A matter of dignity

auad

Gunsnroses.jpg

Ok, we all know that Axl following eternally on tour win easy money, living in the past and everything. But one fact we can not deny is that he can't sing anymore most of the old songs, and in some cases, the "new music" of chinese democracy.

Any sensible person that goes to any show of the current incarnation could agree with that. Musically speaking, some of the songs are well performed by the band, such as "Rocket Queen", others resemble badly finished versions, such as "Estranged".

Listening to Appetite for Democracy's Mp3 becomes clear that Axl is no longer able to sing most of the songs. vocals on "Estranged" is almost ridiculous, voice on "Better" is embarrassing.

The band is only reasonable. Considering a level of spectacle, when we talk about GNR, is far below expectations.

The question that remains is this ... and about dignity? it does not matter?

Edited by auad
  • Like 3

It don't really matter. But OMG, I can't deny: good, but needs more napo.

Better then nothing I guess. It's good enough for me after 5 to 10 shows, when things get rolling for Axl when he's on tour. When I saw new Guns in 2012, Axl sounded great.

Edited by Rovim

Good post, auad. But dignity has not been Axl's major concern for some years now. The guy who sang about refusing to prostitute himself for money and fame is long gone now. The guy played in a fucking wedding for money. Let's not even mention his refusal to release new music (which he probably hates by now, seeing how he returned to his hard rock roots since Ashba joined). Simply pathetic.

• Like 1

Axl's had his share of bad performances during the last few years and from 2011 onwards his voice was at an all-time low. However, he did sound great during 2014, the Vegas residency was a joy to watch. Sure there are still ups and downs but what I find the most ironic about the whole thing is how people live in an illusion that Axl during the 80's and 90's always delivered a perfect performance.

During his younger age his voice was generally stronger and he didn't try to preserve it (or so it seemed) therefore going all-in every night. Despite that there were shows when he was far from his best. The difference is that back then there were bootlegs and a couple of shows but most live recordings never reached the public. No smart phones, no YouTube, no fancy recording devices. This made it impossible that Axl's ''bad'' performances ended up on the internet whereas nowadays you get videos from every single show. The possibility of hearing a bad Axl performance are infinitely larger than 20 years ago.

Take Use Your Illusion for example. Guns N' Roses played what, 192 shows? How many shows are actually out there? Rio de Janeiro, St. Louis, Indiana, New York (The Ritz), Chicago, Oklahoma, Paris, Tokyo, Argentina (1992), Argentina (1993) and a couple of others that are not of the same quality. My point is: out of nearly 200 shows during the band's peak you have 10-20 shows and the rest are hidden in Axl's vault. The chances of hearing a bad Axl performance are much slimmer.

The fact remains people are more lenient to a 28-year old Axl who was cool as fuck than they are to a 50-year old Axl that seems to be a bit overweight. In no way am I suggesting Axl sounds better or whatever, I've always said he will never match his former self (he was close in 2006 and 2010 though) but things are not as bad as people make them out to be.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1

He has sounded like shit for years. He will have his moments here and there but despite what the delusional forum members seem to think he hasn't sounded good in a long time. Those shows in 06 were good but hardly mind-blowing by any means. And lately he really cannot sing. There is no band, no new music on the horizon. There is no interest from Axl to create anything new or even release what was already made. Theres no hope for GNR unless we have a reunion. And if we do, it will just be a nostalgia tour. There will never be any new music as a result of it. Axl has painted himself to be the victim numerous times and numerous time we have given him the benefit of the doubt. But in hindsight, he brought everything bad upon himself. He destroyed GNR and he buried the legacy with his cover band. Axl is the dictator and his employees are just stool pigeons. Meanwhile Team Brazil looks for new ways to manipulate Axl playing on his emotions. They likely justify their actions to themselves by arguing that Axl is in a better place now. Yes of course he is, he's fucking 52. I could never have imagined back in the late 90's that this would be the end result of GNR. It's fucking sickening......

Edited by smokingarthur
  • Like 2

He has his moments but I found this year's performances rather weak, struggling during This I love when that was a song he used to hit out of the park anytime live. Yet he might sound terrible for the majority of a concert and then come out of left field with a great performance, you can never tell. Which makes GnR the most unpredictable band in the world. ;)

2006-2010 he had some outstanding shows, maybe 75% of those dates usually after the first few shows, he sounded fucking brilliant. We saw after he'd cleared the pipes in the Vegas residency the guy is still capable of being Axl Rose. 2012 also had a few stellar dates but nowhere near as powerful/consistent as that which came before. He clearly can still sing many of the tracks, it's getting in tune to that sharpness and consistency which he seems to have trouble gathering, yeah some jamming with the band and rehearsing and also actually working on music on downtime would of course help him get rid of the early tour clutter but we know he won't do that.

