MyGNR's "Top 10 GN'R Songs" Discussion Thread

There Was A Time is good but not great before the outro, but the outro kinda creates a cycle full of brightness that intensifies what came before, Coma is also good but not great before that outro, and is amplified by the same happy fate. I just happen to admire Coma more than TWAT, NR, Locomotive also have this occurrence to me but that is kinda their point, perhaps the band would've made other focal points if they lacked the outro stunners. Then again, how many bands can keep coming up with showstopper endings?

• Like 1

1. November Rain

2. Civil War

3. Rocket Queen

4. Used to Love Her (arseno hall)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh7cas-gSi0

5. Knocking on Heavens Door (tie / Wimbley and LA Forum)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2E4P7EJMEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EWrAIXhyhw

6. Mr Brownstone (The Joint, DVD live)

7. Pretty Tied Up (Tokyo live)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e-IZ6WQO9w

8. Night Train

9. Patience (live, Chicago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPKuhcftYe8

10. Paradise City

* My Michelle

* November Rain

* The Garden

* 14 Years

* Pretty Tied Up

* Locomotive

* Estranged

* You Could Be Mine

* Don't Cry (alt)

* IRS ( antiquiet leak )

edit: didn't read terms and conditions :lol:

Edited by DR DOOM

Guest Gunns

I think I just came up with perfection:

Coma

Sweet Child

Catcher in the Rye

Better

One in a million

Civil War

Locamotive

Estranged

You're Crazy (Acoustic)

Oh My God

If I had 11 songs, Prostitute would have made the cut

Edited by Gunns

Coma

Sweet Child

Catcher in the Rye

Better

One in a million

Civil War

Locamotive

Estranged

You're Crazy (Acoustic)

Oh My God

I went back and forth on having Prostitute on my list too. I ended up leaving The Blues on there but it was close.

Coma

Sweet Child

Catcher in the Rye

Better

One in a million

Civil War

Locamotive

Estranged

You're Crazy (Acoustic)

Oh My God

I went back and forth on having Prostitute on my list too. I ended up leaving The Blues on there but it was close.

Both are wrong, but The Blues is more wrong. :P

Coma

Sweet Child

Catcher in the Rye

Better

One in a million

Civil War

Locamotive

Estranged

You're Crazy (Acoustic)

Oh My God

So's yer face.

SICK.

BURN.

:lol:

• Like 2

Coma

Sweet Child

Catcher in the Rye

Better

One in a million

Civil War

Locamotive

Estranged

You're Crazy (Acoustic)

Oh My God

no u

I really wanted to put OMG on my list, but just couldn't bring myself to give anything the axe.

Don't know if it's been asked yet, but do Don't Cry (Original lyrics) and Don't Cry (Alt lyrics) both count as Don't Cry or are they separate?

Forgot about Catcher...I may need to edit my picks.

Edited by luciusfunk

Why only compile a top 10? Wouldn't it be more interesting to do a top 50? It's fairly predictable what tracks are going to make the top 10 if you ask me. Estranged, November Rain, Jungle, SCOM, maybe TWAT, Rocket Queen, Coma, YCBM etc. I would be interested to see where some of the lesser-celebrated songs end up.... I would be interested to see where a song like IRS or Shacklers would get compared to Mr Brownstone for example.

Edited by Towelie

Why only compile a top 10? Wouldn't it be more interesting to do a top 50? It's fairly predictable what tracks are going to make the top 10 if you ask me. Estranged, November Rain, Jungle, SCOM, maybe TWAT, Rocket Queen, Coma, YCBM etc. I would be interested to see where some of the lesser-celebrated songs end up.... I would be interested to see where a song like IRS or Shacklers would get compared to Mr Brownstone for example.

A top 50 would basically encompass the bulk of their catalog. Also, most people don't care much beyond the accessibility of a top 10. Top 15 is kind of pushing it. 25, you start losing people. 50, and not only would a lot of people not bother voting, but you'd have far less casual readers paying attention, AND it would be virtually impossible for us moderators to tally up the votes.

I'll give you that an initial Top 25 may be interesting and then we only do a countdown-poll thing with the top 10, but I sort of like the constraints that a Top 10 pushes on people.

I think you'll be surprised by what may end up in the top 10 - why? Because we're a fan forum, filled with die-hards, so a lot of people AREN'T going to be voting for the 'standard' tunes like WTTJ and Paradise City (I didn't). Instead you'll have fans who know the back catalog quite well and will vote for hidden gems.

Good example: look at how many people have voted for the acoustic rendition of You're Crazy so far...a shit ton of people. You think that would happen outside a fan forum? Or if we were doing a Top 50, do you think so many people would feel forced to put it in their top 10?