U2 'Songs of Innocence' Album // iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour 2015 Discussion

Black Sabbath

Least he respects the legend Joey Ramone. Is there any connection in the song? Any lyrics seem to be about Joey?

I want to take a giant shit on this album just to watch Bono have a hissyfit.

Bono makes a point of respecting legends, didn't you know? If you're cool and there's a documentary about you you can bet your last Rolo that Bono is in it...sometimes even when he didn't have fuck all to do with the person, Joe Strummer, Morrissey, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, the amount of times i've watched docs on bands or artists i like and Bono's gone 'well the *insert band name here* wrote the rulebook for U2' :lol:

Least he respects the legend Joey Ramone. Is there any connection in the song? Any lyrics seem to be about Joey?

I want to take a giant shit on this album just to watch Bono have a hissyfit.

To me it's about Bono finding his voice through listening to Joey Ramone sing. Like its a miracle! Like the immaculate conception. There's always a weird religious under tone.

6 from No Line? That's about the same CD songs GNR do.

Just because its popular to bash GNR in teeny bop land doesn't mean people don't like CD or go to and enjoy the shows. You make too much of U2's recent records. I would agree GNR could have put out one more record but they did break up. Picking on Axl as an excuse for U2's recent mediocrity is really like Tyson saying he could beat Stephen Hawking up after losing the belt. Even so Axl hasn't released as many albums that suck as U2. I'm not that excited by a stream of mediocre albums. I'd rather have one great record. Seriously you're saying Better doesn't clean the floor with the whole of Songs of Innocence? There's just not one song on it better than one song on CD or any song on any other U2 album. Yet it's they best album in 23 years?

You're the one in here trying to prop Axl up and knock U2 down. Honestly Axl is a joke compared to U2 at this point and trying to argue that GnR has done it better is just laughable. Axl Rose and GnR have zero relevance in this topic. They are a complete after thought. No they aren't even a thought. U2 opperates better than GnR on every single level. You'd be better off comparing Slash to U2. At least he respects his fans and continues to release music his fans like. Chinese Democracy sucks as an album in my opinion. Like I said I listen to four songs of that album maybe once every 6 months. I like Better better than Maybe 3 of the songs on SOI. That's it. They aren't even remotely relevant to this discussion. You say you prefer one great album rather than 5 mediocre albums. Great good for you. I don't see U2's albums as mediocre. I really enjoy them and the truth is if Axl released 5 albums you wouldn't look at any of them as mediocre. You're calling albums of a band you're not a fan of mediocre tryng to comvince me Axl's way is better. Seriously WTF? .Hahaha Sorry Wasted any fan who's not dellusional would prefer U2's way to Axl's way and you would totally flip your opinion if the roles were reveresed here. Don't even begin to deny it.

I thought this was a really good write up by CosmoKramer over at interference.com so I thought I'd share it here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Here is my take: Thin line to walk but in the end, brilliant move.

In 2009, U2 sold ~4.5 million albums worldwide. Its fair to say that people illegally downloaded their songs and listened to them on YouTube but at the end of the day, they got their product in the hands of 4.5 million people over a 12 month period. The fact that as an "older" band, it is harder (not impossible by any means) to get radio play on top 40 stations, makes reaching new fans very difficult. So in the age of Justine Beiber/Miley Cirus, how do you reach a new audience? How do you get in front of people who never heard of you(true irrelevance)?

U2 found a way and in the end it's a win win. As I mentioned, they got their product in the hands of 4.5 million people in 12 months, most of whom were already U2 fans (I bought 2 copies myself, shit, Interference alone probably accounted for 2 million in sales). They didn't really expand their audience and if they did it was by very little.

But on Tuesday, they cracked a code(perhaps not THE code but a code), they got their product in the hands of 500 million people in 5 seconds.

And I have news for you...it worked. Yes, we all read the tweets, You Tube Comments and comment section of various blogs about "I'm pissed that I have this trash" or "why was this old ass band forced upon me". Guess what folks, the fact that these people got a FREE album from a major artist and are making these comments mean U2 would have never gotten them anyway(give me a free Madonna or Prince album and if I don't like it, Ill just remove it).

But the people who genuinely don't know U2, kids or young adults or even some older adults will listen to it and some WILL like it and WILL be turned on to U2.

Us diehards or even general fans don't care, we love U2 and we love free, so free U2 is going to go over well with us.

People who don't like U2 like free but then there is that whole U2 part, so they will delete it and so be it.

but people who never knew of U2 will now have it handed to them to try and some will hate it and some will like it and THAT is the goldmine U2 wanted in order to extend their legacy.

If just 10% of people don't delete the album and actually listen to the songs! thats 50 million people.....50 MILLION! Who are not just listening to your lead single but your full album. If U2 can gain even just 5 million new fans, thats 5 million people who will discover the Live Aid performance...Joshua Tree...Achtung Baby....ZooTV....the 2002 Super Bowl performance. They may potentially create a whole new generation of fans.