I also strongly disagree with 'he's sounded like shit for years/delusional fans', I'm one of his biggest critics when it comes to him failing to reach his very high potential both live and in the studio and 2006-2010 had some truly outstanding performances repeatedly if we hold a live performer as a human and aged figure not a constantly outrunning your horizon shadow from former glories with unrealistic expectations.

And yeah, all this touring except end of VR was pretty awful and the 2011- now touring ain't too interesting except for a few classics returning, so he has sounded dodgy for a few years, not since 1993 though.

In my opinion, when people gets too frustrated, they start questioning everything ... even other people's dignity ....

I think that we can give a break for those people, because there's the possibility for them not being in their perfect mind ...

Dignity is such a noble and serious thing ... we all should make a self examination before talking cheap words about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dignity

I saw axl in buenos aires this year and him sound very well

Did him now?

This is why I reckon there'll never be live performances of CD leftovers - he might not be able to sing some of them

Not CD leftovers. Followup album. Referring to the next record as CD leftovers would be like referring to CD as TSI leftovers.

If the crowd cheers and seems to be cracking jokes and less bl- nevermind. Seriously tho, if the crowd, present and conscious in the active sense and not the forum nerds like us, if they don't boo and seem happy to have parted with their cash, Axl's 'dignity' will keep remaining intact despite the fact he surely is aware he is etching out a very weak GNR existence when he could be achieving so much more, in a different mountain range than the monetary gain and sometimes his performance is nowhere near the peak of his powers, combining these together may reach into Axl Rose's subconscious dignity... though perhaps he still believes he is acting on The Plan and he therefore conceals his dignity in a shell of endless procrastination. BBF threatening to jump ship might just shatter his illusion.

I'm just happy that Axl's still around, playing gigs, working on records (even if it takes some time), I hope he'll be around forever.

He's older but so are we, life moves pretty fast.

His voice changed but what can he do about it? If you don't like don't listen, don't go.

All this bashing is unecessary, you call yourself fans and hang out here but all I see is criticism. Let's just enjoy that all these guys are all still around and making music, it's a miracle :)

• Like 2

I'm just happy that Axl's still around, playing gigs, working on records (even if it takes some time), I hope he'll be around forever.

He's older but so are we, life moves pretty fast.

His voice changed but what can he do about it? If you don't like don't listen, don't go.

All this bashing is unecessary, you call yourself fans and hang out here but all I see is criticism. Let's just enjoy that all these guys are all still around and making music, it's a miracle :)

In my opinion, this isn't criticism ... this is ofending someones dignity ... that's really bad and low.

People just get really bored on the internet and their one track minds reflect reality. There are people out there who realize a 53 year old who screamed the truth his whole life is respectable, others are obsessed with their own personal entitlement. Either way, the situation that we are in 2014 will never change. Singing how he feels comfortable right now is because the guy has offered a lot of great things that have nothing to do with being consistent in releaseing albums, there have been 200+ shows in the last four years including an eight month break. That is why he dosen`t have near 1992 vocals like in 2010, it has nothing to do with no dignity. To any other fan base this would all be incredible and until it became stale soon after it happened infact was. Which is unfortunite that people don`t reflect on it in a different way, yet we have two horrible viral videos that no casual fan will do simple research to understand. Mad respect comes from the fact that he took most of his own insecurities then rammed them down everyone`s throat. Bet you he could rip pretty hard for another 100 straight shows if he wanted fried incompetent vocals and a number of sugeries in case it was a misconception that when you scream for over 30 years there are pre-causion measures to take. He no longer works at tower video because this is no fucking fairy tale even though it must look easy, so i`m glad he followed his dream to success for better or worse. #endrant #hailtotheking #metalgod #godlessman

Edited by Street Of The Blues
  • Like 2

WTF is going on around here?

Someone thinks Axl's live vocals are horrid, and Axl should just stay at home cause what about dignity. We're still not quite sure how Bumble's cock fits into the equation.

What About Dignity? is the actual title of CD2 btw. #insider

• Like 1