News Night Discussion of Chinese Democracy (2008)

Stumbled across this again on Youtube today for the first time in a while. Brings back memories of the album's release...quite a good discussion on the album, I think. Thoughts on it looking back?

Very perceptive, I hadn't seen this before so thank you.

Together they kind of got it down. The astonishing anger and defiance built over a decade, how it's a 1900's record in the 2000's, the everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink-thrown-in production.

Full five stars from me.

Never seen this before and it was quite interesting. Aside from the awful line "famously bad covers album The Spaghetti Incident?". Yeah, its not well received, but its actually a great album and I don't know if it was ever considered "famously bad". Otherwise though, some great points are made and all it really makes me think is that I wish Axl had given up on this so much sooner. Sure there are a handful of people that will think its a masterpiece, but overall its a big joke, and even though I like more than half of the album, nothing on it justifies the wait which you can't take away from an album like this.

There's always gonna be a stigma and it really stings when the person in the video says "a third of his life". Thats so true and I hate to think about the album in that way because it kills me to think of how much Axl we missed in that third. He made magic in 6 years of his life, and the rest of it was wasted on an album that could never top that. All we have is STILL just Chinese Democracy and there's really nothing to say to deny the amount of wasted years.

I never understood why people listen to others reviews and beliefs on music. Music is about individuality. It's infinite. I don't need someone in a cheap suit in front of a camera to sway me or speak for me. Therefore, I never have nor ever will, read or listen to someone's review on Guns N' Roses.

• Like 2

The album was never going to live up to the hype of how long it took to release it.

Was 15 years wasted when Axl had intentionally planned on going on a long break after UYI anyway and was financially set? The challenge seemed to be about survival, keeping the name going, and challenging himself when he really had no challenges. GNR could have called it a day, maybe should have called it a day instead of trying to carry on, but Slash's departure and how Axl was going to carry on WAS the challenge, wasn't it?

No one will agree whether he succeeded or failed. It all depends how you want to look at GNR from 2002-2014.

I never understood why people listen to others reviews and beliefs on music. Music is about individuality. It's infinite. I don't need someone in a cheap suit in front of a camera to sway me or speak for me. Therefore, I never have nor ever will, read or listen to someone's review on Guns N' Roses.

It's just an educated opinion. After a while of reading music reviews, I came to know the names of the reviewers I trusted and liked.

It's kinda like asking a friend what he thinks of it, only it comes with a reputation. In the end, it's just an opinion and I've learned a lot about music and albums I listen to from music reviews.

The reviews for Chinese were especially interesting, at least the ones not written by cupcakes, but you can always stop reading if you think it sucks.

Edited by Rovim

I enjoyed this... somewhat :) but I really don't need reviewers to tell me if something is good or bad. I like the record for my own reasons, just like I like Appetite or Illusions I & II for my own reasons. It's a great record, I can't think of a single other album that has had the same shelf life as far as almost continuously on my Ipod or laptop... No other new album has managed to keep my attention for years after its release Death magnetic... loved it, still like it but I haven't listened to it in its entirety in 2/3 years, same with almost any other record I've bought in the past 5/10 years...

Unless they agree with you, I assume. Then, they just make sense.

• Like 1

Unless they agree with you, I assume. Then, they just make sense.

Yep, didn't expect anything different from an Axl Rose fan. They are very sensitive.

On topic: Cool video, but anything related to CD really bores me to death now.

CD didn't take so many years to be completed. There were years of inactivity related to Axl having to go to court and do depressing shit.

What he did wrong was to announce too early that he was working on an album. Had he said in 2006 "and now I've started working on something that will be called Chinese Democracy..." there wouldnt have been such scandal among fans, media, etc.

CD didn't take so many years to be completed. There were years of inactivity related to Axl having to go to court and do depressing shit.

What he did wrong was to announce too early that he was working on an album. Had he said in 2006 "and now I've started working on something that will be called Chinese Democracy..." there wouldnt have been such scandal among fans, media, etc.

But he'd already released OMG in 1999 and played CD songs from 2001. Had he not have played new songs then, his continuance of the GN'R brand would have been even more criticised. He had to prove he had new music in order to justify his return with a new band.

But he'd already released OMG in 1999 and played CD songs from 2001. Had he not have played new songs then, his continuance of the GN'R brand would have been even more criticised. He had to prove he had new music in order to justify his return with a new band.

yeah, he did what other people wanted.... having to prove stuff must have been uncomfortable for him, being the way he is. Maybe thats why the whole shit got even more delayed.

I just think he didn't work the whole time (13 years) on CD... dunno.... maybe he did.... but its hard to believe.

I don't know. I don't buy that. Too many layoffs. They can't all be battling personal demons, various boogeyman, and the universe itself.

2 gigs in January 2001, 2 more in December. In between?

No gigs until August 2002. The first seven months of the year?

2003-2005 : The Dark Time. What happened here?

I've seen this tv report but honestly these people sat in a board room and probably listened to it once (or twice tops). The only review I took serious at the time was the Rolling Stone one.

To give an album a legitimate review or have an opinion on it, you really need to experience it in a setting other than a "board room."

I don't know. I don't buy that. Too many layoffs. They can't all be battling personal demons, various boogeyman, and the universe itself.

2 gigs in January 2001, 2 more in December. In between?

No gigs until August 2002. The first seven months of the year?

2003-2005 : The Dark Time. What happened here?

As an effective procrastinator myself I can tell you that the album taking 13 years to be done is bullshit.

I don't doubt he had to spend a long time in court and the depression derived from that is what puts you in bed for years. We don't know what happened in those gaps of time when he disappeared but I dont think they were entirely dedicated to CD.

• Like 2

Yeah, and he went on that I'll fated Chinese Democracy tour - it was delayed as much as it was because I think Axl is and was then a chicken shit about this album and calling this band guns n roses.

As an effective procrastinator myself I can tell you that the album taking 13 years to be done is bullshit.

I don't doubt he had to spend a long time in court and the depression derived from that is what puts you in bed for years. We don't know what happened in those gaps of time when he disappeared but I dont think they were entirely dedicated to CD.

And that's the thing.

You can't tell me he spent 3 solid years of trying to move heaven and earth to get that project done.

Was there some? Presumably. Intertwined between long stretchs of "eh, fuck this, can't be bothered".

I've seen this tv report but honestly these people sat in a board room and probably listened to it once (or twice tops). The only review I took serious at the time was the Rolling Stone one.

To give an album a legitimate review or have an opinion on it, you really need to experience it in a setting other than a "board room."

Well, if you are only allowed to listen to it under high scrutiny and secrecy, I would much rather listen to a promo. I personally dislike reviewers who only listen to something once and don't give it time (which CD needed), you might as well be judging idol.

You haven't read my review of CD?

Shame on you.

• Like 2