U2 'Songs of Innocence' Album // iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour 2015 Discussion

Black Sabbath

Sorry but yes, NO other artist has done it this way. First of all it's free. Ok other artists have done that. Fair enough. Secondly it dropped out of the blue unexpectedly with no promo. Ok fair enough others did that too. U2 did both and not only that their album was actually delivered to every single itunes account's library. NOBODY has ever done it that way. Every single person who has itunes actually has this album. Radiohead didn't do that and neither did Beyonce(who I assume you're talking about) Radiohead's was free but you still had to search for it. Beyonce's was a surprise but you had to pay for it and search for it. U2's was a surprise, it was free and everyone got it automatically. So when I say NO OTHER BAND HAS EVER DONE IT THIS WAY, I'm stating a fact.

Dude, it's just a U2 album. I was simply pointing out that this wasn't as revolutionary as you seemed to think it was and you've taken to having a tantrum.

Seriously? I said it had never been done this way before. You said it had. You were wrong because it has never been done this way. It is revolutionary whether you like it or not because it's the first time a band has ever done this. They actually delivered their music to over 500 million people in one fell swoop. Millions upon millions of people who have believe it or not never even heard of U2 were seeing (and then hopefully hearing) a U2 album in their itunes. That's pretty ground breaking when it comes to music distribution. Pretty sure had Axl done this you'd be all over it singing the praises.

• Like 1

The first three are okay, California is pretty good. Then it drops way off. There's nothing as good Beautiful Day here. If you like this kind of stuff Ariana Grande is doing it with a lot more balls. Why Try Just A Little Bit of Your Heart and My Everything blows away anything on Songs of Innocence.

WTF? Ariani Grande dude sounds like every other little pop tart out there. You lose all credibility when you sit there and knock this album and try to say Ariani Grande is doing it better. It's not the same at all and it's asinine to even suggest such a thing. And of course there isn't anything as good as Beautiful Day on here. That's one of their best songs ever. It's like saying there isn't anything on CD as good as SCOM. Of course not. Like really where's you make no sense saying Ariani Grande is doing the same thing as U2 but only with more balls. You sit there and say it's too much like the Killers and those kinds of bands and now today say it's the exact thing Ariani Grande is doing but she does it better. Ariani Grande and the Killers are NOTHING alike. You're making zero sense. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

You'll get used to it.

What I'm saying is they are mixing pop production of the day with bits The Killers etc. and kind of conjuring up an album. That takes talent as well. Manics did a similar thing with Rewind the Film. An acoustic pop album that is kind of popular now. You can't quite put you're finger on it, it's kind of part nostalgia, part whoring, but it's still good, especially if you are a fan. But I think U2 in this case neglected songwriting, there's 3 songs on it. But like you said they are old, and like the Manics they are out of gas really. They can go more, or more pop, or do this or that but they are just U2.

And they do it to stay relevant. I'm not saying it's evil. Just like sometimes I just wish they'd take a risk. Everything is just so serious now. It's like they have to run it past the label before they do anything. All the execs tapping their foot to the mellow…I'm nodding off just picturing. Let's get a latte. Ice lattes for everyone. If Bono grows a beard for this record I will be back!

Disgaree with you 100%. U2 with this album is clearly not out of gas. I figured they were after No Line but this album is light years better and is easily their best since Achtung Baby in my opinon and when the physical album is released with the bonus acoustic versions of the songs then you can get back to me about them "neglecting" song writing. These songs are fantastic. And if you think U2 have to run anything past a label at this point you're not paying attention.

You said it best. They are just U2. You seem to have an issue with that. Me, I'm quite happy my favourite band sounds like my favourite band but rejuvenated.

I just thought Id try to explain what I was saying. It's just what I hear. It's a much more pop rock album than I've ever heard them do. None of the songs did it for me. I prefer Magnificient to this. To me it sounds like U2-lite. Maybe they will do a more rock album next.

Partly maybe it's because I can't believe that the biggest band in the world is spamming my iTunes account with this weak pop album.

It's like because it was free its just b sides. I thought No Line was solid if uneventful, but this is watered down and still by the numbers. They are just spinning their wheels putting out a cd to tour behind.

Edited by wasted

I just thought Id try to explain what I was saying. It's just what I hear. It's a much more pop rock album than I've ever heard them do. None of the songs did it for me. I prefer Magnificient to this. To me it sounds like U2-lite. Maybe they will do a more rock album next.

Partly maybe it's because I can't believe that the biggest band in the world is spamming my iTunes account with this weak pop album.

It's like because it was free its just b sides. I thought No Line was solid if uneventful, but this is watered down and still by the numbers. They are just spinning their wheels putting out a cd to tour behind.

