All The Slash talk on here got me thinking...

Went and back and listened to the songs I liked off the Snakepit albums. Dime Store Rock, Monkey Chow, Life's Sweet Drug, Been There Lately. They actually hold up better than the VR albums, and any of the the recent solo stuff. I wish he's ditch the modern rock sound and play more bluesy old school. The riff on World on Fire is cool but the way it sounds and what MIles came up with lyric wise is terrible.

Anyone agree ....or disagree?

Snakepit was just Slash's idea of what could have been the new Guns album at the time. It needed work, it needed input from Axl and the rest of the band. I really dislike both Snakepit albums, but with the vision of the rest of the band it could have helped construct a good Guns album.

If you believe Axl, Slash wasn't open enough to let Axl work on it, but as a stand alone piece of music it's not inspired. It doesn't have many of the elements you look for when you listen to a Gn'R album.

Edited by Rovim

I liked the Snakepit album as I remember especially I Hate Everybody But You. Neither Can I is kind of like IRS if it had a Axl vocal. Snakepit and Izzy solo fit pretty well together. It's looser than anything GNR outside of Lies. Catcher might fit with them. A looser blusier record could have been their Exile if they just let it fall apart in a cool way.

I think as part of a GNR record 3 or 4 could have worked, say with material off Ju Ju hounds and some Axl songs like TIL and Catcher. I reckon all the songs go through a bit of a make over when Axl adds a vocal, they must revise it a little based on what lyric/vocal melody works?

Anyway I don't find The Garden, Garden of Eden, Don't Damn Me, Civil War, Locomotive, Coma that exciting. I mean Civil War is almost GNR's best song and I like the song ideas but they seem undercooked and not as natural sounding as Izzy's material on UYI. Slash seemed to bring the metal on UYI. The balance of the different writers worked.

But it's just the lyrics Axl was coming up with seem to be either rage or heartbroken, which doesn't work that well on Stonesy Aerosmith songs.

Izzy wrote singles like YCBM and Don't Cry, Axl wrote Nov Rain and Estranged.

Went and back and listened to the songs I liked off the Snakepit albums. Dime Store Rock, Monkey Chow, Life's Sweet Drug, Been There Lately. They actually hold up better than the VR albums, and any of the the recent solo stuff. I wish he's ditch the modern rock sound and play more bluesy old school. The riff on World on Fire is cool but the way it sounds and what MIles came up with lyric wise is terrible.

Life's Sweet Drug is a fantastic Slash song.

yep. and slash wrote coma. that was an amazing song.

it's a cool song but it's not a single. Slither and Fall to Pieces are great singles.

Took me a while but I genuinely think Libertad is an amazing record.

Other than this, I love both Snakepit records.

The only problem I have with Slash, really, is the Conspirators.

I think they are a great live band but the songs themselves don't really do anything for Slash's guitar playing. They are bland.

I liked the Snakepit album as I remember especially I Hate Everybody But You. Neither Can I is kind of like IRS if it had a Axl vocal. Snakepit and Izzy solo fit pretty well together. It's looser than anything GNR outside of Lies. Catcher might fit with them. A looser blusier record could have been their Exile if they just let it fall apart in a cool way.

I think as part of a GNR record 3 or 4 could have worked, say with material off Ju Ju hounds and some Axl songs like TIL and Catcher. I reckon all the songs go through a bit of a make over when Axl adds a vocal, they must revise it a little based on what lyric/vocal melody works?

Anyway I don't find The Garden, Garden of Eden, Don't Damn Me, Civil War, Locomotive, Coma that exciting. I mean Civil War is almost GNR's best song and I like the song ideas but they seem undercooked and not as natural sounding as Izzy's material on UYI. Slash seemed to bring the metal on UYI. The balance of the different writers worked.

But it's just the lyrics Axl was coming up with seem to be either rage or heartbroken, which doesn't work that well on Stonesy Aerosmith songs.

