Slash: Young Musicians ‘Just Want to Grab a Bunch of Cash’

Huge fan

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-young-musicians-comment/

At a certain point, just about all of us acquire enough age and/or experience that the actions of younger generations start to seem a little strange — or outright foolish. For Slash, that time might be now.

He vented his frustrations with the youth of the entertainment industry in a recent interview with Ireland’s Independent, sneering, “You know what’s wrong with the whole f—in’ entertainment business? Kids these days just want to grab a bunch of cash, do as little work, with as little integrity as possible, and just f—ing retire, man.”

It’s an attitude Slash can’t understand or abide because, as he insisted, he pursued a career in music “because I loved playing. I loved doing concerts. I loved recording. And that’s still what I’m in it for today.” (His fans seem to appreciate it, too; his latest effort, the recently released ‘World on Fire,’ debuted at No. 10 in the U.S.)

Asked what he’d say to his young sons (Cash, 10, and London, 12) if they came to him and said they wanted to follow in his footsteps, he struck a reasonable tone. “I’d say, ‘Look, if you want to pick up an instrument, play it because you love the sound it makes. If you want to write songs and be in a band, that’s fine, too. Just know there’s nothing to be gained from it except personal enjoyment.’”

Concluded Slash, “The chance of getting anywhere with it are so slim that you really need to be doing it for the love of it and not have any expectations. But they’re my kids, and I’m going to support them whatever they decide to do. Right now, I don’t see them headed in that direction. But then it didn’t click with me either ’til I was almost 15 years old.”

Edited by Huge fan

If I owned this forum I'd actually think about not posting Slash news in the GnR section. Simply because there is a vocal group that finds a way to criticize and twist everything Slash does into a negative.

Every headline that pops up on here, I know before even opening it that a specific group will twist it into a negative. It really is childish.

• Like 1

If I owned this forum I'd actually think about not posting Slash news in the GnR section. Simply because there is a vocal group that finds a way to criticize and twist everything Slash does into a negative.

Every headline that pops up on here, I know before even opening it that a specific group will twist it into a negative. It really is childish.

But look at the numbers, ppl really dig Slash things. Look at the World on Fire thread.

They should take out the GNR news instead, since they don't exist anymore. Make it a Slash forum, that would be interesting.

• Like 1

How do you twist what he said into a positive though ?

Do you really think that young people are less passionate nowadays simply because they use other means to create music ?

He sounds rather clueless about how music is being made nowadays because I can grant you that making a modern electronic / pop record takes just as much or even more work than making an old school rock record does...

Maybe we should consider banning posting about Axl too, lot of bad things said about him too, often by the same people over and over again.

On topic: I don't see anything outrageous here. I would think there have always been and will always be musicians who do it because music is their passion, and other musicians who just want to be rich and famous, and then retire.

Do you really think that young people are less passionate nowadays simply because they use other means to create music ?

He sounds rather clueless about how music is being made nowadays because I can grant you that making a modern electronic / pop record takes just as much or even more work than making an old school rock record does...

He's right in this:

Asked what he’d say to his young sons (Cash, 10, and London, 12) if they came to him and said they wanted to follow in his footsteps, he struck a reasonable tone. “I’d say, ‘Look, if you want to pick up an instrument, play it because you love the sound it makes. If you want to write songs and be in a band, that’s fine, too. Just know there’s nothing to be gained from it except personal enjoyment.’”

Nowdays there all they want is to be famous(reality shows)

• Like 3

There is a difference between the "message" being negative and it being true or not.

Passion is a tough thing to judge, but yes, I agree with him. He didn't say "all" young artists either. He is correct in his statement. I have a close friend whose son is an aspiring artist. He's released 20-25 songs on youtube and soundcloud. Is he out promoting his stuff? No. Is he out playing clubs? No. Is he out performing at local bars? No. Talent shows? No. Anywhere? No. What does he do? Sits at home, in his parents basement, creating songs on his computer. Then writes facebook posts about how music is his life and what he was born to do. Does he take vocal lessons? No. Does he take guitar lessons? No. Does he do anything to further or promote his career besides working on his computer? No.

