True Detective Season 2 Discussion

RussTCB

Man that was some gun fight. Scary, reminiscent of Heat.

Also, how hot was Kelly Reilly in this episode? Each scene she was in she was showing more and more.

Kelly Reilly has gone nude in the past, so I won't be surprised if she shows more stuff later on, Im only waiting for Rachel Mcadams to show some stuff lol

• Like 1

crackpot theory: the murderer is the bar singer

So it seems Im not the only one who thought about this

they show her every episode for no real reason, she serves 0 purpose and this week her knees (and hand?) is all fucked up. she may not be THE person but she definitely is a link or something there is 0 reason to have her in the show and to keep showing her(unless she is one big red herring)

Edited by bran

crackpot theory: the murderer is the bar singer

So it seems Im not the only one who thought about this

they show her every episode for no real reason, she serves 0 purpose and this week her knees (and hand?) is all fucked up. she may not be THE person but she definitely is a link or something there is 0 reason to have her in the show and to keep showing her(unless she is one big red herring)

I think she's just used as a trademark for when Frank and Ray meet up at the bar. No Red Herring or swerve, just a prop and an atmosphere setting.

I'd love to reach for something like that this season, but I don't see anything like that happening; especially with the amount of hype a lot of us had for the finale last season. It's just a straight forward crime-drama with a little mystery but not much.

Bottom line for me is, I didn't set the bar high at all this season because I knew from the beginning of the casting that it couldn't top Woody and MM's performances. It just is what it is. This season isn't terrible but it isn't anything to brag about either.

I'm assuming gangster Vince set up Collin to get revenge on the rapist of Collin's wife by giving him a false lead to gain his trust/favor. Collin killed the guy, but since they apparently they found the real rapist, Collin is pissed at Vince.

Elsewhere they're investigating the murder of Vince's former well connected business partner Casper who was involved in alot of corruption in the city/police. That's what I got from it.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

It's getting better as it goes, I guess. The shootout at the end of Episode 4 was good. But can someone tell what the hell is actually happening this season? Am I just missing it or is it actually as difficult to follow as it seems?

Yeah, it seems a little difficult. From what I am getting Frank is this former crime boss who wants to go legitimate, he pays Caspar the City Manager who's this corrupt pervert, his entire forture to invest in his land deal. I guess they are buying the land for development. Anyway Caspar is murdered by a rival who has yet to be revealed. The three cops are being sent to investigate but I think they were sent to help cover up the case (unbeknownst to them)

It seems complicated but I think it will make sense in the end.

Yeah, the big reveal last night was Frank lied to Velcoro to get him corrupted and do his dirty work. Now he is going to Frank for answers.

What I want to know what is up with Paulie and Afghanistan? We know he's gay, but he's hiding something else.

Well, it seems then that I'm the only one who has been enjoying it so far ): I'm optimistic. First season didn't really pick it up until the fourth episode, so let's wait. For this season they wrote it all before recording, so we know at least that in theory that story is fully tied, something that didn't happen in the first one - which was good, but full of holes and points with no closure at all.

I only watched the first three episodes last year and was too bored with it to continue.

So episode four is where it heats up?

Unlike most of you I love Vince Vaughn though. So maybe I will revisit year one and watch season two

What I like about this season better than the first that it is not as pretentious. The first season felt like it was written by a college student (then again, HBO does have a lot of interns working on their shows like Game of Thrones and it SHOWS), the second season just feels more like an ordinary cop show. Except this time everyone is corrupt.

What I want to know what is up with Paulie and Afghanistan? We know he's gay, but he's hiding something else.

Im 100% sure that something is going on between him and his mother

yeah that relationship is fucked up. also i agree with georgy, anyone think something is up with how he got 30k and brought it back. money he "bled" for. i wonder if he killed a family or something for it? if it was legit money i doubt he would have stashed it in his crazy moms trailer.

Edited by bran
  • Like 1