chinese democracy : Axl's autobiography ?

Hi everybody,

have you ever considered chinese democracy as Axl's autobiography ?

I remember him saying that songs order were important.

I would say :

1, CD : issue with his step/father

2, SR : leaving indiana

3, better : drugs ?

4, SOD : afd (retrospectively speaking)

5, ITW : érin

6, TWAT : seymour (retrospectively speaking)

7, CITR : his desillusions during uyi tour

8, scraped : post spaghetti incident

9, R&B : ??

10, sorry : previous members of gnr

11, IRS : problem with justice

12, madagascar : his pastlife, that looks like a big storm

13, TIL : his mother

14, prostitute : message for gnr fans

your thoughts ?

I think you're looking too hard into this.

Why does this have to be the first reply when someone has a semi-original idea for a thread? And is it really stretching it to think that any artist's lyrics are autobiographical? This is meant to be a fan site after all.

God knows guns fans have gotta live with disappointment, and mygnr is still really the only place to vent without being crucified by the kool-aid crew. But we should still enjoy some genuine fan threads that - gasp - don't bitch about either Axl/tb or slash & friends.

On topic: Some of these had occurred to me. A while back, when SOD was still The Blues, someone suggested that this was the only song that Axl wrote dealing directly with his relationship with Slash. I heard the song in a whole different way after that.

• Like 1

Just as you think one way, I have the right to think the other.

You can make things anything you want with a little effort. I personally do not believe axl was penning his autobiography. Sure, he wrote about what he was feeling at the time and I'm sure he still had a chips on his shoulder to make it work but I don't think it's as deep as you apparently think.

I've always assumed Prostitute was either about Axl's feelings towards the way he's perceived or the fans perception of the band. You're not wrong, and neither am I, or anyone else. It's all about interpertation, until Axl explains the songs. Which may not happen.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go that far and I don't agree with some of the song meanings, but everyone has their own perception of what the songs mean. I know Shackler's is definitely about school shootings though.

Did Axl say that?
Yeah. I think it was actually on this forum somehwere.

I'd definitely say its autobiographical, a lot of the tone of CD is reflecting on the past, ranging from melancholic, regret, spite, contempt, realization and acceptance. I've always felt that some of the lyrics are surprisingly open, almost as if he's singing from his shrink's couch (never having been to one, so take that one with a grain of salt).

Chinese democracy is about the fear in china cominism , axl say that in the album book i think , sr is about a shoouting and sod is for dylan the son of seymour , madagascar is the metafory comparation of the book "the old man and the sea" and martin luther king fighting for the humans rights , sorry for my bad english

I always thought an interesting spin on the Sorry lyrics was it been aimed at the fans. Listen to it and imagine he is singing directly to members of this forum and I think you'll find a great fit!

Axl wears his heart on his sleeve so I assume that the songs are autobiographical but remember poetic licence too, sometimes people just fall into a great lyric and don't attach too much meaning to it, other than it sounding cool. I mean he's never had stardust at his feet but its an awesome lyric.

Shacklers is about a school shooting though not leaving Indiana.

I think catcher in the rye is more likely to be about chapman putting some slugs into lennon and trying to justify it in relation to holden caulfield's sentiments on phonies and fame, then axl going off on salinger for writing the book that inspired this murder, it has practically zero to do with the uyi tour.

Imo you are right about Street of Dreams, TWAT, Sorry and Prostitute. As much as we all would've liked CD to be a kinda concept record and explain more than it ought to, it is quite sporadic in its themes.

My view:

1, CD : Chinese government

2, SR : Interscope/UMG

3, better : Stephanie and Beta (how Beta "better" rescused him after his depression when things fell apart with Stephanie)

4, SOD : Slash

5, ITW : Beta

6, TWAT : Stephanie

7, CITR : 1st half of song - how Axl feels like Holden Caulfield; 2nd half of song - impact Chapman's murder or Lennon on Axl

8, scraped : Axl's "bi-polar disorder"

9, R&B : Axl's arms dealer brother in law (when he was married to Erin) and his views on Islamic fundamentalists

10, sorry : Slash, media and fans

11, IRS : All the litigation Axl's dealt with

12, madagascar : Axl's isolation after original Guns broke up

13, TIL : his mother

14, prostitute : message for original gnr lineup fans and the media