In Defense Of Chinese Democracy

The concept of defending music is beyond me, except in cases where the lyrics are controversial. You either like the music or you don't. No need to either defend the existence of any particular form of art nor to defend your own subjective preferences in music. Art exists because some one creates it, it gets spread if it has qualities to other people than the artist, and you like something because you are wired that way and you can't help yourself (nor should you).

• Like 2

Lens quick capsule review: Bollocks!

Credit to Bill Hicks!

The concept of defending music is beyond me, except in cases where the lyrics are controversial. You either like the music or you don't. No need to either defend the existence of any particular form of art nor to defend your own subjective preferences in music. Art exists because some one creates it, it gets spread if it has qualities to other people than the artist, and you like something because you are wired that way and you can't help yourself (nor should you).

I think the idea is that people defend things because they believe they belong higher on the totem pole of artistic merit. i.e. the different between Mozarts Reqiuem and Dee Dee Ramone trying his hand at rap :lol:

I mean if you love the album that's fine, not everyone is going to love it, but remember the reviews were mostly positive and there were a handful of negative ones. The reasons why people didn't buy it has to do with the public being indifferent to it, which is worse than being a lemon of an album.

• Like 1

Lens quick capsule review: Bollocks!

Credit to Bill Hicks!

I think the idea is that people defend things because they believe they belong higher on the totem pole of artistic merit. i.e. the different between Mozarts Reqiuem and Dee Dee Ramone trying his hand at rap :lol:

Well, if someone said to me that they think CD is crap and belong at the bottom of the totem pole of artistic merit, then I would just say that, "that's to bad, I kinda think there are some great songs there, so I disagree," or something to that effect. There really wouldn't be anything to argue about - it is all personal preferences. I can't really go, "NO!! You like it!". Nor could they claim that I hate it. It is what it is. It's all down to what we like and what we don't like, and that decision is owned by none other than ourselves. UNLESS, there was some objective criteria to go by, so that we are talking about an objective teotem pole of artistic merit. In that case, it would make sense to argue over the position, or even argue about what criteria to use and weigh. But for all practical puproses, when someone claims they are "tired of defending CD", they are basically saying they are tired of trying to argue why someone else should like it.

Some of those who adore CD need to get over the fact that many don't...and visa versa.

The problem is, most people who adore Chinese Democracy, can't accept the fact that many people think it's utter shit. They can't live in the world where people do not appreciate or love whatever shit Axl produces, so they need to create a defense force. Hence this thread, hence the Axl lunatics.

Some of those who adore CD need to get over the fact that many don't...and visa versa.

The problem is, most people who adore Chinese Democracy, can't accept the fact that many people think it's utter shit. They can't live in the world where people do not appreciate or love whatever shit Axl produces, so they need to create a defense force. Hence this thread, hence the Axl lunatics.

I kinda/sort/alittebit used to fit into that category. I wouldn't say I couldn't fathom that other people didn't like it, but I did like it enough that I was surprised so many people on the forum hated it. Nowadays, I just like the album myself and don't really care if anyone else does or not.

Seems like the top detractors of the album are either people expecting Appetite Pt. 2 from the band that released a double-album of mostly filler tracks and a cover album in between the two, or Slash nut-suckers who simply hate Axl and were champing at the bit to give 1-star reviews and complain about how awful Axl is

Even if a reunion happened that could lead to a new album (lol it won't), people still wouldn't be happy :lol:

I kinda/sort/alittebit used to fit into that category. I wouldn't say I couldn't fathom that other people didn't like it, but I did like it enough that I was surprised so many people on the forum hated it. Nowadays, I just like the album myself and don't really care if anyone else does or not.

It's the way it should be.

I'm not a hard rock fan myself and my favorite album ever is a mix of electronic and organic sounds, with lots of layers and a mix of various styles of music. It's pretentious and it took a while to get released. Chinese Democracy tries to be all that and fails miserably. So count me out of those who wanted AFD or Slash fan groups. My favorite albums share a lot of characteristics with CD. Thing is CD is just not good.

I'm not a hard rock fan myself and my favorite album ever is a mix of electronic and organic sounds, with lots of layers and a mix of various styles of music. It's pretentious and it took a while to get released. Chinese Democracy tries to be all that and fails miserably. So count me out of those who wanted AFD or Slash fan groups. My favorite albums share a lot of characteristics with CD. Thing is CD is just not good.

Blind Axl fan tactic #1: People didn't like Chinese Democracy because they were expecting AFD Part II or simply because Slash wasn't on it. :facepalm:

• Like 1

I don't give a shit about who does or doesn't like an album but I will never in a million years understand why some people spend years on a forum stating that they don't like it on a daily basis. If somebody didn't understand that those people didn't like it the first 583,281,340,234 times that it was stated, they are never going to. The rest of us already know.

• Like 4

Yeah, I mean, I was excited back then. Axl making an industrial/experimental record? With fucking Robin Finck as the lead guitar player? How could that go wrong? Well, it went wrong. Turns out experimental music is not what Axl does best. It's the hard rock sound and the powerful/cheesy ballads that make Axl the musician he is. He realized it himself and dropped the experimental thing a while ago already. He realized he's nothing more than a 80s rock n' roll singer who can play the piano. He accpeted it. His fans should also accept he's not a Trent Reznor kind of guy. Chinese Democracy is a very bad rock album, you don't see people talking about it on "complex" music forums, you don't see people praising it on Pink Floyd, Queen or NIN forums... Only Axl fans like it (or force themselves to like it).

Edited by maynard

Seems like the top detractors of the album are either people expecting Appetite Pt. 2 from the band that released a double-album of mostly filler tracks and a cover album in between the two, or Slash nut-suckers who simply hate Axl and were champing at the bit to give 1-star reviews and complain about how awful Axl is

Even if a reunion happened that could lead to a new album (lol it won't), people still wouldn't be happy :lol:

And this is why sane people think the Axl nutters are out of their fuckin' minds.