Top 10 greatest rock songwriters ever?

WFA

No order

8) Buddy Holly

:wub:

Lennon/McCartney are probably going to be the overall consensus for number one on the forum.......and those two have said that Buddy Holly was their biggest influence. Bob Dylan has also cited Holly for influencing his career.

Edited by Groghan

Chuck Berry

Little Richard - or Penniman should I say

Buddy Holly

Neil Young

Lennon/McCartney

Dylan

Eddie Cochran

Hendrix

Jagger/Richards

Stradlin

Really? Lennon, Jagger Richards, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Izzy Stradlin belongs in a list beside them?

I like him. I like his solo albums. I do not even like GN'R so much these days, but his solo albums have this, pure, ramshackle vibe. Probably if I was being completely objective, I would replace him with Leber/Stoller or Pete Townsend or somebody.

Chuck Berry

Little Richard - or Penniman should I say

Buddy Holly

Neil Young

Lennon/McCartney

Dylan

Eddie Cochran

Hendrix

Jagger/Richards

Stradlin

Really? Lennon, Jagger Richards, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Izzy Stradlin belongs in a list beside them?

I like him. I like his solo albums. I do not even like GN'R so much these days, but his solo albums have this, pure, ramshackle vibe. Probably if I was being completely objective, I would replace him with Leber/Stoller or Pete Townsend or somebody.

I only heard the first Ju Ju Hounds one but yeah, it did have that sort of Keef quality to it eh?

I'm listening to The Band's epic live album The Last Waltz now, and I was thinking... Shouldn't Van Morrison be in this list?

Both the quality and quantity of music he's created in the past 50 years is nothing short of amazing. I mean we're talking about 34 albums among which are classics like Astral Weeks, Moondance and Avalon Sunset, not even counting the ones he made with Them. Many classics like Gloria, Brown Eyed Girl, Crazy Love, Jackie Wilson Said, Here Comes The Night, Bright Side Of The Road... The man's repertoire is incredibly impressive.

I'm listening to The Band's epic live album The Last Waltz now, and I was thinking... Shouldn't Van Morrison be in this list?

Both the quality and quantity of music he's created in the past 50 years is nothing short of amazing. I mean we're talking about 34 albums among which are classics like Astral Weeks, Moondance and Avalon Sunset, not even counting the ones he made with Them. Many classics like Gloria, Brown Eyed Girl, Crazy Love, Jackie Wilson Said, Here Comes The Night, Bright Side Of The Road... The man's repertoire is incredibly impressive.

he's on my list

he's on my list

You're a good man!

I must've missed it. ;)

Most consistent writers

Dylan

Neil Young

Jackson Brown

Have great songs but not as consistent

Axl/izzy

Yorke/Greenwood

Chris Cornell

Steven Tyler/Perry

Rufas Wainwright

Many more...I'm shooting blanks right now. Anyways are we talking about lyricist? Or music in general?

Edited by MEXzilla