Slash interview with SlashFrance.com… why "Don't Damn Me" was never played live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBPbGiJfW0o#t=41

summary:

slash talks about the new albums artwork and how it was chosen and why

on if the new albums guitar solos were done in 1 or 2 takes

what fans should expect at the Paris gig in november

asked if he would play "don't damn me" on the upcoming tour because it was nave played in live with GNR…. "it was never played because there was too many words"

asked to say some words to the French fans

Silly reason, seeing as how Coma has more words.

Do you think he might have meant a lot of words relative to how the vocals/lyrics took place in specific parts of the song? Coma is a mellow, drawn out, almost a ballad at times song.........while Don't Damn Me is a blast to your face with a lot of lyrics sang at a fast pace?

and locomotive

Axl said Don't Damn Me was speak itself on the record, no need to play it live though

No, he said that about 'Get in The Ring'.

I have long suspected that 'Don't Damn Me' was never done live because it would be too hard to spit those words out rapid fire like it appears on the record. On the record, its in a studio with optimum conditions. Bit harder to replicate that live sprinting across the stage, as he did back in the day.

Do you think he might have meant a lot of words relative to how the vocals/lyrics took place in specific parts of the song? Coma is a mellow, drawn out, almost a ballad at times song.........while Don't Damn Me is a blast to your face with a lot of lyrics sang at a fast pace?

Maybe, but I think stuff like Garden of Eden and Perfect Crime are a lot harder to sing as well.

Even if that is what he meant, odd choice of wording for it :lol:

Still, surprised they never played that live but did play something like Garden of Eden.

• Like 2

Maybe, but I think stuff like Garden of Eden and Perfect Crime are a lot harder to sing as well.

Still, surprised they never played that live but did play something like Garden of Eden.

Only played 'Garden Of Eden' twice though, and then never again.

I'm not sure Slash has ever been accused of being the most articulate guy in the world!

• Like 2

Lol ok guys, don't take it out of context, I mean question was about Conspirators playing "Don't Damn Me". He just said that if he hasn't played it with Guns back in the day he probably won't play it with Myles on the next tour. That's it. He adapts setlists to Myles sometimes to see if the guy is ok to play this song or not. Believe it or not, Myles is a great vocalist but if he doesn't feel comfortable with the song, the band won't play it.

Ps: i conducted the interview and i knew that was a tricky question ! Ha!

• Like 1

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. It's a question that Slash2Baz asked Slash, and Slash responded with logical reasoning. They were not going to do it anyway and quite frankly, I wouldn't want them to, since the more new materials they release, the less likely that the GNR deepest cuts will be considered to be played.

Edited by Anguyen92

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. It's a question that Slash2Baz asked Slash, and Slash responded with logical reasoning. They were not going to do it anyway and quite frankly, I wouldn't want them to, since the more new materials they release, the less likely that the GNR deepest cuts will be considered to be played.

You want them to play more new material ? I think they'll add some but they always keep some GNR/Snakepit deep cuts in the set ! ;)