U2 'Songs of Innocence' Album // iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour 2015 Discussion

Black Sabbath

I absolutely love Invincible. It should have been included on the album. This album is definitely one of their masterpieces. I don't judge one album against another, the albums just accompany where ever Im at in my personal life. ATYCLB brings me to magical places and this album does that, too. But I believe U2 have been on a winning streak since War. Every album has at least one classic song on it. No band has ever achieved what this band has musically. I won't argue about U2 with people. I just share my love for it and leave it be.

• Like 1

What are the chances U2 will add Innocence + Experience dates for 2016? I'd love to see them again, but don't know if I want to eventually jump the gun for Chicago.

the chances are probably REALLY good considering they tour is called iNNOCENCE + ePERIENCE Tour. They haven't released Songs of Experience yet so unless they plan on keeping their word regarding that release this year my guess is that album comes out after the tour and they add more dates in 2016. They have to, they've skipped so many markets including their own home country so.....

What are the chances U2 will add Innocence + Experience dates for 2016? I'd love to see them again, but don't know if I want to eventually jump the gun for Chicago.

the chances are probably REALLY good considering they tour is called iNNOCENCE + ePERIENCE Tour. They haven't released Songs of Experience yet so unless they plan on keeping their word regarding that release this year my guess is that album comes out after the tour and they add more dates in 2016. They have to, they've skipped so many markets including their own home country so.....

I think I can hold off until 2016 for a closer show to me! I have to say, I totally forgot about Songs of Experience. I guess the promises of Songs of Ascent right after No Line made me a bit disillusioned (although Bono didn't fuck up like Axl lol), but I am psyche to hear Experience is still in the cards. Any word on it?

Honestly, I think Songs of Innocence is a top 3 U2 album for me with Achtung and Joshua Tree

I'm expecting Songs of Innocence to be played in its entirety for the tour, but also Songs of Experience to be released at some point this year whether it's a couple singles from it or it's released during the tour. The band seems to be on fire lately, and they need to keep that fire burning strong throughout the year.

I started reading a book about U2 today, and noticed Cedarwood Wood and Iris come up when it talks about Bono's childhood..made me look up the meanings behind tracks off of Songs of Innocence, and I think I like the album even more now because of how personal it is

Edited by Gackt

Bono and Black Sabbath what shows are you guys attending for this tour again?

I'm going to opening night in Vancouver on May 14th. I might try and get tickets to the show on the 15th as well but we'll see. Also I have tickets for the first two shows in Montreal on June 12th & 13th.

• 2 weeks later...

Take it for what's it's worth but a study showed that in January 2015 U2 was the most listend to artist on iOS devices. 23% of users listened to U2 in January compared to 11% of users listening to Taylor Swift. Also about 95% of those users who listened to U2 listend to songs off Songs of Innocence. JANUARY 2015 U2 ws the most listened to artists among iOS users, after those people had 4 months to delete the album if they chose to do so. Fact is U2's method of release though "controversial" accomplished it's goal of getting people to hear their music, especially their new music. The faux outrage was just that. Faux. An extreme minority of bitter, miserable people screaming loudly about something so ridiculous as a free album invading their privacy. In the end U2 won. Their new album is being listened to and their tour has sold out AGAIN. Haters gonna hate. here's the Rolling Stone article.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/u2-reflect-on-troubled-innocence-release-these-songs-have-staying-power-20150226

• Like 1

They want to get their music heard and put those songs out there. Was it an obnoxious form of marketing? Maybe, but all the bands whining about not being heard and ignored, what else is a band coming up on 40 years supposed to do? They gifted the songs under a huge promotion, which isn't really "free" and eventually rolled it out to Amazon and the streaming services over time.

• 2 weeks later...

will be seeing them at the O2 in early November, album was meh, no where near as good as NLOTH but some songs were decent, really really like "sleep like a Baby tonight"

Well I agree, itunes is almost as shit as U2 these days who haven't had a good album since Achtung Baby.

long since this comment but no, just no. Zooropa, Passengers and Pop are excellent, U2 was it its best in the 90s.

will be seeing them at the O2 in early November, album was meh, no where near as good as NLOTH but some songs were decent, really really like "sleep like a Baby tonight"

Well I agree, itunes is almost as shit as U2 these days who haven't had a good album since Achtung Baby.

long since this comment but no, just no. Zooropa, Passengers and Pop are excellent, U2 was it its best in the 90s.

Nah.

Take it for what's it's worth

Do we have a choice?

Fact is U2's method of release though "controversial" accomplished it's goal of getting people to hear their music, especially their new music.

By way of an unelaborate con, yes.

The faux outrage was just that. Faux.

And you'd know that of course because you're hard-wired into everyone who objecteds brain.

An extreme minority of bitter, miserable people screaming loudly about something so ridiculous as a free album invading their privacy.

Maybe they don't like U2 and think it's a shit idea? Or is that not allowed and it has to be a case of 'get on side or die'? I'll leave you to guess my feelings on that particular concept.

In the end U2 won.

Never realised we were playing. Hooray for match fixing.

Haters gonna hate

And clueless wankers gonna employ post hip hop cliches designed shield their fragile emotions from criticism.

Edited by Len B'stard

Take it for what's it's worth

Do we have a choice?

Fact is U2's method of release though "controversial" accomplished it's goal of getting people to hear their music, especially their new music.

By way of an unelaborate con, yes.

The faux outrage was just that. Faux.

And you'd know that of course because you're hard-wired into everyone who objecteds brain.

