If Ron leaves, which virtuoso would you like to see in the band?

Guest Gunns

Anyone remember Nick Sterling? Apparently he tried out for GnR when Finck left, and he was in Bach's band for a while...

n42164.jpg

He might be getting a phone call soon?

I strongly believe he'd be the first one to get a call.
If he's the first one to get a call, then god help us all

Would still be more mature and a better player than DJ lol

Fortus can't handle the Bucket/Ron material. He is a good guitarist but some guys on here make it like he is a virtuoso himself when he is clearly not.

You don't need to be a virtuoso to play Slashs parts, and having seen Fortus play with Dead Daisies (where he is the lead guitarist) he could definately handle the majority of the faster legato/Bucket stuff - He might not be able to do any of the wacky nintendo sounds the BBF spews out but that would be a positive in my opinion.

• Like 2

Ron is a professional at what he is doing. He has been doing the tours for many years

now, and I fully understand his need to expand to new things.

There are thousands of fully competent and talented guitar players and only about ten or

so good rockish bands touring actively. I would just pick the best ones for GNR. They would

have to be able to: play any song note for note (when they so wish), improvise and jam

with style, change the tone and style of their playing depending on the song, create at least

a few catchy riffs, play with soul and heart, drink only in moderation, and look as good as

possible or at least not too weird.

I would create a dynamic duo of two guitar players, both equally talented, alternating solos,

the starting spot and rhythm/lead. My choices fulfilling all the above requirements would be:

1. Two lady guitarist
  2. A lady and Richard
  3. Two handsome hunk guitarists 25-40, preferable brothers or with a long history
    of playing together
  4. A hunk and Richard
  5. A lady and a hunk
  6. If there has to be three then two ladies and Richard, or lady, hunk, Richard,
    or if ladies are hard to find then two hunks and Richard.

I prefer Dj’s guitar tone at times to that of Robin, but he does not fulfill the basic requirement

for a professional musician which is the ability to play songs note by note. Just imagine

a professional piano player who is not able to play from the notes…

I would not pick anyone who is already famous and tired of the circus, unless they meet all

the criteria and are eager to tour. I feel like some fresh new brilliant talent could be good for GNR.

GNR has always been a lot about Axl’s voice, and now it is only about Axl’s voice and talented

supporting professionals.

• 2 weeks later...

Off the top of my head I can only think of one guy who could probably handle Bumbles gig (fretless aside) and that's Nuno Bettencourt... whoever comes in really needs to have a voice. Bucket is a fantastic guitar player but that's it, he doesn't sing and he's not the most interesting on stage performer. A gnr guitarist needs to be a lot of things, personable, top quality (vocals and gtr playing) and they need to be ok with not doing new records every year or 15. Nuno is my preference but If I could choose one guy to have the 3rd gtr spot it always goes to Bumble, I'm used to him now, I like his style, I think he has a good influence on the band even if it is ignored mostly and I really like his solo work (well his last 3 releases, the other stuff was a little too scary for me).

I think getting another shredder in without vocals would be pointless, almost like Metallica replacing newsted with Trujillio... amazing bass player, but he had no vocals... you can't not factor backing vocals into the mix when you're playing modern guns songs with multiple vocals being layered on almost all of the songs... unless you revert back to canning vocals through the PA.... and no one wants that!

• Like 1

I guess if the next record is more of a back to basics type record with Sixx Am production, then Ron may not be needed.

But if they continue with CD type material they will need a Ron.

I don't think they will ever go back to write songs about street life so it's not a given they never use Ron skills.

But with Dj and Fortus and Tommy it's looks like punk Mötley Stones album.

I can't see Axl going back to basics, it's going to be more of a progression of the new-guns sound. He's discussed CD II before and he said a lot of people wouldn't like it so he's spaced songs out on to different records, releasing the easier listening one's first getting people comfortable with the new sound (I'm paraphrashing but that was the gist of it, I think it was in the chats)

No more virtuosos please.

Its very simple for me, i want a hard rock guitar player, no alternative rocker, no experimental, no industrial, simply rock n roll.

1. Option: Slash or Izzy.

2. Option: Old gunner Tracii Guns or old Hollywood Rose Chris Webber.

3 Option: classic hard rock as Bettencourt (Extreme), George Lynch (Dokken), Jake Lee (Ozzy), Kee Marcelo (Europe), Tom Keifer (Cindirella)...

4 Option: new hard rock as Martin Sweet (Crashdiet), Nicki Kin (Vains of Jenna), Lizzy DeVine (Vains of Jenna), Vic Zyno (Crazy Lixx, Hardcore Superstar)

5 Option: no one, only Ashba and Fortus.

Edited by Terzyo

Jake E Lee is probably the only 80's rock/metal guy that would actually be a good fit, IMO.

I think he may have had his fill of egotistic frontmen though.

Nuno, Lynch, Doug Aldrich...those guys just aren't cut from the GNR cloth in my opinion, despite all being great players...then again I don't think Ron or especially Ashba are either.

i think his crying may have got him a new contract possibly , which if true will make me loose the respect i had for him for multiple reasons , but i can never really enjoy this line up with that poor excuse for an axman bj anyway so im not too concerned .

Edit: is there anyone out there better at being slash then slash?

djplant_zps45fffa1c.png

Hahaha what is he holding it looks like a tree

mwuzgi_zps0a0f87b5.png

This idiot reminds me of Butters' alter ego Professor Chaos. He's trying so hard to be bad..... Oh my god look some demented creature pulled a plant out of a pot and cracked the pot!! Holy shit there's soil everywhere!!!?

Edit: is there anyone out there better at being slash then slash?

djplant_zps45fffa1c.png

Hahaha what is he holding it looks like a tree

mwuzgi_zps0a0f87b5.png

This idiot reminds me of Butters' alter ego Professor Chaos. He's trying so hard to be bad..... Oh my god look some demented creature pulled a plant out of a pot and cracked the pot!! Holy shit there's soil everywhere!!!?

That photo is just embarrassing. That's what teenagers do on drunken prom night at the hotel. Not 40 year old men.

This is what I meant. So many talented players nobody has ever heard of. This kind of

baby hunk (after some gym) would attract the girls, women and grannies. His dad is about

the same age as the rest of the GNR and he could be his guardian and guitar tech on tours.

Nuno could be ok too.

The manualist could be their opener and come do a solo when they need a break.