are better chasing but seem uncertain when defending, run rate and setting a total).  Enjoyed the series - I mostly caught the tests and the earlier one dayers. Nice change from the Ashes. Excellent wickets.

I will have to think about that? I would have Greenidge and Haynes as openers, just nudging out Sutcliffe-Hobbes - and it also means I cannot get Gavaskar in there. I know who I would flood the 3-6 positions with, Richards and then making a decision on the Don or George Headley. I could probably try and get them both in somehow? Gilchrist has to be wicketkeeper. The allrounder is always the most trickiest position as there were so many of them in the 1960s-80s and they are the spine of the team, what gives a team balance? You had Dev, Khan, Botham, Sobers (earlier). The Englishman in me is tempted to say Both but I think Garfield Sobers has that position. Sobers is probably the most natural cricketer there has ever been. He was an one man cricket machine. He could bowl medium fast and orthodox spin, as well as been one of the greatest batsman who ever lived. 

The bowling, well it is tempted to just have a 1970s fast paced onslaught and pair people like Lillee or Willis up with various West Indians but I would prefer someone like McGrath in there. I would probably have a bit more balance to the attack so would pick one ultra quick: probably Holding. I will have to really think about that one? I may actually find room for Anderson. 

Who would be captain? Not Sobers. Almost tempted to find room for Waugh - or even Vaughan - in there.

I'll get back to you on the whole thing.

I just realised that my opening four bastmen could be all West Indians - if I choose Headley at 3 or 4 over Bradman!!

On 2/21/2016 at 9:12 PM, PappyTron said:

Daisy; what is your all-time Test 11 team? Mine:

Jack Hobbs

Len Hutton

Don Bradman

Wally Hammond

Garry Sobers

Kumar Sangakkara

Wasim Akram

Imram Khan

Malcolm Marshall

Sydney Barnes

Murali

Needs more Shoaib Akhtar to be taken seriously

The quality has gone down now. I think it was Michael Clarke who said to Jimmy Anderson, tailender, ''get ready for a broken arm'', i.e. fairly moronic stuff.

Oh yeh, the Ian Bell ''Sherminator'' jibes by the Aussies in 2005. And the Aussies had another go at Ian Bell for the MBE.

Edited by DieselDaisy

17 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The quality has gone down now. I think it was Michael Clarke who said to Jimmy Anderson, tailender, ''get ready for a broken arm'', i.e. fairly moronic stuff.

Oh yeh, the Ian Bell ''Sherminator'' jibes by the Aussies in 2005. And the Aussies had another go at Ian Bell for the MBE.

there was a good one from 2011 where Mitchell Johnson was batting, Anderson was bowling. Johnson at the non striker's end says to Jimmy something like "oi Jimmy why you being so chirpy mate, you not taking enough wickets?" Jimmy then proceeds to take a wicket with the next ball, turns around and looks at Johnson with a look that says "hows that for you?"