So basically, what Axl claims he tried to do. 3 or 4 Snakepit songs reworked to fit the Gn'R style, Izzy could have helped if they took a year to calm the fuck down and work shit out. Keeping it together is more important then even a new album. So you have 4 songs from Slash, 4 from Axl, 3 from Izzy and Duff too and one of the songs could have been Fall To Pieces with Axl's input, the others could have been the best ballads from Chinese with Slash's input. Down By The Ocean from Izzy. Could have also written a Patience kinda thing, a few acoustic tunes too.

It was possible, but they didn't recognize their limits or the damage their selfish choices inflicted on the band as a whole. What whole? it was every man to himself at that point. A modern Aerosmith Rocks in the style of Guns, with Axl's lyrics and melodies and Slash's riffs and solos with Izzy's Stones foundation could have been very interesting. Axl wanted to do a melting pot kinda thing again, but with different influences, or at the very least with more influences from more modern bands like NIN.

I think Slash wasn't interested in that. It worked for AFD cause Slash was down with what influenced that record. Just from listening to what he chose to release as a solo artist, it seems he's not that flexible when it comes to the styles he plays. He just wants to do the metal, hard rock, a few ballads here and there kinda thing. Which is totally alright, but it doesn't work for Guns. You have to let the rest of the band members rape it in the ass like Duff said and then it's a real Guns song.

Slash got tired of the butt fucking he endured both personally and musically (as he saw it) and the compromises he had to make and also share his musical ideas (Fall To Pieces) were crucial for it to even have a small chance of working and he didn't allow that to happen. Axl probably gave Slash enough reasons to not give a fuck and stick to his guns. But Slash could not imagine a Guns N' Roses without him, so he was certain Axl will have to take him back after he quit, but you don't mess with crazy. Slash's biggest mistake after giving away the rights to the Gn'R name to Axl.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I think Slash wasn't interested in that. It worked for AFD cause Slash was down with what influenced that record. Just from listening to what he chose to release as a solo artist, it seems he's not that flexible when it comes to the styles he plays. He just wants to do the metal, hard rock, a few ballads here and there kinda thing. Which is totally alright, but it doesn't work for Guns. You have to let the rest of the band members rape it in the ass like Duff said and then it's a real Guns song.

Source for that Duff quote?

Source for that Duff quote?

My ass.

Giving up the rights to the GNR name probably didn't seem like that big of a deal until they realized it made all of them dispensable as band members.

To me some of Slash's stuff has a Stooges groove to it as much as it does Aerosmith.

I'm sure with Slash being a collaborator in the studio, even though it's his name on the marquee, his playing and songs have to fit what the singer's doing. That's how it goes when they collaborate. Axl didn't want to collaborate towards the end until it was too late, for some reason he had it built up in his head to take a long time in a recording studio. There's so many artists that would dispute that and most of your classic albums were done in 3 months. In cases like Springsteen, where he legally couldn't go into a studio for a year, he built up something like 60 songs. The first album's always the easiest because it's all the material they've done in the clubs. Second album is a challenge, it also has the sophomore jinx hanging over it. Third album is the make or break, GNR didn't go by those "rules".

I think he had to have been disappointed how the all star album did though. Santana's first all star album got huge sales, second time, not so much, third time, not even a whimper.

People might go "why doesn't Slash just apologize" and do what Axl wants, but he got tired of doing what Axl wants after 10 years and they make enough money to not worry about it.

So basically, what Axl claims he tried to do. 3 or 4 Snakepit songs reworked to fit the Gn'R style, Izzy could have helped if they took a year to calm the fuck down and work shit out. Keeping it together is more important then even a new album. So you have 4 songs from Slash, 4 from Axl, 3 from Izzy and Duff too and one of the songs could have been Fall To Pieces with Axl's input, the others could have been the best ballads from Chinese with Slash's input. Down By The Ocean from Izzy. Could have also written a Patience kinda thing, a few acoustic tunes too.