I end with this.....I read a review on iTunes. It was from someone named Edgar Garcia who wrote something along the lines of "Never heard of this band but glad I was given this album because I really liked it. I will for sure check out their other stuff."

It may have been a fake review and or it might be the only person that writes that type of comment for all I know but thats 1 and Edgar was the reason U2 did this(I hope someone can find that review and take a screen shot because it is what this Apple thing was all about).

By the way, when I said win win, this is a huge win for Apple. They just pulled off getting a major artist to distribute their album exclusively via Apple...no record company needed....hmmmm.....perhaps a new industry business model is being created(who needs a label when you can get free advertising from Apple and an audience of 500 million plus???)" -

Just because they spammed 500 million people with their album doesn't mean they all listened to it you know. 500,000 U2 fans probably listened to it. But the fact they got 100 mil is awesome deal. That's like selling 10 mil records. But I'm not sure it will be a good thing. It means that only big bands will be able to get their records out. To me it will end with iTunes or some ISP providing us with a package of music for an upfront price or free. But it seems like it will still hand control over to what we listen to. How is a band going break out unless iTunes gives them 100 mil. They won't do that for a new band.

Holy shit are you serious? You do realize that as of last Tuesday U2 didn't have a single album in the top 200 on itunes but as of this morning they had 17 in the top 100. 8 of them were in the top 50 and 3 in the top 30. How can you sit there and say nobody listened to it other than U2 fans. They've reached an entirely new demographic. Unless of course you think the spike in sales was purely from U2 fans wanting to rebuy the albums on itunes. Not fucking likely. I'm so sick of people looking at everything any other band does as shit and lame and dumb then turn around and preach the authenticity and credibility of Axl Rose. If Axl had made the same deal and had CD delieverd to 500 million people you would think it was awesome. Everyone on this board would be preaching the marketing genius of it but because its U2 it's not that cool. Seriously the hypocrisy is reaching insane levels

And in no way shape or form does this mean only big bands will be able to get their album out. It just means U2 found a new and effective way for them to get THEIR music out. It's not like U2 is putting indie bands or smaller bands out of business.

God forbid he was actually influenced by those bands and artists.

Then show it by making good music with their kind of spirit of originality, instead of jacking them off for the BBC.

You'd have to be a nuts to think that being influenced by an artist means your music in turn needs to sound exactly like said artist. Ozzy Osborne and Black Sabbath sure don't sound like the Beatles.

Edited by Bono

6 from No Line? That's about the same CD songs GNR do.

Just because its popular to bash GNR in teeny bop land doesn't mean people don't like CD or go to and enjoy the shows. You make too much of U2's recent records. I would agree GNR could have put out one more record but they did break up. Picking on Axl as an excuse for U2's recent mediocrity is really like Tyson saying he could beat Stephen Hawking up after losing the belt. Even so Axl hasn't released as many albums that suck as U2. I'm not that excited by a stream of mediocre albums. I'd rather have one great record. Seriously you're saying Better doesn't clean the floor with the whole of Songs of Innocence? There's just not one song on it better than one song on CD or any song on any other U2 album. Yet it's they best album in 23 years?

You're the one in here trying to prop Axl up and knock U2 down. Honestly Axl is a joke compared to U2 at this point and trying to argue that GnR has done it better is just laughable. Axl Rose and GnR have zero relevance in this topic. They are a complete after thought. No they aren't even a thought. U2 opperates better than GnR on every single level. You'd be better off comparing Slash to U2. At least he respects his fans and continues to release music his fans like. Chinese Democracy sucks as an album in my opinion. Like I said I listen to four songs of that album maybe once every 6 months. I like Better better than Maybe 3 of the songs on SOI. That's it. They aren't even remotely relevant to this discussion. You say you prefer one great album rather than 5 mediocre albums. Great good for you. I don't see U2's albums as mediocre. I really enjoy them and the truth is if Axl released 5 albums you wouldn't look at any of them as mediocre. You're calling albums of a band you're not a fan of mediocre tryng to comvince me Axl's way is better. Seriously WTF? .Hahaha Sorry Wasted any fan who's not dellusional would prefer U2's way to Axl's way and you would totally flip your opinion if the roles were reveresed here. Don't even begin to deny it.

You're the one who brought Axl and GNR into this. I said that saying U2 kick GNR's ass at this point is like Tyson saying he could kick Stephen Hawking's ass after losing his belt.