Completely disagree. Lucky for you it was free I guess. For me this is their best album in the last 23 years. U2 doesn't just put out albums to tour behind. They have enough greatest hits they could tour ala the Stones any time they want. They put out new albums because they actually want to make albums. Plus when they bust out news song in concert you know for a fact they aren't spinning their wheels. This isn't Guns N' Roses who hide behind their past.

I think it might the worst album they ever put out and that's saying something. Pop is a classic album compared to this. But your a fan so Im going to trust you and try to listen to it some more. But it made a bad first impression I can't see how it's going to get better. I don't think GNR rely on their hits more than U2? I'd definitely take CD over the last 3 U2 albums.

Edited by wasted

I think it might the worst album they ever put out and that's saying something. Pop is a classic album compared to this. But your a fan so Im going to trust you and try to listen to it some more. But it made a bad first impression I can't see how it's going to get better. I don't think GNR rely on their hits more than U2? I'd definitely take CD over the last 3 U2 albums.

Haha you might be right about U2 "relying" on their hits more to fill out the setlist based purely on the fact they have way more hits to choose from but unlike a GnR concert U2 concerts are not nostalgia acts.

As for CD it's basically unlistenable for me after the first three songs. Listen to those, skip to Prostitute and that's it. CD is awful.

Edited by Bono

Holy shit! :wow:

U2 got paid $100 million by apple for exclusive rights to host Songs of Innocence for the next 5 weeks. That is insane. Also U2's back catalogue has spiked dramatically. They have 19 albums in the top 100 on itunes right now. 6 of them in the top 30 and 10 of them in the top 50.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/digital-and-mobile/6251364/exclusive-guy-oseary-on-u2s-100-million-deal-with-apple?utm_source=twitter

Brilliant marketing move, really. Regardless of however much money they make with the digital/physical sales starting in October, they've already gotten paid by Apple, in addition to the albums that people are buying and putting them in the "Top" lists on iTunes. No way of knowing or finding out obviously, but I'd be curious to see how many new fans they got by releasing the album this way.

Still hoping the album sells well when people can actually buy it in October. NLOTH still went Platinum and this one deserves it even more.

Well #WhoIsU2 was trending yesterday on twitter so they accomplished their goal of hitting a new demographic. They obviously connected in one way or another with millions of people who not only have never heard their music but with people who have never even heard of U2. Think if even 5% of those new people click on the album and say 10% of those people like the album that's a LOT of new fans. And given how their back catalogue is dominating the itunes charts right now you can only assume their gaining a lot of new fans.

Think about it. The last time U2 had a genuine #1 hit song was in 2004 with Vertigo. An 18 year old kid today was only 8 years old back then. Haters are gonna hate regardless but it was an absolute genius marketing move for the band.

They were projecting about 500 thousand units to sell in it's first week but now because of this free give away they are projecting 150 thousand copies.

Both U2 and Apple are overrated products driven by a brand as opposed to by the things they're actually capable of achieving. I do feel that people have started losing interest in both things though, more and more people take the piss out of Apple, just like more and more people realize U2 really are a shit band nowadays.

Haha you might be right about U2 "relying" on their hits more to fill out the setlist based purely on the fact they have way more hits to choose from but unlike a GnR concert U2 concerts are not nostalgia acts.

As for CD it's basically unlistenable for me after the first three songs. Listen to those, skip to Prostitute and that's it. CD is awful.

I doubt they play many from No Line or this new one live. No Line was over shadowed by the success of the 360 tour. A bit like how iTunes deal overshadows this new one. 100 mil is mind blowing. The record is secondary concern.

I'm not sure if Axl will ever do a nostalgia record like ATYCLB but I know U2 will never do anything as great as CD.

I doubt they play many from No Line or this new one live. No Line was over shadowed by the success of the 360 tour. A bit like how iTunes deal overshadows this new one. 100 mil is mind blowing. The record is secondary concern.

I'm not sure if Axl will ever do a nostalgia record like ATYCLB but I know U2 will never do anything as great as CD.

U2 just released an album far greater than CD. Don't act like Axl not doing a back to his roots album like U2 did with ATYCLB wouldn't be a good thing. You'll be fucking lucky if Axl releases anything ever again. I'll take a band doing a "nostalgia" record that produces 3 classic songs(Kite, Walk On, Beautiful Day) any day over nothing or an album that most people find cringe worthy.

U2's last tour on a typical night looked pretty much like this

NLOTH - 6

HTDAAB - 2

ATYCLB - 3

Pop - 0

Zooropa - 1

Achtung Baby - 4

Rattle and Hum - 0

Joshua Tree - 3

Unforgettable Fire - 2

October - 0

War - 2

Boy - 1

I guarantee you the new album is featured prominently in the live shows and if you think it won't be you simply have not paid attention to U2's touring history and are simply talking about something you know nothing about. Don't even start with how much more legit Axl is and how U2 is a nostalgia act compared to him. If Axl didn't play the old songs nobody would go. U2 could do a show with songs from the last decade and still have people show in droves.

