Metallica

Snake-Pit

Here's a thought to ponder. Why aren't Metallica more respected as one of the great bands of all time? I put it down to them being a metal band, therefore never getting their dues from rags like RS and that whom really do gets deified in the public's eyes or not.

metal bands are always disrespected. people like rolling stone and all that shit have this elitist attitude and they make out metal and their fans to be stupid and metal music is for lower life forms.

Here's a thought to ponder. Why aren't Metallica more respected as one of the great bands of all time? I put it down to them being a metal band, therefore never getting their dues from rags like RS and that whom really do gets deified in the public's eyes or not.

metal bands are always disrespected. people like rolling stone and all that shit have this elitist attitude and they make out metal and their fans to be stupid and metal music is for lower life forms.

This sounds like somebody I know who posts on here!

I think Metallica has gotten more mainstream respect than any other metal band. Their musicianship has always been lauded and as time went on, they sort of became elder statesmen and since they did tone their sound down to invite more mainstream fans into their circle, they've always been a step above Megadeth, Maiden, Priest, Slayer and the rest of their contemporaries as far as critics are concerned. Priest, Maiden and Slayer have always preached METAL and that's always caused them to be seen more niche than Metallica, who have been very press friendly and will do all the talk shows and award shows. Getting inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame solidified their place among the all time elite and being accepted into the mainstream whereas Priest and Maiden are on the outside looking in despite being more influential, although that's debatable too.

Edited by Sixes
  • Like 1

They have been featured in magazines like RS and NME a few times. I think it is more a case of, the mainstream music press not being able to ignore them (because of their immense commercial success), not for any genuine affection. Metallica are never going to be Radiohead, darlings of the mainstream media.

I'm watching it right now. So far, so good. It's at least on par with the two other live streams, I've watched of them this year (Glastonbury and Rock AM Ring). The crowd is a bit meh, but sometimes, hey. A Stream is a stream and I do love me some live streaming.

Which crowd would one prefer? The Glastonbury crowd or a crowd full of video game enthusiasts?

Edit: Fuel is still way too fast, live. Slow that thing down.

Edited by Anguyen92

It all goes back to my previous question.

Which crowd would one prefer? The Glastonbury crowd or a crowd full of video game enthusiasts?

I actually prefer the video game nerds crowd. For the most part, sure they didn't look like they were moshing much (I think I saw some pushing around at a section during the stream), but I thought it looked like they were into it, still a bit meh though.

Edited by Anguyen92

It was an alright show, but the band could have played a new song..at least Lords of Summer, if they've actually been spending the past few months working in the studio on new material

Age is definitely catching up to the band, but they still put on a great show; couldn't figure out most of James' banter :lol:

Were you able to vote for any Metallica song or was there a list that you had to choose from?

http://www.metallicabyrequest.com/archive/

List of votes for concerts.

Seeing Death/Beyond Magnetic's tracks being stuck at the bottom of the lists while the old songs that get played at every show top the charts is sickening

The band's only released two albums in the past decade including Lulu, it's time to freshen things up

I'm shocked the band didn't release a CD/DVD of the 30th anniversary shows in California, was probably the three most interesting and exciting nights of the band's career

Weren't there four shows? And yeah, that was pretty exciting time for them. Four shows, where they played 80 different songs with the same ending song (Seek and Destroy) in a very small venue, by their standards, in San Francisco. I heard the tickets were really cheap where someone could see all four shows for like $25 or something, but you got to be part of their personal fan club to get it.

I'm shocked the band didn't release a CD/DVD of the 30th anniversary shows in California, was probably the three most interesting and exciting nights of the band's career

Weren't there four shows? And yeah, that was pretty exciting time for them. Four shows, where they played 80 different songs with the same ending song (Seek and Destroy) in a very small venue, by their standards, in San Francisco. I heard the tickets were really cheap where someone could see all four shows for like $25 or something, but you got to be part of their personal fan club to get it.

You're right, it was four shows

Metallica celebrated its 30th anniversary by playing four shows at the Fillmore in San Francisco. The shows were exclusive only to Met Club members and tickets were only being charged at $6 (or 19.81 for all four nights). The shows consisted of songs spanning their entire career and featured guest appearances by multiple artists that either helped or influenced Metallica. These shows were notable for having Dave Mustaine, Jason Newsted, Glenn Danzig, Ozzy Osbourne, Jerry Cantrell, Rob Halford, Apocalyptica, members of Diamond Head, and King Diamond join Metallica on stage for all appropriate songs.