It was possible, but they didn't recognize their limits or the damage their selfish choices inflicted on the band as a whole. What whole? it was every man to himself at that point. A modern Aerosmith Rocks in the style of Guns, with Axl's lyrics and melodies and Slash's riffs and solos with Izzy's Stones foundation could have been very interesting. Axl wanted to do a melting pot kinda thing again, but with different influences, or at the very least with more influences from more modern bands like NIN.

Slash got tired of the butt fucking he endured both personally and musically (as he saw it) and the compromises he had to make and also share his musical ideas (Fall To Pieces) were crucial for it to even have a small chance of working and he didn't allow that to happen. Axl probably gave Slash enough reasons to not give a fuck and stick to his guns. But Slash could not imagine a Guns N' Roses without him, so he was certain Axl will have to take him back after he quit, but you don't mess with crazy. Slash's biggest mistake after giving away the rights to the Gn'R name to Axl.

Agree. But I would add that biggiest mistake maybe was that Slash didn´t quit the day Izzy did. If that would´ve been the case both of them would forced Axl to change many thing right there. They were in their biggest tour, no way Axl would´ve cancelled. Despite the fact that Slash and Duff were afraid Axl would do it. (That´s why they gave the name away if we believe what Slash and Duf said on the matter) So the compromises you mentioned would´ve taken place back in 1991. All of them were sick and tired of Axl´s behavior not only Izzy. In 1995 was too late to reach a compromise. Axl was in total control. Slash and Duff didn´t want to be there just obeying Axl´s orders.

Giving up the rights to the GNR name probably didn't seem like that big of a deal until they realized it made all of them dispensable as band members.

To me some of Slash's stuff has a Stooges groove to it as much as it does Aerosmith.

I'm sure with Slash being a collaborator in the studio, even though it's his name on the marquee, his playing and songs have to fit what the singer's doing. That's how it goes when they collaborate. Axl didn't want to collaborate towards the end until it was too late, for some reason he had it built up in his head to take a long time in a recording studio. There's so many artists that would dispute that and most of your classic albums were done in 3 months. In cases like Springsteen, where he legally couldn't go into a studio for a year, he built up something like 60 songs. The first album's always the easiest because it's all the material they've done in the clubs. Second album is a challenge, it also has the sophomore jinx hanging over it. Third album is the make or break, GNR didn't go by those "rules".

I think he had to have been disappointed how the all star album did though. Santana's first all star album got huge sales, second time, not so much, third time, not even a whimper.

People might go "why doesn't Slash just apologize" and do what Axl wants, but he got tired of doing what Axl wants after 10 years and they make enough money to not worry about it.

Slash is not dedicated enough to the quality of his recorded music, and still value his dignity too much to do that.

Agree. But I would add that biggiest mistake maybe was that Slash didn´t quit the day Izzy did. If that would´ve been the case both of them would forced Axl to change many thing right there. They were in their biggest tour, no way Axl would´ve cancelled. Despite the fact that Slash and Duff were afraid Axl would do it. (That´s why they gave the name away if we believe what Slash and Duf said on the matter) So the compromises you mentioned would´ve taken place back in 1991. All of them were sick and tired of Axl´s behavior not only Izzy. In 1995 was too late to reach a compromise. Axl was in total control. Slash and Duff didn´t want to be there just obeying Axl´s orders.

No. I don't believe it was too late in 1995. It was too late to reach an ideal situation compared to what you've suggested, but there was still something that could have been saved imo. Slash, Duff, and Axl failed. They couldn't keep it together. If they kept it together I would have considered it a much better scenario then what we have now. That could still have been achieved in 1995.

Edited by Rovim

People might go "why doesn't Slash just apologize" and do what Axl wants

I really don't think anyone besides a few outliers on the forums would say that.

