Last full album you listened to?

Broskirose

THIS WEEK:

AC/DC - Rock Or Bust (twice)

Montrose - Montrose

Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant (a Thanksgiving tradition)

Bruce Springsteen - Live 75-85; disc 1

Jim Capaldi - Oh How We Danced

The Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies

The Kinks - Lola Versus Powerman And The Moneygoround, Part One

Dave Davies - Rock Bottom: Live At The Bottom Line

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways

And the pinnacle...

all of The Band's The Last Waltz box set concert on a 4 hour car ride. One of the more fun times I've had driving ever.

YAY, a Kinks fan! :)

Very much so! Just saw Dave Davies this week in NY so I've now finally seen both of the brothers. The hope is to see them together sometime before they're gone!

I wish theyd just stop being a couple of hoes and just get together before someone else dies. Arsenal supporters too, both brothers :)

Very much so! Just saw Dave Davies this week in NY so I've now finally seen both of the brothers. The hope is to see them together sometime before they're gone!

I wish theyd just stop being a couple of hoes and just get together before someone else dies. Arsenal supporters too, both brothers :)

Its crazy, but it doesn't really look like its going to change. Both are stubborn, and in all honestly, after seeing Dave solo, I can understand why he doesn't rejoin Ray. As much as I want to see it, Dave CAN'T play like he used to, so his presence would be forced. He feeds off the crowd better when he knows people are there for him, and I believe if he rejoined the Kinks, Ray would show him up. Because even though Ray is old, Ray still has it. Dave would be pushed in a corner to a point, and I didn't quite realize that till I just saw him. After seeing him I was like "yeah, I could understand why he wants to just stay doing this." Its so much easier and he's the leader of his band. Same as all the GNR guys having their own bands in a way.

where did he play? if I would have known, I would have gone

Two nights at the City Winery in NY. Excellent venue that I encourage anyone to go to if someone you like is playing there. Really cool place.

He's also playing in Englewood, NJ tonight and I believe its the last night of his tour. Probably still tickets available if you were really interested.

• Like 1

Both of them brothers are really SO underrated it's unbelievable. I dunno what Daves like now but with The Kinks he was a fuckin' monster, a right raver. And Ray, well, suffice to say it appears to me that every one of the big monoliths of rock appears to get credited with doing so much, Lennon and McCartney as songwriters, Pete Townshend in his fleshing out and perfecting of 'the concept album', alll this different shit, originality is another one...when Ray did half that shit first...and often arguably better.

As a songwriter alone though he deserves 800 bajillion times more credit than he gets, it really is criminal.

• Like 2

Both of them brothers are really SO underrated it's unbelievable. I dunno what Daves like now but with The Kinks he was a fuckin' monster, a right raver. And Ray, well, suffice to say it appears to me that every one of the big monoliths of rock appears to get credited with doing so much, Lennon and McCartney as songwriters, Pete Townshend in his fleshing out and perfecting of 'the concept album', alll this different shit, originality is another one...when Ray did half that shit first...and often arguably better.

As a songwriter alone though he deserves 800 bajillion times more credit than he gets, it really is criminal.

The Kinks should really be on anyone's all time top 10 list, top 20 at worst.

And the same goes for their songwriting and lyric writing...top 10.

Sadly, they are as you said, criminally overlooked

• Like 1

And how much more original than The Kinks can you get, the world goes batshit in 67, all about psychedelia and this fuckin' nutbags writing about village greens and cups of tea and all that, love it :lol:

they even made concept albums cool and not the usual pretentious wankfests they were and later drowned in by other bands...yes, Pink Floyd, that means you

Exactly, Sgt Peppers dont count cuz its a scam, Tommy gets a free pass cuz its one the first and pretty mental...but thats the point, you gotta find excuses for the others, The Kinkses ones stand alone.

You know they got banned from America for kicking the shit out of a record exec? :lol: It was made out to be something about Union dues or something but thats the story behind the story, Ray flattened someone important :lol:

• Like 2

We've gone completely off track of this thread, but yeah, I can't help but agree with everything thats been said. I went into full on Kinks mode for the first time in a long time last year, right around this time, and there was a thread about it then. Didn't get much traction, and it was probably just us talking then too lol.