GnR fans wish GnR operated the way U2 does. Its fucking awesome being a fan of U2 because being a fan of something productive is way better than beinga fan of something that's dormant. You're simply talking out your ass dude. Axl Rose and GnR are an absolute JOKE compared to U2 in 2014.

• Like 1

And just for fun guess who's enjoying a new album by their favourite band for the 5th time in 17 years?

You enjoy that one album in the last 20 years and keep thinking that way is better :lol:

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

I thought this was a really good write up by CosmoKramer over at interference.com so I thought I'd share it here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Here is my take: Thin line to walk but in the end, brilliant move.

In 2009, U2 sold ~4.5 million albums worldwide. Its fair to say that people illegally downloaded their songs and listened to them on YouTube but at the end of the day, they got their product in the hands of 4.5 million people over a 12 month period. The fact that as an "older" band, it is harder (not impossible by any means) to get radio play on top 40 stations, makes reaching new fans very difficult. So in the age of Justine Beiber/Miley Cirus, how do you reach a new audience? How do you get in front of people who never heard of you(true irrelevance)?
U2 found a way and in the end it's a win win. As I mentioned, they got their product in the hands of 4.5 million people in 12 months, most of whom were already U2 fans (I bought 2 copies myself, shit, Interference alone probably accounted for 2 million in sales). They didn't really expand their audience and if they did it was by very little.
But on Tuesday, they cracked a code(perhaps not THE code but a code), they got their product in the hands of 500 million people in 5 seconds.
And I have news for you...it worked. Yes, we all read the tweets, You Tube Comments and comment section of various blogs about "I'm pissed that I have this trash" or "why was this old ass band forced upon me". Guess what folks, the fact that these people got a FREE album from a major artist and are making these comments mean U2 would have never gotten them anyway(give me a free Madonna or Prince album and if I don't like it, Ill just remove it).
But the people who genuinely don't know U2, kids or young adults or even some older adults will listen to it and some WILL like it and WILL be turned on to U2.
Us diehards or even general fans don't care, we love U2 and we love free, so free U2 is going to go over well with us.
People who don't like U2 like free but then there is that whole U2 part, so they will delete it and so be it.
but people who never knew of U2 will now have it handed to them to try and some will hate it and some will like it and THAT is the goldmine U2 wanted in order to extend their legacy.
If just 10% of people don't delete the album and actually listen to the songs! thats 50 million people.....50 MILLION! Who are not just listening to your lead single but your full album. If U2 can gain even just 5 million new fans, thats 5 million people who will discover the Live Aid performance...Joshua Tree...Achtung Baby....ZooTV....the 2002 Super Bowl performance. They may potentially create a whole new generation of fans.
I end with this.....I read a review on iTunes. It was from someone named Edgar Garcia who wrote something along the lines of "Never heard of this band but glad I was given this album because I really liked it. I will for sure check out their other stuff."
It may have been a fake review and or it might be the only person that writes that type of comment for all I know but thats 1 and Edgar was the reason U2 did this(I hope someone can find that review and take a screen shot because it is what this Apple thing was all about).
By the way, when I said win win, this is a huge win for Apple. They just pulled off getting a major artist to distribute their album exclusively via Apple...no record company needed....hmmmm.....perhaps a new industry business model is being created(who needs a label when you can get free advertising from Apple and an audience of 500 million plus???)" -
Edited by Bono

6 from No Line? That's about the same CD songs GNR do.

Just because its popular to bash GNR in teeny bop land doesn't mean people don't like CD or go to and enjoy the shows. You make too much of U2's recent records. I would agree GNR could have put out one more record but they did break up. Picking on Axl as an excuse for U2's recent mediocrity is really like Tyson saying he could beat Stephen Hawking up after losing the belt. Even so Axl hasn't released as many albums that suck as U2. I'm not that excited by a stream of mediocre albums. I'd rather have one great record. Seriously you're saying Better doesn't clean the floor with the whole of Songs of Innocence? There's just not one song on it better than one song on CD or any song on any other U2 album. Yet it's they best album in 23 years?

And just for fun guess who's enjoying a new album by their favourite band for the 5th time in 17 years?

You enjoy that one album in the last 20 years and keep thinking that way is better :lol:

I only really enjoyed 1 U2 album in 20 years though. And that wasn't as good as CD.

I thought this was a really good write up by CosmoKramer over at interference.com so I thought I'd share it here.

