U2 'Songs of Innocence' Album // iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour 2015 Discussion

Black Sabbath

It might sell around 25k in the US. A total buzzkill.

Why is that so surprising though? Pretty much anyone that wanted it just got it for free, and U2 got a wicked payday out of it themselves. The sales figures won't equate to the exposure the album has gotten.

Agreed. I figured it wouldn't sell a lot, but that's to be expected. U2 knew that also, I think...

Had they not released it the way they did and promoted it like a normal album, it would have sold a lot more. At least as much as No Line on the Horizon.

I don't think the intention of this album was for high Billboard charting positions, otherwise they wouldn't have given it away to everyone for free a month before the physical release even came out. To me their whole thing was drumming up buzz for U2, and seeing as I am constantly seeing them mentioned ever since the Apple thing, even with the people who hate the way U2 did it, I think that they were successfull in doing just that

The cover works better in a tangible sense, but I'm still not crazy about it. I don't particularly hate it, though.

Still have to listen to the remix of Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, but the alternate version of The Troubles is alright. Glad they went with the album version, which is actually one of my Top 3 favorites, if not my favorite. I think it's tied with SLABT.

Where are you getting the alt versions? All I have is the itunes preorder acoustics...

The cover works better in a tangible sense, but I'm still not crazy about it. I don't particularly hate it, though.

Still have to listen to the remix of Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, but the alternate version of The Troubles is alright. Glad they went with the album version, which is actually one of my Top 3 favorites, if not my favorite. I think it's tied with SLABT.

Where are you getting the alt versions? All I have is the itunes preorder acoustics...

Deluxe Edition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_Innocence_(album)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/songs-of-innocence-deluxe-edition-cd/9301121.p;jsessionid=977FB35CD90E010F3003EF0DDDE7FD13.bbolsp-app03-153?id=3298088&skuId=9301121&st=u2&lp=1&cp=1

• Like 1

Vinyl Bonus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sJ3tcYxkMA

Man, I really hope a lot of Songs of Experience takes a bit of the route as The Crystal Ballroom. It might be my favorite out of all the new songs. I love it. Sounds a bit like Pop with a dash of Zooropa, I think.

That 12" Mix is great too. Nothing too crazy about it - just a longer mix with some other elements mixed in, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

• Like 1

To be honest that Joey Ramone song is a bad song imo. The one thing that bothers me and pretty much kills the song for me is that it's dedicated to an inferior artist and that just bugs me. It's actually embarrassing that Bono/U2 go out of their way and kiss ass to that guy. Even if their influence by him or his band I can't help but feel the cheese pouring out of that song.

To be honest that Joey Ramone song is a bad song imo. The one thing that bothers me and pretty much kills the song for me is that it's dedicated to an inferior artist and that just bugs me. It's actually embarrassing that Bono/U2 go out of their way and kiss ass to that guy. Even if their influence by him or his band I can't help but feel the cheese pouring out of that song.

It's not embarassing at all. If Joey Ramone was an inspiration to Bono or the band as a whole to get into music or continue with music then thank god for Joey Ramone. Lyrically it's pretty good too. It's by far not my favourite on the album though. I don't think they are kissing Joey Ramone's ass. What do they have to gain by doing that? They're paying respect to an influence and a friend. And Just curious as to how and why, who they dedicate it to could kill the song for you? Is it because you find it embarassing that U2 were influenced by the Ramones? It's not a secret, they've been vocal about that for YEARS. Anyways if that\s why you don't like it that's a poor reason in my opinion. Honestly who cares who they were influenced by. I'm glad they were influenced period.

Anyways here's another awesome performance

Edited by Bono

Bono (user, not Hewson), its very possible you truly love this album. Thats fine. Coming from an Atomic Bomb guy, I completely get being against the bunch! But I do think you shouldn't be so quick to come off sounding like people "don't get it". Everyone has different tastes, and its completely fair if you really like it, but I do think it wouldn't hurt to throw in maybe some constructive criticism (I mean, you must have something that feels off about the record) and maybe don't compare it to The Joshua Tree or anything on it, because IMO that just comes off as silly. The key is just sounding balanced in your reasoning, or else you end up like everyone else that is drastically on one side or the other.

