The Official FIFA World Cup Thread 2014

Tater Totts

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it wasn't cruel. It was a clear penalty. He stepped on Robben's foot. Look the rerun.

Robben did overact it, but he would have fallen anyway.

We were way better the second part. We deserved to go to the next round.

So...yay!!!!!

• Like 1

No it wasn't cruel. It was a clear penalty. He stepped on Robben's foot. Look the rerun.

Robben did overact it, but he would have fallen anyway.

We were way better the second part. We deserved to go to the next round.

So...yay!!!!!

Sneijder shouldn't have been on to score your first goal, if you're going to talk about infringements in the box.

Unfortunate choice of words in this last sentence from BBC live coverage...

"Mexico look far more comfortable with the conditions here at Estadio Castelao. There have started with a real zip in their passing, Hector Herrera has been a handful and Miguel Layun has also caused the Dutch problems. It might be more than 30 degrees down there but Mexico coach Miguel Herrera is not taking his jacket off. Imagine he might have a slightly sweaty back."

They're not allowed to take their jackets off :)

It was more in reference to the last sentence about "sweaty back"; 'wetback' is an American racial slur against Mexicans (though it's almost certain the commentator didn't realise this, just bad luck on his part :P ).

I imagine most people in the UK wouldn't know what 'wetback' meant in his defence. Didn't register with me watching it, although I've heard the term before.

How unfair is football sometimes. :lol:

It was cruel. I've enjoyed watching them both but the Dutch were camped outside the Mexican area for most of that half. If you let that happen there's always a chance the opposition will score. Which they did. It was a clumsy challenge that led to the (excellently taken) penalty too. Very fine margins. Edited by ADPT

Mexico gave it away. They had no answer to the position change of the Dutch and after the last drink pause they played panic football, relying too much on Ochoa to save the day. Holland kept pressing until they deservedly tied and the penalty... well, let's say even if Robben dived, that foot of Marquez shouldn't have been there. Great match.

• Like 1

That was awful. Sport is cruel sometimes, Mexico totally deserved to go through. I'm so gutted for all my friends :(.

It was cruel and unfair. Chile and Mexico should be still there. I am looking forward someone tearing Brazil and the Netherlands apart before the final.

I never saw Sneijder's goal. I haven't seen 75% of the game actually. I was way too nervous. So can't talk about anything basicly, just what I heard :lol:

Ha! And you're telling us that the Netherlands did it better and deserved to win?

the-best-of-the-skeptical-3rd-world-kid-

:P

I never saw Sneijder's goal. I haven't seen 75% of the game actually. I was way too nervous. So can't talk about anything basicly, just what I heard :lol:

Ha! And you're telling us that the Netherlands did it better and deserved to win?

the-best-of-the-skeptical-3rd-world-kid-

:P

Haha, but people told me ;)

Mexico was better the first half, not the second. When we started playing, they had no answer. It was a penalty as well. I have seen that one. Look good at the replay.

But we always deserve to win :lol:

Edited by MB.

Yeah, he is a diver, always has been. I disliked him for that still playing for PSV, wrong team.

But he has been taking down for real a couple of times in this game as well.

Most good attackers are divers as well btw, part of being one. :shrugs:.

Still this was a clear penalty. You might not like it, but it was. If it wasn't I would have said it as well.

Yeah, he is a diver, always has been. I disliked him for that still playing for PSV, wrong team.

But he has been taking down for real a couple of times in this game as well.

Most good attackers are divers as well btw, part of being one. :shrugs:.

Still this was a clear penalty. You might not like it, but it was. If it wasn't I would have said it as well.

It (Robben going down) looks worse in slow-motion, these things often do, at the time I immediately thought 'that's going to be given'. Edited by ADPT

I lost alot of respect for Robben after his flop act throughout this game. He's a cry baby who finally got a call that he didn't deserve to get. The Mexican defender barely grazed his leg/foot. The ref felt obligated after the no ~ call from earlier. The first no ~ call was worse then the one at the end.

Nice job from Mexico, they deserved to go through.