An extreme minority of bitter, miserable people screaming loudly about something so ridiculous as a free album invading their privacy.

Maybe they don't like U2 and think it's a shit idea? Or is that not allowed and it has to be a case of 'get on side or die'? I'll leave you to guess my feelings on that particular concept.

In the end U2 won.

Never realised we were playing. Hooray for match fixing.

Haters gonna hate

And clueless wankers gonna employ post hip hop cliches designed shield their fragile emotions from criticism.

Good to see you're such a fucking loser and are so bored with your own life that you intentionally came into this thread looking for a post by me to disect with some incredibly stupid comments in some weak attempt to engage in an argument because your'e butthurt about some topic in some other thread. You simply come off like a complete fucking moron here.

Edited by Bono

Good to see you're such a fucking loser and are so bored with your own life that you intentionally came into this thread looking for a post by me

You know you're not the real Bono right? :lol: Just checking!

with some incredibly stupid comments

Which of course, as you've made clear, any criticism of U2 is.

because your'e butthurt

Haterz gon hate yo, yolo, butthurt, cupcake blah blah blah, keep throwing the little fuckin' 9 year old girl social media cliches out, it really really does your point the power of good, seriously! :lol: Out of interest, how old are you? :lol: Have you ever felt the touch of a woman? :lol:

You simply come off like a complete fucking moron here.

Right, so we've had fucking moron, fucking loser...anything else? Anything resembling a point or are we just goin' for that Maturity Olympics gold medal again? But seriously, less of the insults please, you're not very good at it and you won't like it coming the other way, thanks.

U2 releases an album for free and everyone loses their mind, but Wu refuses to release an album to their fans and it's not that big of a deal. Lol

Because a lot of people don't like U2 and dont want their music foisted on them? As in they deeply dislike that? I love how you guys are like 'so whaaaat, it's just thereeee', do you fuckin' go into a restaurant and order a steak and greens and have a bit of custard on your plate, question it and hear the waiter go 'so whaaaat, it's just theeereee', is that how life works? And then when you have some like me who has despised U2 for many years, i don't wanna see em in my shit.

Now this is where you go 'you're just butthurt', so explain this to me, how do i do the un-butthurt thing? It's cuz I'm whining about something that nothing can be done about anyway, thats what that phrase is getting at right? So what can i do thats physical as opposed to verbal, what is the proactive way to expressing this? What can i do thats a physical manifestation of that objection? What, find a U2 fan and smack him in the mouth? Thats a good idea, send then pussy Bono round mine, or better yet I'll link him up at a gig in London, slap him around a bit and that'll be my un-butthurt way of daring to express that i don't like the idea of people inserting shit into my shit without my say so.

I mean if thats the case why not do it more, why not fill my shit up with fuckin' U2 albums and any old lame fuckin' music i couldn't give two shits about, 'it's only there' right?

And the Wu Tang thing is totally different, completely nothing to do with it, in fact it's the opposite and stands in direct contrast, ones attempting to assign value and one is an active devaluing for the purposes of, as our charming little friend up there asserted, money, ticket sales etc etc What the Wu are doing is selling something they created, whats the problem, what, that everyone can't listen to it? Well its not for everyone, you don't have a right to the fuckin' vaults of every artist in christendom, if that was a reasonable entitlement yous all would've sucked some shit out of Axl Roses are by now but you haven't cuz you can't cuz thats not how life works.

Breaking into his house like a fuckin' Cadburys Milk Tray commercial and slipping a U2 album in his vault however would probably be a reasonable act according to you guys :lol:

If its not a big deal, fine, tell me whats on your shit, post in up here now and I'm gonna put music on your shit. Its not big deal right? So fine, thats my job from now on, it's up to me what goes on your shit, hows that?

Edited by Len B'stard

I get it. I understand the principle of wanting to offer it for free and that part is great. However, I also understand the side of non-U2 fans opening their iTunes or going to check their iPhone music folder and having the album start with zero control. It's kind of like having a religious nut come to your door to force their beliefs upon you. A big thing I thought of too when it happened - what if iPhone users don't have a solid data plan for their phone? They could potentially get charged big time for being over bandwidth because of this random album downloading when they open their music folder.

I am a U2 fan and the idea was good in theory, but it was poorly executed.

• Like 1

U2 releases an album for free and everyone loses their mind, but Wu refuses to release an album to their fans and it's not that big of a deal. Lol

Now this is where you go 'you're just butthurt', so explain this to me, how do i do the un-butthurt thing? It's cuz I'm whining about something that nothing can be done about anyway, thats what that phrase is getting at right? So what can i do thats physical as opposed to verbal, what is the proactive way to expressing this? What can i do thats a physical manifestation of that objection? What, find a U2 fan and smack him in the mouth? Thats a good idea, send then pussy Bono round mine, or better yet I'll link him up at a gig in London, slap him around a bit and that'll be my un-butthurt way of daring to express that i don't like the idea of people inserting shit into my shit without my say so.

haha did you just say you'd slap me around? haha dude you have no fucking clue.

All this whining about a free album that you can just delete with the click of a button if you don't want it shows who the real pussies are. A free album and people act like they've just been infected with the HIV virus or something. MORONS!

Edited by Bono

The fact that people get so upset with artists and bands and talk about beating them or their fans up is hilarious :lol: I mean come on, Len.

Have a read and think long and hard about what thats saying :lol: Is it not clear as day whats being said there? All you can get from that is some threatening to beat up fans? The entire first half of the paragraph doesn't set it up perfectly for you?

Edited by Len B'stard