But they are so amazingly underrated I can see why they don't make music together anymore. No one did what they did, and until you immerse yourself in the music I don't think people REALLY understand it. Muswell Hillbillies? What the fuck is that?! No one did anything like that, and its fucking brilliant. Same with Lola. Same with Arthur. Same with Face To Face. Same with the album I just heard on my way home from work because of this thread, Something Else By The Kinks, one of the greatest albums of all time. And then you have later stuff like A Soap Opera, Schoolboys In Disgrace, Sleeperwalker which are all equally brilliant. And then I didn't even mention some of the early stuff. Everybody knows You Really Got Me, but that distortion is still so groundbreaking. And Village Green? Come on, they're amazing.

Dave doesn't have the chops he used to, but he's still got the charm, and that was always half his draw anyway. He won me over during his show because he's so into it that it gets infectious. You can't help but enjoy it and appreciate that he's trying hard. But the guitar talent isn't really there anymore. Arguably, I had a bad seat, or the guitar was low in the music, but he didn't really solo and it was more just chords. Even during big solo songs like You Really Got Me and All Day And All Of The Night, the solos weren't technically very good or audible. I think that made me sad because his playing on the live album I mentioned (Rock Bottom, something all Kinks fans should pick up) is SO good, that it really makes you see how the stroke has affected him. He really doesn't get the credit he deserves though. His guitar playing is the hidden gem of that music, and its all so good and he's known for so little. The story of the Kinks has always been one thats criminally underrated though.

I'll say one more thing though: at Dave's show the other night, I was genuinely taken aback by how well the Kinks songs went over. I know how big they are/were, but seeing people do standing ovations after every Kinks number shows you how much that music has lived on for hardcore fans. I feel like no one ever really thinks it (even I forget sometimes), but just as you said, they're in or should be in everyone's top 10. Their music just has this weird effect of not being as thought of as The Beatles, the stones, Zeppelin, the who, etc.

• Like 1

We've gone completely off track of this thread, but yeah, I can't help but agree with everything thats been said. I went into full on Kinks mode for the first time in a long time last year, right around this time, and there was a thread about it then. Didn't get much traction, and it was probably just us talking then too lol.

But they are so amazingly underrated I can see why they don't make music together anymore. No one did what they did, and until you immerse yourself in the music I don't think people REALLY understand it. Muswell Hillbillies? What the fuck is that?! No one did anything like that, and its fucking brilliant. Same with Lola. Same with Arthur. Same with Face To Face. Same with the album I just heard on my way home from work because of this thread, Something Else By The Kinks, one of the greatest albums of all time. And then you have later stuff like A Soap Opera, Schoolboys In Disgrace, Sleeperwalker which are all equally brilliant. And then I didn't even mention some of the early stuff. Everybody knows You Really Got Me, but that distortion is still so groundbreaking. And Village Green? Come on, they're amazing.

Dave doesn't have the chops he used to, but he's still got the charm, and that was always half his draw anyway. He won me over during his show because he's so into it that it gets infectious. You can't help but enjoy it and appreciate that he's trying hard. But the guitar talent isn't really there anymore. Arguably, I had a bad seat, or the guitar was low in the music, but he didn't really solo and it was more just chords. Even during big solo songs like You Really Got Me and All Day And All Of The Night, the solos weren't technically very good or audible. I think that made me sad because his playing on the live album I mentioned (Rock Bottom, something all Kinks fans should pick up) is SO good, that it really makes you see how the stroke has affected him. He really doesn't get the credit he deserves though. His guitar playing is the hidden gem of that music, and its all so good and he's known for so little. The story of the Kinks has always been one thats criminally underrated though.

I'll say one more thing though: at Dave's show the other night, I was genuinely taken aback by how well the Kinks songs went over. I know how big they are/were, but seeing people do standing ovations after every Kinks number shows you how much that music has lived on for hardcore fans. I feel like no one ever really thinks it (even I forget sometimes), but just as you said, they're in or should be in everyone's top 10. Their music just has this weird effect of not being as thought of as The Beatles, the stones, Zeppelin, the who, etc.

Wow I went to that show, it was really great. I was a bit disappointed with his outfit, but you can't win them all. Great show as always from Dave. Ever been to the City Winery? Great place for food, friends, fun, and Frank.