And even if they did, they're idiots. Why would Slash shame himself and give away his dignity just to give people what they want? fuck that. I don't want it like that. Like baby cried, and Slash had to calm his tits down. No.

Maybe a better way will be for Axl to grow the fuck up and let go of his anger. Just a little. At least make an attempt of not acting like a total shloongerberger. Work shit out with Slash privately if you want to. But don't expect the world to get onboard your crazy truth crusades. We care more about hearing Axl and Slash together again then hearing about how fuckin' evil Slash is. Let it go. Or don't, but I hope Slash never apologizes publicly. Even if he owes Axl an apology, it should be between just the two of them.

(like Slash attempted in 2005 when he came to Axl's house and was DENIED entrance by Beta at the door)

What a stupid man Slash must be. He really thought enough time has passed and he could reason with him. S'all black and white for Axl when he thinks you've done him wrong. You're his enemy from now on.

Edited by Rovim

This is a prime example of both Axl and Slash needs each other to create something really good

If The World lacks of good riffs, Slither lack of good lyrics

But if you combine the two songs, it got much better

Wow, thats fucking incredible. You've succeeded in making me really happy and really sad all at the same time (so is the life of a Guns N Roses fan). Can't say seeing Slash open for Aerosmith last night didn't make me think about a GNR reunion. I love Slash's band, but seeing them in a bigger venue showed how much it really was something special what GNR was. Slash's band played great, but it was sad to see the lack of enthusiasm from the audience. You can only imagine what it would be like for a GNR reunion and how awesome they'd all sound at the top of their game.

And that video... well, just makes me sad how much we've missed in 20 years. As much as I love Slash's current output and enjoy Chinese Democracy, they never quite found partners to really propel their music the same way GNR's did. Sad how different and explosive they are and how much amazing music we haven't heard cause they're fighting.

• Like 1

As i understand a part of this argument... Slash had a series of songs that were possibilities... but given the previous participation of Axl and the perfectionist ways that caused years to elapse in recording of the UYI sessions.. Slash and perhaps the rest of the band were interested in getting something out while they were still the going band of the time. Several of them have stated from time to time that they were looking at 5-8 years minimum from the release of UYI and the release of anything new due to Axls lawsuits, time agenda and his own desires to change up the sound of GNR. Matt has said when they landed in LA after the last show.. Axl said.. "See you in 2 years" and that was 93.

Regardless of the denial that Axl claims "Sorry" is not about Slash I do think that the line "Just shut up and sing" was directly a quote from Slash in some manner or form. I think the powerplay was in that there was not going to be anymore give on the bands part to Axls ways.. and the 4 hour phone call and the ensuing war of words were..... Slash and perhaps others forcing the issue with Axl . BAsically

Get off your ass, rehearse with the band, record with the band and do your fucking part in the band and Axl just met force with force. If you really study the lyrics to Sorry you definately can see the roots of the conversation. With a huge list of complaints ranging from late shows, boycotts, ten minute rants, riots...unresolved issues from recording sessions on both sides of the argument and sheer outright fucked up advise from beggers and hangers on of the band... no way no how was there ever going to be a civil resolution to the differences.

Here is where effective managment really fucked up... obviously the guys were on meltdown.. instead of having your posse be your mouthpiece.. or your lawyer doing their thing...or your parasite, girlfriend, drug dealer or whoever be the go in between for your band mates..... figure out a way to make it all happen to the benefit of the music.

Agree. I don't know why he ditched his GNR sound. Maybe he is tired of being thought of as GNRs guitarist? Idk, but his solo in Back and Forth Again is better than 90% of anything he's ever written including GNR.

Slash wanted to do stuff with Axl, but they couldn't agree on which direction the band should have gone. They had oppossing views and none of them were willing to back down or negotiate. That's when they needed a moderator, a person who could make them understand you can't work in a team if you are not flexible!