When Slash was a kid, you had to get out there and do the WORK to make it big. You took guitar lessons, you went to music school, you practiced your instrument 8-10 hours a day, you started off playing in bars in front of 10 people. Guys lived in their cars or shared apartments with six other guys. Sacrificing everything to try and "make it."

Now a kid can never leave his house and put 20 songs out there on youtube and soudcloud and talk about he's a published musician.

Surely you see the difference?

PS

Just in case you missed this earlier, he didn't say all young musicians. There are plenty of hard working passionate young artists who are creating amazing music. BUT the advent of the internet has allowed those with less ambition/passion/work ethic to pretend like they are successful when they really aren't willing to put in the work to do so.

• Like 1

In other words "don't follow your dreams because I happen to have limiting beliefs about them", what most parents tell their kids instead of supporting them.

Wow. You are really twisting what he said now.

Do you think one should be honest with their children, even if it means crushing their dream?

A parent would be wrong to tell their 5-foot-3 one-legged daughter that she isn't going to play in the NFL?

In other words "don't follow your dreams because I happen to have limiting beliefs about them", what most parents tell their kids instead of supporting them.

Where are you getting that from? :lol:

I think the dude is a young musician so he's taking this (twisting Slash's point) as some sort of personal attack against himself.

I just went and re-read the quotes and holy cow. People who are twisting this into a huge negative statement by Slash are ridiculous. Nothing he said is wrong.

I just went and re-read the quotes and holy cow. People who are twisting this into a huge negative statement by Slash are ridiculous. Nothing he said is wrong.

Yes, Glow Inc. is a young experimental musician (if I can say that?). I assume he's not a millionaire because he's doing it for his passion for the music he does. Of course, Slash isn't talking about him. He's talking about the countless kids nowadays that just do whatever it takes to be famous and get money. Aren't we tired of seeing shit bands making money out of shit songs released in shit records? It's the reality, me thinks.

• Like 2

Yes, Glow Inc. is a young experimental musician (if I can say that?). I assume he's not a millionaire because he's doing it for his passion for the music he does. Of course, Slash isn't talking about him. He's talking about the countless kids nowadays that just do whatever it takes to be famous and get money. Aren't we tired of seeing shit bands making money out of shit songs released in shit records? It's the reality, me thinks.

Exactly, well said.

To act like reality TV, youtube, soundcloud, etc hasn't had an ill effect on people is ludicrous.

more like, follow your dreams, but be realistic kid.

Which amounts to the same thing.

Being "realistic" is exactly what keeps most dreams from happening.

And no, I don't take this as a personal attack : I just see this thing exactly the other way.

Every person who ever was successful, at some point, no matter how talented they actually are ( if it's even possible to quantify it ), put their dream before earthly considerations.

The only reason I'm a teacher and a part time musician, who is getting paid to create music every once in a while, is because I chose not to listen to my parents when they told me both were more or less impossible.

Edited by The Glow Inc.

He's not wrong, but it's not this black and white either. The rock scene then was more like the indy scene now. Could go any way, maybe a hit, it was more of a lifestyle. These days most rock is born with suburban youth in their parents garage (and that's the sleaziest form). It's just a whole different scene. But I do think it lacks a passion it did have in the heyday. I think that's what Slash means too. But to say it's about money is way too black and white.

So it's all about integrity now? I remember when it was about girls, liquor and drugs. Isn't that what most bands got into it for? :-p

He's right about doing it because you love it though, the music scene has changed so much it's only likely to make you wealthy if you go the manufactured route and become the top end of the heavily managed artists (Bieber, 1D etc..) you have to wonder how much even they make after everyone else's cut.

Same applies when an Axl related news came out from nowhere :shrugs:

• Like 1