Is school all that important?

arnold layne

Once you get into high school most of what you learn is useless. Kids graduating can tell the parts of an atom, create a plot diagram for the hobbit, and solve math problems they will never come across, but can't balance a checkbook, know nothing about credit cards, and couldn't even change a tire.... School should teach basic skills and leave the advanced stuff for college. I graduated high school with honors and started a business and haven't used over half the stuff ive learnt.

Once you get into high school most of what you learn is useless. Kids graduating can tell the parts of an atom, create a plot diagram for the hobbit, and solve math problems they will never come across, but can't balance a checkbook, know nothing about credit cards, and couldn't even change a tire.... School should teach basic skills and leave the advanced stuff for college. I graduated high school with honors and started a business and haven't used over half the stuff ive learnt.

I think the idea is they give you a smattering of 'useless' stuff just in case you decide to choose the 'useless' stuff as a subject to pursue into higher education/career.

but can't balance a checkbook, know nothing about credit cards, and couldn't even change a tire.... School should teach basic skills and leave the advanced stuff for college. I graduated high school with honors and started a business and haven't used over half the stuff ive learnt.

Thats like saying they don't teach you how to wipe your arse in school, do you really need school to teach you about credit cards and how to change a tyre?

Part of the problem is that no one agrees what school is for, and to pose the question to educators is to be seen as a rabble-rouser. Most educators have very little interest in thinking seriously about education. In public education it's not really their faults - the government has ensured they can't do shit.

but can't balance a checkbook, know nothing about credit cards, and couldn't even change a tire.... School should teach basic skills and leave the advanced stuff for college. I graduated high school with honors and started a business and haven't used over half the stuff ive learnt.

Thats like saying they don't teach you how to wipe your arse in school, do you really need school to teach you about credit cards and how to change a tyre?

yes, because most of the time the parents did not give a flying fuck about these things and therefore they don't teach anything to their kids

yes, because most of the time the parents did not give a flying fuck about these things and therefore they don't teach anything to their kids

Its always gotta be the parents fault hasn't it, whats the matter with you, you're not dense or thick are you, why can't you figure it out for yourself? (not you personally Broue, you know what i mean, figuratively) My Dad never taught me how to change a tyre nor did school but i still never how to from my very early, it's called having eyes and observing the world and not being a total mong. Gets right my on wick y'know, all this rubbish about parents didn't give a fuck because they didn't teach you every last little perfunctory act of life, it's ridiculous. Some mouthbreather who can't figure out how to turn the washing machine on or do the dishes and 'it's Mums fault, she never taught me', give me a fuckin' break with that bullshit.

Credit cards, again, you'd have to be fucking disabled or something, to not know how a credit card works, don't really need your Mum and Dad telling you. Parents teach you right and wrong, to behave yourself, be a good boy in school, how to stand up for yourself, things like that...but to expect them to equip you with any and every last perfunctory act of the human experience is just ridiculous.

• Like 2

If school truly mattered they'd teach personal finance and drivers education.

I took both in high school. The former was an elective, the latter was required.

My overall opinion on this: yes, school matters. It's not for everyone. But it is often education which makes a man a man, and not a beast. - Wayne Gretzky - Michael G Scott - Omar Bradley

If school truly mattered they'd teach personal finance and drivers education.

I took both in high school. The former was an elective, the latter was required.

My overall opinion on this: yes, school matters. It's not for everyone. But it is often education which makes a man a man, and not a beast. - Wayne Gretzky - Michael G Scott - Omar Bradley

Great post

Education is what you make of it.

I went to college. Got 4.0 gpa in classes I cared about. Maybe a 2.5 in classes that were requirements that I really want interested in the subject matter.

I know a kid on this forum who walked into a $50,000 a year job right out of college. Twenty one years old and making bank already.

College - like life - is what YOU personally choose to Make of it. Those who constantly cry and and blame other people for their situation in life.....

Some Do, some just complain about unfair life is.

Not gonna get a job in the field I've wanted to be a part of since I was 3 years old without a doctorate, so it's pretty fucking important from where I'm sitting.

You been into volcanos since you were 3 years old? Fuck me, i didnt know what way up to hold a spoon at 3 :lol:

Not gonna get a job in the field I've wanted to be a part of since I was 3 years old without a doctorate, so it's pretty fucking important from where I'm sitting.

You been into volcanos since you were 3 years old? Fuck me, i didnt know what way up to hold a spoon at 3 :lol:

Have you figured it out yet? :lol:

That's because your lot eat with their hands.

Have you figured it out yet? :lol:

I gave up and just started using it as a back-scratcher :lol:

Whatcha mean my lot, what lot are you from you smelly black bastard, you, my lot, Indians, Bangers, all basically the same :lol:

with their right hand. only Shaitans eat with their left hand, as far as im concerned :lol:

with their right hand. only Shaitans eat with their left hand, as far as im concerned :lol:

But I'm left handed :( Then again, i do have the mark of Satan on my left wrist!

Haha, aye. My parents noticed I would ask to watch the volcano sequence from Disney's Fantasia on repeat, then my Dad taped a documentary about two Indonesian volcanoes called Mount Bromo and Kawah Ijen off the TV for me and I was hooked ever since.

But I'm left handed :( Then again, i do have the mark of Satan on my left wrist!

like reverse cross and pentagram?

post some pics :lol:

like reverse cross and pentagram?

post some pics :lol:

666 in some kinda old language, i forget what it is, greek maybe i dunno, looks like XSS :lol:

I got it as a laugh really, a silly debate with a christian friend over the mark of the beast and how it apparently guarantees you hellfire, there happened to be a tattoo shop a couple of doors down and I'd had a few so i thought, yknow, its a good day to guarantee myself eternal damnation :lol: