Slash trying out for Megadeth

As I was browsing through old websites and outdated information, I came across something very interesting. Apparently Slash was rumoured to have tried out for Megadeth in 1988. Anyone able to confirm this? What would Megadeth have sounded like had he joined? Obviously Rust in Peace would have been a completely different album.

Well I love Slash, but he can't shred Megadeth, sorry.

I can't just imagine how it'd sound, I know Slash is a great composer, but in Megadeth 90% of the songs are composed and written by Dave... Dave's also better in shreding.

• Like 1

I have never heard one single song of Megadeth, at least, not consciously. Where do I start? Are they a good band?

Yes they are

Recommended tunes: Holy Wars (it's their biggest hit probably), Sweating Bullets (something a bit different), A Tout Le Monde (if you like power ballads at all) and Headcrusher for brutality.

Edited by Bumble's Bridge Pickup
  • Like 2

Never heard he tried out for Megadeth. Did read that he was hanging out at Dave Mustaine's place during the mid-80's. Dave talked about it at some point. But I don't think it was in 1988, GnR were already on their way by then.

I know he offered to join The Stone Roses, in 1996, after John Squire left. Might have been interesting.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news-article/stone-roses-turned-down-slash_11_05_2006

Back in the early 90s, my friends were indie rock fans and loved The Stone Roses and despised GnR. In that respect, it would have been awesome if Ian Brown had let him join...

If he already wanted to have a big say in the creative output of Guns it sure as hell wouldn't have worked in Megadeth. Dave writes all the songs himself. Don't think he would've fit as a player too.

As I was browsing through old websites and outdated information, I came across something very interesting. Apparently Slash was rumoured to have tried out for Megadeth in 1988. Anyone able to confirm this? What would Megadeth have sounded like had he joined? Obviously Rust in Peace would have been a completely different album.

That is true. Slash and Dave Mustaine were drunk buddies back in the day and they jammed a lot ! Slash told that story in his book i guess.

And yes Slash can shred and play fast but that's not his purpose, he prefers to focus on the whole song atmosphere.

Dave Mustaine was supposed to play on "Nothing To Say" on Slash (2010) but for whatever reason, it didn't happen.

• Like 1

Slash wasn't supposed to join Megadeth in any way. He said in his book that around 1986/87 he used to hang out with Dave and he'd get so high on crack he'd often contemplate joining Megadeth because GnR had to stop rehearsals and recordings for Axl to solve a rape charge. Obviously nothing happened.

Edited by Izzy_Stradlin_XX

I have never heard one single song of Megadeth, at least, not consciously. Where do I start? Are they a good band?

Yes they are

Recommended tunes: Holy Wars (it's their biggest hit probably), Sweating Bullets (something a bit different), A Tout Le Monde (if you like power ballads at all) and Headcrusher for brutality.

+ Peace Sells, Wake Up Dead, Hangar 18, Take No Prisoners, Tornado Of Souls, Symphony Of Destruction, Foreclosure Of A Dream, Countdown To Extinction, Train Of Consequences, Angry Again, Trust, Use The Man, She-Wolf, Secret Place, Time: The Beginning, Prince Of Darkness, Dread And The Fugitive Mind, Kill The King, Scorpion, Dialectic Chaos, 44 Minutes, How The Story Ends, The Right To Go Insane, Washington Is Next, Never Walk Alone...

Well, these are the songs that an average Joe who has never neard of them should check out to get the gist of it.

It should be noted that there're 2 versions of each of their albums released in 80s-90s (up to Risk (1999)). In my opinion, the originals are better in most cases.

P. S. Yeah, and I'm glad Slash never joined Megadeth. It wouldn't have worked.

Edited by Scumcat Esq.

Megadeth 101 (Obviously this is all subjective)

Peace Sells

Symphony of Destruction

Skin O My Teeth

Hangar 18

Sweating Bullets

Train of Consequences

Sleepwalker

Almost Honest

Addicted to Chaos

1000 times Goodbye

Angry Again

Washington is Next

Trust

I am so glad he didn't join Megadeth. I dig Megadeth but GNR is soo much better IMO, I am glad Slash's style and talents were put towards a musical entity that perfectly complimented him and that he had a hand in defining

I never used to care for early Megadeth, or early Metallica, or Slayer (no early/late distinction, really) for that matter. But now, my fav Megadeth stuff is all pre-Countdown to Extinction. Hook in Mouth, and The Conjuring are their best tracks imo. The end of The Conjuring at sufficient volume makes my body do stuff involuntarily.

Listen to;

Last Rites/Loved To Deth, Skull Beneath the Skin, The Conjuring, Good Mourning/Black Friday, Bad Omen, Into The Lungs of Hell, Set The World Afire, Mary Jane, In My Darkest Hour, Tornado of Souls, Hangar 18, Holy Wars... The Punishment Due, Take No Prisoners, Five Magics, Sweating Bullets, Architecture of Aggression, Ashes In Your Mouth, Go To Hell, A Tout Le Monde, Addicted To Chaos, The Killing Road, Trust, Kill The King, Angry Again, Wanderlust, 99 Ways To Die, Return To Hangar, Dread and the Fugitive Mind, Blackmail The Universe, Kick The Chair, Washington Is Next!, Burnt Ice, This Day We Fight!, Headcrusher, Endgame, Black Swan, Millennium of the Blind, Dance In The Rain... just to name a good spread across every album..

Listen to;

Last Rites/Loved To Deth, Skull Beneath the Skin, The Conjuring, Good Mourning/Black Friday, Bad Omen, Into The Lungs of Hell, Set The World Afire, Mary Jane, In My Darkest Hour, Tornado of Souls, Hangar 18, Holy Wars... The Punishment Due, Take No Prisoners, Five Magics, Sweating Bullets, Architecture of Aggression, Ashes In Your Mouth, Go To Hell, A Tout Le Monde, Addicted To Chaos, The Killing Road, Trust, Kill The King, Angry Again, Wanderlust, 99 Ways To Die, Return To Hangar, Dread and the Fugitive Mind, Blackmail The Universe, Kick The Chair, Washington Is Next!, Burnt Ice, This Day We Fight!, Headcrusher, Endgame, Black Swan, Millennium of the Blind, Dance In The Rain... just to name a good spread across every album..

this. the list is almost endless. Gnr And Megadeth are my two favourite bands.

Edited by Kosonen
  • Like 1

I had a hard time leaving stuff out LOL, it's just a good mix though off every album, you could pick almost any songs except a lot of Risk and some off The World Needs A Hero, Cryptic Writings and Super Collider.

And yeah I do recall Mustaine saying Slash tried out, they were doing crack all day and writing the darkest riffs ever apparently.

Edited by RandallFlagg
  • Like 1

I don't care

What he did on the UYI's better than most of Megadeth's discography (and this came from a casual Megadeth fan)

On youtube bro :lol:

I really cannot believe that you not hear one single song from them

You should definitely check them out

I saw them 2 years ago lately and they're an awesome live band too

Damn, been at work all day. If you want raw and aggressive Megadeth you should listen to their first album, Killing is my Business and Business is Good. Super thrashy and raw as fuck with insane shredding. This is probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite album of theirs.

Rust in Peace is probably my favorite thrash album. It's just so full of awesome riffs and Marty Friedman's solos are top notch. He was the perfect counterpart to Dave's songwriting.

I personally would like to hear Slash with Megadeth on atleast one or two songs. It would certainly be interesting to say the least.