I can compare it to whatever I want. You just said the first 4 on ATYCLB are just as good as the first 4 on Joshua Tree yet I come off silly saying this new album is more enjoyable start to finish than Joshua Tree? Joshua Tree isn't even my 2nd favourite U2 album but "Whoa dont compre it to Joshua Tree cause you're silly if you do.... now excuse me while I compare ATYCLB to Joshua Tree". Please :rolleyes: I'm not even sure Joshua Tree is in my top 5. You put HTDAAB in your top 3 yet I come off silly praising Songs of Innoncence? Hahah ok. And if you had even read anything I said you'd have seen I did give some criticism but whatever.

It's not embarassing at all. If Joey Ramone was an inspiration to Bono or the band as a whole to get into music or continue with music then thank god for Joey Ramone. Lyrically it's pretty good too. It's by far not my favourite on the album though. I don't think they are kissing Joey Ramone's ass. What do they have to gain by doing that? They're paying respect to an influence and a friend. And Just curious as to how and why, who they dedicate it to could kill the song for you? Is it because you find it embarassing that U2 were influenced by the Ramones? It's not a secret, they've been vocal about that for YEARS. Anyways if that\s why you don't like it that's a poor reason in my opinion. Honestly who cares who they were influenced by. I'm glad they were influenced period.

Anyways here's another awesome performance

It's not the influence part but the cheese factor of putting this guy on a pedestal that just makes me cringe everytime I hear it. It's just that one song that bugs me out of an album that I find awesome.

Also that performance is really good.

Edited by MEXzilla

He was the leader of a very important band in the UK in the 70s who now lives off his past fame releasing books about himself and retelling his story over and over with minor changes of opinions and such, and being polemic in the media here and there.

• Like 2

He was the leader of a very important band in the UK in the 70s who now lives off his past fame releasing books about himself and retelling his story over and over with minor changes of opinions and such, and being polemic in the media here and there.

Not that important. Just right place, right time.

Just listened.

Haven't been a big fan of any 2000s U2, although I did like No Line for a second there.

For this release I have to side with this review

"Perhaps the upcoming companion album, inevitably named Songs of Experience, will contain all the darker, cynical stuff from these sessions. Regardless, U2 have already squandered any remaining integrity to invent this needy, invasive breed of the Big Event Album, an Album that lacks any kind of artistic statement to deter from the overwhelming Brandiness. Where Beyoncé used her iTunes sneak attack late last year to make a bold pop proclamation of sexuality and feminism, U2 have used an even more audacious release platform to wave their arms and simply say, Hey! Everybody! Were still here! Bono may have self-deprecatingly described Songs of Innocence as the blood, sweat and tears of some Irish guys...in your junk mail, but its not even that interestingits just a blank message."

Edited by LiveFromNormal

To each their own, but I think this album is better than No Line and Atomic Bomb (both of which I did like quite a bit) and easily more consistent than ATYCLB (which dies off in the second half).

Sleep Like A Baby Tonight and The Troubles are fantastic songs, along with the bonus track The Crystal Ballroom. Those are the types of songs I'm hoping to hear on Songs of Experience, but I'm excited nonetheless for it. The closest thing the last three albums probably get to "fantastic" are Magnificent, Original of the Species, and In A Little While, maybe? Not undermining the last albums, I love them all in their own way, but I think Songs of Innocence is overall better than the last three and definitely more consistent.

I do feel like people would have a different perception and it would have been received better had the album been released traditionally, though.

• Like 3

I just think this one is a little boring. It's just lacking substance for me, especially lyrically.

I know U2 is capable of way better than this, so it's just kind of a bummer that they've settled on their 2000's sound and haven't evolved a lot since Atomic Bomb.

Sleep Like a Baby tonight is the only song on this album that is memorable to me, because it has a TON of style to it(and the vocals are fantastic). I'd love to see a whole U2 album done in the same fashion of that song. The Edge kills it with his fuzz laden guitar and rich deep tones. Bonos weird hollow and echoed vocals and droning melody all sound fantastic. (Falsetto back is an added bonus.)

The breathy rhythm on 'Raised by Wolves' is sick too, but it just becomes another boring song with no surprises or thought provoking motive.

Edited by LiveFromNormal