We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

Who are you facing? It is Lancashire and Warwickshire from the northern group.

I saw a lot of the 'Blast' this season; converted a little bit to T20. Durham were shocking in this competition; we never got going. Still, I got a big inflatable finger and a silly hat for free!

David Willey hits 40 ball century and Northants are going to finals day again!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/33895472

I see if your chaps beat Yorkshire, you will rob Durham of promotion to the next stage in the 50 over competition! That is certainly Durham's only chance now of silverware, Yorkshire having completely ran away with the county championship.

England are being pummeled again liked at Lord's. It has been an odd series really, very back and forth, very black and white. One team is either brilliant and the other utter shite and vice versa for another test. There has been no 'close run things'. Look at the tests one by one,

Cardiff: England won by 169 runs

Lord's: Australia won by 405 runs

Edgbaston: England won by 8 wickets (chasing a mere 121)

Trent Bridge: England won by an innings and 78 runs

and currently we have an Australia dominating at The Oval.

That sums it up really: all massive run deficits, the one successful run chase occurring with eight wickets in hand! No draws or nervous close victories like 2005.

One other thing, an Australian victory at The Oval and a 3-2 Ashes would seem to suggest a close series yet it is the nature of the series, England having won with a test to go, which renders 3-2 more effectively England's. I would (tentatively) say that Australia are superior with the bat and England with the ball, the two canceling each other out. And conditions of course playing a role. When Australia have had a good batting wicket (as with the two London wickets) they have dominated; conversely, when England have got the ball swinging they have knocked down Australia. England's top order with Lyth (and Bell) definitely looks shaky even when England are in charge. And tactically, Cook has definitely has outfoxed Clarke. England's fielding has been superior.

PS

Not sure it is worth my while going up to the Durham v Middlesex game, looking at the prospects of play. She how the weather holds up tomorrow. Probably be a typical late-summer washed out draw.

It is raining until one-twoish. I think they might get some play from then on but you have to allow a hour to dry the field. I am travelling from Newcastle area so it is probably not worth it. Here is the forecast, what do you think?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650628

Does not look good, does on?

Give it a rest today and see what it is like for tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get interested in one day cricket. I'm a Test cricket man always have been always will be. The one dayers seem a bit diluted to appeal to people who can't appreciate the subtleties of a five day test where the upper hand ebbs and flows. The fact that this one day series is played after the ashes have finished just makes it seem even less interesting.

I have not actually been watching since the Tests finished (although I've been ill so I have a bit of an excuse). I think they squeezed one T20 in there also. It is a hefty schedule. I think the game, at domestic and international level, is tearing itself apart a bit between the three formats.

Think i prefer 1 day. As in they were hitting sixes every ball trying to make a shot. Also it has a result.

Test match is more a lifestyle probably more satisfying if you can really stay focused. But it gets rained off, ends in a draw.

I watched the 1 day and got some sixes and wicket keeper did a acrobatic save.

Think i prefer 1 day. As in they were hitting sixes every ball trying to make a shot. Also it has a result.

Test match is more a lifestyle probably more satisfying if you can really stay focused. But it gets rained off, ends in a draw.

Better still, you might be better off with Twenty20 over one-dayers.

Better still, you might be better off with Twenty20 over one-dayers.

Is that 20 overs each? They need a TV format. But unless its indoor or cover stadium its hard gaurantee it. I definitely like to see a result on the day. Sure the opener like Boycott who stays in for 2 days is admirable and the technique and concentration needed. Gooch was more interesting, Gower at least tried to play shots.

Is 20twenty on Sky?

Yeah cricket should be on the BBC license really. So should prem. but it's not real country anymore, it's just a world wide corporate gangbang. I guess kids coming up now wont know about real life, argh ive done me back again, I was in the war you know...but they wont and thats a good thing. From my pov at least we arent in virtual reality cloning hologram culture yet. Gonna miss those innovations. TV life was so easy. Pot noodle, pools coupon, ceefax. A bit of rain and I'm done for the day.

• Like 1

Yeah cricket should be on the BBC license really. So should prem. but it's not real country anymore, it's just a world wide corporate gangbang. I guess kids coming up now wont know about real life, argh ive done me back again, I was in the war you know...but they wont and thats a good thing. From my pov at least we arent in virtual reality cloning hologram culture yet. Gonna miss those innovations. TV life was so easy. Pot noodle, pools coupon, ceefax. A bit of rain and I'm done for the day.

Remember when BBC2 was just pages from ceefax during the night? :)

Then if you get up too early you have to wait. But you could use it like a primitive internet. Like check football scores. My friend always used it he had sky too.

Wisdom cricket annuals. I used to buy them. Every single game of the year? Something like that. I read and memorize pages. I liked to look at the names of the players and batting orders. Remedial case.