If Ron leaves, which virtuoso would you like to see in the band?

Guest Gunns

No competent guitar player with an ounce of creativity will be chomping at the bit to join Axl's decayed vision of broken promises after what happened to BBF and Buckethead. If they don't have profitable followings it is a dream opportunity but you'll be spending five years repeating yourself and trading productivity for running in other players circles. If you're young and got time on your side to stall and trade for recognition to benefit your post-GNR career then it's a good deal.

No competent guitar player with an ounce of creativity will be chomping at the bit to join Axl's decayed vision of broken promises after what happened to BBF and Buckethead. If they don't have profitable followings it is a dream opportunity but you'll be spending five years repeating yourself and trading productivity for running in other players circles. If you're young and got time on your side to stall and trade for recognition to benefit your post-GNR career then it's a good deal.

Agreed. But the problem with this is money talks, so as long as Axl is willing to pay, then HE MIGHT be able to get someone. But as far as credibility goes, time for a REUNION.

You'd be surprised. A chance to be in a band with Axl Rose, old and weak is still a chance to get paid for working with Axl Rose. That has value.

Edited by Rovim

The paycheck would be superlative and the first two years onstage with the crowds, attention and novelty of playing classic material (yes CD too) would be immense but then you start to say 'So when are we gonna be able to throw down some GNR music of our own?' and this becomes the theme of your life for the next five years.

Guthrie Govan.

Do you really want to waste Guthrie's time too ? Wasn't Buckethead's and Ron's enough ?

Also, not bashing, but there would be a huge problem with Guthrie's image. Besides the fact that he would be horribly wasted, he wouldn't fit AT ALL.

Frankly, even though it's a bit mean, DJ and current Axl totally deserve each other.

• Like 1

As long as he meets these specifications:

-over 35

-extremely proficient with the guitar (be it in a technical way or just an awesome soulful way)

-has an inkling of charisma

-not a cunt

I don't care who it is.

Zakk Wylde! :awesomeface:

Doesn't meet Bacardi's last criteria ;)

Guthrie Govan.

Do you really want to waste Guthrie's time too ? Wasn't Buckethead's and Ron's enough ?

Also, not bashing, but there would be a huge problem with Guthrie's image. Besides the fact that he would be horribly wasted, he wouldn't fit AT ALL.

Frankly, even though it's a bit mean, DJ and current Axl totally deserve each other.

If there's someone who can replace Ron properly guitar-wise, that's him. There's a big if - if Axl actually wanted to go forward with the band, which I believe he won't. In a perfect scenario Axl would get rid of DJ and get Guthrie instead :lol: neither of this is happening though. But yeah, realistically, I would hate Axl forever if he wasted yet another top musician like Guthrie and no, I would not want to see Govan in the band.

Why you think he wouldn't fit? Think of how many thought that Buckethead and Ron would never fit Guns. I am 100% sure that Guthrie is versatile enough not only to play awesome solos and guitar tracks, but compose awesome songs as well.

Whoever it is, will they be going over BBF's parts on a new record or BH's parts or doing something completely new? These are the questions that sent Axl into a cosmic orbit the first time and he is still going to be figuring it out when the new guy leaves and it will be multiplied again like a fractal ice skating rink. Clawing over The Thin Ice.

Can we quit calling anyone who uses a shredding style a virtuoso? Thanks.

A lot of people seem to not know the meaning of guitar virtuoso. I see a lot naming Frusciante as one, but he isn't a guitar virtuoso...

The thread has actually just turned into "Who do you want in GN'R if BBF leaves" Not "Which virtuoso".

PS: My posts about Malmsteen were all jokes. No way do I want that in the band. He is a virtuoso in my eyes, though.

• Like 1

I am sure 99% of you will roll your eyes at this, but I think hiring a guy like Billy Graziadei from Biohazard would be what Axl needs. Some one who hasn't forgotten where he came from and who created a successful band that infuses various styles of music from the ground up in Brooklyn when Brooklyn wasn't a gentrified destination for hipsters and douchebags. The guy still plays aggressive music and doesn't choreograph/mail in shows like the rest of GNR does. He interacts with fans like Ron and is overall an approachable and likeable guy.

Axl needs a kick in the ass from someone in the band. This guy wouldn't put up with Axl's bullshit and he might actually be able to influence/threaten him to release new music with some attitude. Plus we might get some interesting covers out of it. Axl singing on Urban Discipline would be awesome.

I wouldn't want to see another "virtuoso" I would rather see GNR downsized. Ditch Ashba and promote Fortus to lead guitar, then find a new rhythm guitarist and call it good. Bring it back to simplicity like it was with the original lineup.