All this bullshit makes me think GN'R was a fucking amateur band in terms of composing and managing the band.... They thought they could be artists and managers of themselves..... they fuckin' ruined it for being stubborn, stupid and selfish.

Axl wanted to relax and take 10 years to make an album. Slash wanted to be active because he can't stand not playing or not writting or not recording. So, there you have two personalities and ways of working that are completely oppossed. One is a procrastinator, the other one is a hyperactive kind of person. How you mix the both?

G: Have you talked to Axl at all?

S: No. Me and Duff are real close, we talk all the time. Axl and I haven't talked, I don't think we've actually come to terms with what we're gonna do.

G: Is he mad at you?

S: Not that I know of. As far as I know everything's cool.

G: Was it true about Axl wanting to sue you over use of songs?

S: Yeah. At one point he didn't like the songs, and all of a sudden he wanted them and the [snakepit] record was already done. That set me off. What the f.ck is that? It turned into a bit of a fight.

G: Has it smoothed over at this point?

S: So far, yeah. You know how Guns is. I refuse to f@*king stress out over anything. This [tour] is going back to the old days of actually working hard, putting everybody on a tour bus.

G: Back to the basics.

S: Yeah. It's something that he doesn't necessarily agree with. This is a great outlet for me. I refuse to stress out on Axl's opinion of what I'm doing or what Guns should be or shouldn't be doing.

G: So this is kind of a vacation from Axl.

S: (laugh) I'm not gonna say that. It's not really a vacation from Axl, it's a vacation from the whole mega rock thing. This is a lot like the old days. It would have been great at some point to have been able to get Guns to do this. Luckily I have this band and can go and do it. I'm having a f.cking great time.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=53940

If you believe Axl, Slash wasn't open enough to let Axl work on it, but as a stand alone piece of music it's not inspired. It doesn't have many of the elements you look for when you listen to a Gn'R album.

Alright, let's just discuss that. It's not that I don't believe Axl but maybe Slash didn't want to wait 4-6 years for Axl to "work" on the songs and have a final product? I don't see Slash telling Axl not to work on his songs at all.

Axl said "I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off." - I find that very hard to believe. Who was going to write lyrics for those songs then?

Alright, let's just discuss that. It's not that I don't believe Axl but maybe Slash didn't want to wait 4-6 years for Axl to "work" on the songs and have a final product? I don't see Slash telling Axl not to work on his songs at all.

Axl said "I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off." - I find that very hard to believe. Who was going to write lyrics for those songs then?

As far as I know, Slash wrote some lyrics and he could always find a singer that will write a bunch of generic and shitty lyrics (and he did)

Tbh, I believe Axl, cause at that point in time, it was all ego, all the way. For both Axl and Slash. I can see Slash being difficult and not wanting to share just cause Axl was probably almost impossible to work with at the time.

Not letting Axl even touch Fall To Pieces - if that's true, then it fits with Axl's version regarding Snakepit and being specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes.

I even think Slash didn't really want to be out of Guns for good. No way in hell was that his plan imo. That was also just a power play. It didn't work for the music with Snakepit, and it didn't work when he closed the door for Axl to take him back when he not only quit, but also didn't keep his fuckin' mouth shut. Even if Axl drove him to talk shit about him in the press, it didn't serve Slash very well in the long run imo.

If you take into consideration what Axl said about November Rain and Estranged and how difficult Slash and Duff were and didn't want to work on these songs, and you believe Axl, it does paint a picture of 2 assholes not willing to compromise (Axl and Slash) and Slash being very difficult to work with near the end.

I think Axl was always difficult to work with, but Slash lost his patience, which really, I can underdstand. Axl brought Paul Huge to the fold. I really like what Paul did musically, but that was a huge fuckin' mistake. You don't fuckin' do that to your band members. It showed Axl didn't respect Slash enough at the time cause fuck me if he didn't know Slash was gonna be pissed as shit about it, and for good reason.

Edited by Rovim