True Detective Season 2 Discussion

RussTCB

The season had its highlights. Vince was great in the last few episodes, Colin was great, I think the actors proved themselves but they couldn't save the show. There was that intense shootout that reminds me of Heat except with a lot of dead civilians and police officers. And Leonard Cohen's Nevermind is a great song.

The season was a mess, I hoped they redeem themselves each episode, they improved but they fucked it in the last. I guess we are supposed to believe Ani supplying the documents to that reporter is going to make things right. Velcoro being the father of Chad all along. Plus being the father of Ani's child I guess is some sort of closure. I guess Jordan is helping raise the baby. Damn she looked good.

To me it was pretty similar but S2 is more like The Wire set up.

McC and Woody really carried S1 for me when I was iffy there was Lone Star. It was a fresh voice too.

On 2 that voice isnt as fresh and the scope was looser so Colin and McAdams were pretty intense it lacked that buddy cop fun. A lot grittier LA noir feel.

Pizz has a different take but he's not quite as visionary as certain parts of S1 made you feel you found something special. The last ep of S1 killed that little dream. It was just back to genre.

The misdirection trick gets old. But still my favorite show. Enjoyed every ep. Pizz definitely asked them to act a lot, they pulled most of it off but once an ep it was like cut, cut, cut!

Say what you want, but this season sucked. I love you wasted, but terrible season. Performances were good, but nothing to write home about like season 1. First season was great up until the lackluster finale. This season was great when Colin was crazy but other than that, meh. Should have just killed everyone. Whatever. Wonder what Axl's opinion on it is. Same as Dexter finale. "it fucking sucked"

There was much to like about this season imo. I hope he takes the best elements of both seasons and succeeds in realizing his vison. He has yet to really pull it off perfectly like say, Breaking Bad, and without the director from season 1, I'm not sure he'll ever be able to give people the vibe from season 1. The actors and their chemistry was a big element as well with MM, and Woody.

S1 had that one episode The Fate of All Men where McC starts quoting Yellow King spiel to get a read on the two investigators. It was basically the misdirection or misreading of the audience making it seem better than it was. But for S2 we knew pretty much nothing like that will happen. I've tried to rewatch S1 knowing and it's impossible because it's kind boring without the speculation.

You get the world you deserve. If you're looking for thrills and spills its the wrong show. Its just grinding this Pizzlatto philosophy, to the end. Each character got what they deserve but each one took different way to accept it. McAdams got away because she was blameless. Everyone else got the world they deserved. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

But maybe that does suck, but he grind it out. Writing wise he done good. But I think we want something different.

Hopefully he goes more QT next time or maybe he's just Pizz. I doubt he's going to get exploitation and entertaining. He does a bit like with Ray boozing but its just a hook.

There was much to like about this season imo. I hope he takes the best elements of both seasons and succeeds in realizing his vison. He has yet to really pull it off perfectly like say, Breaking Bad, and without the director from season 1, I'm not sure he'll ever be able to give people the vibe from season 1. The actors and their chemistry was a big element as well with MM, and Woody.

I think he's the writer but a lot of S1was down to the director. S2 is basically a different show. If S1 was Usual Suspects meets Deliverance, then S2 was The Wire meets Twin Peaks.

My guess is he'll widen the scope even more and go Sopranos meets House of Cards with some conspiracy in Washington. This time even more characters and more shady Frank type guys. Maybe New York. The Major of New York is always corrupt yo. Nic Cage 9mm meets House of Cards. Charlie and Cagey. This time for real. GNR to do sountrack to True Detective 3.

HBO has been quiet about this season. I read an article suggest HBO should fire the pretentious douchebag of a writer and hire somebody else. That would be good, now we all know why the first season was better. It was the director.

This season did have some great scenes, but I feel like only the writer was in on it.