I do prefer 1 great album to 5 mediocre ones. For a band like GNR and U2, yes I do. There's tons of average bands that put out a string of albums. It's a non point you brought up because I was hating on Songs of Innocence for being a safe pop album propped up by an iTunes deal. I still hold my position. I don't think what I'm saying is so bad, but it's true. It's not a grounding breaking or even interesting album. It has similar themes to other U2 albums, it's just something to sell merch off or get advertising for iTunes. Maybe they will make another great album.

I think it's part of a broader problem with rock, the artists are losing their freedom and having to do things and make albums to stay relevant, and that's leading to mediocre stuff. And there's a market for it, people do just want the same product over and over and an image of success to hold on to. The fact that you emphasize the U2 does good business and GNR are a train wreck business wise, and I just think screw iTunes or Best buy give me music I like whether it's 5 years too late or not everyone in the mainstream likes it or agrees on it.

Just saw the itunes commercial promoting the album. Might have to skip this based on that alone.

I think it's interesting because we are already kind of involved because it's in our iTunes already. 500 million people received it. U2 got 100 million for it. Surprise!

The music isn't really important. It's not like a shitstorm bad album, it's not bad, it's an okay album. I think there's more important factors at work than just the focus being to make an amazing album.

Basically iTunes will give money to any band who will deliver something bland enough to not cause them any problems but still bring in advertising dollars. I hope Metallics get in on this. Lars can talk about how Animal from Sesame Street got him into the drums. Lucky Mullet (song for Animal). Mobilizing iTunes Rock Team. Let's do this!

• Like 1

Just saw the itunes commercial promoting the album. Might have to skip this based on that alone.

Maybe this encourages you to at least have a listen

Bono-

You were named dropped on the just recorded mygnr podcast! Heavy discussion surrounding the Apple/U2 deal, hopefully you enjoy.

I actually don't even know what podcasts really are dude and have never listened to one or even know where to listen to them haha.

Just go listen to Ariani Grande, Wasted.

I know you're never going to wake up, I'm going to give up!

Good luck with the future when we live in a state of consumer communism. The front line is everywhere!

Good luck in the future with no Guns N' Roses album. You keep fighting the good fight buddy that GnR is moving forward and are a creative force while U2 are sell outs. Axl did it his way alright and U2 did it the way the labels told them too I'm sure of it. :rolleyes:

I just don't think the same album over and over with hip production is creative. The last time U2 were creative was Zooropa.

CD was the result of a full creative process we will probably never be exposed to again. hopefully we will get some more of it. With Axls mindset he will always be a creative force. Just not necessarily a company man.

I just don't see your pov. U2 to have been a bland one trick pony, or three trick pony for the last 5 records. That's okay though, most bands are, and U2 are still a great band. Just of late they slipping. This pop iTunes album just isn't my thing. It's all too nicey nicey. If they got the deal then released something challenging...but they just slotted in line behind all the other pop rock bands of the day. I was on board when Bono was saying for Achtung baby it was their responsibility to abuse their position and Zooropa was that. Then the back to basics over and over. Not exactly creative to me. I feel numb.

• Like 1

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/library-apple-app-makes-u2-away-220355394.html#ULJQTgJ

Just days after Apple sparked fury for installing U2's new album in 500 million iTunes accounts without consent, the tech giant has been forced to launch a new app - simply to remove the album from customers' libraries.

When Apple launched their new iPhone 6 and iWatch last week with the Irish rockers sharing the stage, it emerged the album "Songs of Innocence" had appeared in every iTunes library in 119 countries as a marketing stunt - which backfired disastrously.

Although the album isn't physically on the device many customers didn't like U2, or having anything "smuggled" onto their operating systems without their knowledge. The biggest problem with the stunt was that once installed on a user's online cloud, it wasn't clear how to remove it. As one tweet put it:

"My iPhone has a virus called U2. how do I uninstall it?"

Some users - such as Graham Norton - found it vaguely sinister that Apple were able to access their devices without permission. Others joked about it. One tweet by @uvray_ read: "WARNING: DO NOT click on links offering free downloads of the new U2 album. They lead to free downloads of the new U2 album."

Now Apple has conceded that U2 aren't to everyone's taste, and decided to act.

"Some customers asked for the ability to delete 'Songs of Innocence' from their library," spokesman Adam Howorth told the BBC, "so we set up itunes.com/soi-remove to let them easily do so. Any customer that needs additional help should contact AppleCare."

Just what is wrong with the 21st century? People can't even get a free album in their iTunes without shitting the bed.

I can't believe there are people who are actually complaining about getting this for free. It's not like it occupied space in people's devices. It was available for download in everyone's iCloud account. And people shouldn't act like they're surprised Apple, Microsoft, Sony and other millions of account servers around the world have the ability to willingly insert or take out stuff from people's accounts. It's been done before: Bob Acri's Sleep Away, Mr.Scruff's Kalimba, hell... music and search suggestions violate people's privacy more than equally giving them the choice of download an U2 album for free. What the fuck is wrong with society?