In 2009, U2 sold ~4.5 million albums worldwide. Its fair to say that people illegally downloaded their songs and listened to them on YouTube but at the end of the day, they got their product in the hands of 4.5 million people over a 12 month period. The fact that as an "older" band, it is harder (not impossible by any means) to get radio play on top 40 stations, makes reaching new fans very difficult. So in the age of Justine Beiber/Miley Cirus, how do you reach a new audience? How do you get in front of people who never heard of you(true irrelevance)?

U2 found a way and in the end it's a win win. As I mentioned, they got their product in the hands of 4.5 million people in 12 months, most of whom were already U2 fans (I bought 2 copies myself, shit, Interference alone probably accounted for 2 million in sales). They didn't really expand their audience and if they did it was by very little.

But on Tuesday, they cracked a code(perhaps not THE code but a code), they got their product in the hands of 500 million people in 5 seconds.

And I have news for you...it worked. Yes, we all read the tweets, You Tube Comments and comment section of various blogs about "I'm pissed that I have this trash" or "why was this old ass band forced upon me". Guess what folks, the fact that these people got a FREE album from a major artist and are making these comments mean U2 would have never gotten them anyway(give me a free Madonna or Prince album and if I don't like it, Ill just remove it).

But the people who genuinely don't know U2, kids or young adults or even some older adults will listen to it and some WILL like it and WILL be turned on to U2.

Us diehards or even general fans don't care, we love U2 and we love free, so free U2 is going to go over well with us.

People who don't like U2 like free but then there is that whole U2 part, so they will delete it and so be it.

but people who never knew of U2 will now have it handed to them to try and some will hate it and some will like it and THAT is the goldmine U2 wanted in order to extend their legacy.

If just 10% of people don't delete the album and actually listen to the songs! thats 50 million people.....50 MILLION! Who are not just listening to your lead single but your full album. If U2 can gain even just 5 million new fans, thats 5 million people who will discover the Live Aid performance...Joshua Tree...Achtung Baby....ZooTV....the 2002 Super Bowl performance. They may potentially create a whole new generation of fans.

I end with this.....I read a review on iTunes. It was from someone named Edgar Garcia who wrote something along the lines of "Never heard of this band but glad I was given this album because I really liked it. I will for sure check out their other stuff."

It may have been a fake review and or it might be the only person that writes that type of comment for all I know but thats 1 and Edgar was the reason U2 did this(I hope someone can find that review and take a screen shot because it is what this Apple thing was all about).

By the way, when I said win win, this is a huge win for Apple. They just pulled off getting a major artist to distribute their album exclusively via Apple...no record company needed....hmmmm.....perhaps a new industry business model is being created(who needs a label when you can get free advertising from Apple and an audience of 500 million plus???)" -

Just because they spammed 500 million people with their album doesn't mean they all listened to it you know. 500,000 U2 fans probably listened to it. But the fact they got 100 mil is awesome deal. That's like selling 10 mil records. But I'm not sure it will be a good thing. It means that only big bands will be able to get their records out. To me it will end with iTunes or some ISP providing us with a package of music for an upfront price or free. But it seems like it will still hand control over to what we listen to. How is a band going break out unless iTunes gives them 100 mil. They won't do that for a new band.

Most U2 albums took time to become favorites because no one knew what to expect with each album. i think Achtung Baby is still the riskiest album they ever made but Unforgettable Fire is probably their weirdest batch of songs.

When Live Aid's brought up, we have to remember they only did 2 songs, and no one really knew "Bad" at the time. They could have done a run through their hits and entertained the crowd instead of doing this song with two chords that goes on and on and on.

U2 will call it a day when Larry and Edge don't feel like doing it anymore. They have another 15 years where they can keep it going if they wanted, but you know Edge and Bono see guys like Chuck Berry and BB King still going. To them, rock n' roll is far from dead.

Just because they spammed 500 million people with their album doesn't mean they all listened to it you know. 500,000 U2 fans probably listened to it. But the fact they got 100 mil is awesome deal. That's like selling 10 mil records. But I'm not sure it will be a good thing. It means that only big bands will be able to get their records out. To me it will end with iTunes or some ISP providing us with a package of music for an upfront price or free. But it seems like it will still hand control over to what we listen to. How is a band going break out unless iTunes gives them 100 mil. They won't do that for a new band.

I think most bands have to have some sort of track record before money is going to be pumped into them, but I don't know if you're going to see a rock band that's doing things their own way become a worldwide phenomenon/household name. You're seeing pop and country acts taking elements of rock and working it into the show but it's not the same as 4 or 5 guys with a handful of songs and their own style going up on a stage and winning an audience over, and that's what's missing in rock.

No one's really playing balls to the wall rock as if their lives depended on it.