Metallica

Snake-Pit

Lars was awesome in the 80s. Justice was the best drumming you'd get on a big 4 album, bar Lombardo and DM was a big return to form.

I'll take Cherlie Benante's drumming on any Anthrax album before anything Lars has done. Persistence Of Time especially.
Charlie is great. Also bearing in mind he is Anthrax's main songwriter with Scott Ian.
  • Like 1

If only the Beatles had Keith Moon as their drummer, and Steve Vai as their lead guitarist.

Watch any Metallica performance since the 90s and tell me Lars does a competent job on drums.

I think we are arguing different things here- I'm not trying to deny Lars or whoever "sucks" or isn't the bestest at playing drums...I'm saying that they are integral part of their respective band's sound and taking them out of said band does not make for better.

Ozzy Osbourne would be way better if they got rid of Ozzy and got a guy who can still sing....right?

Kerry King has written some brilliant Slayer songs, but they are sorely lacking when he's the only one left to give much of a shit about making music, Supremist was the last Slayer song I liked from him, that showed actual energy and innovation. He can still write some okay songs but I expect 75% of a slayer record these days to be 'nothing new, redundant and dreary'. Hanneman wrote a lot more brilliant songs than Kerry but Kerry has his share which goes over a lot of slayer fans heads. Speaking of KK I have one of his guitar picks cause I found it on the floor after seeing them in 08, when all four of them were in the same band still.

Kerry King has written some brilliant Slayer songs, but they are sorely lacking when he's the only one left to give much of a shit about making music, Supremist was the last Slayer song I liked from him, that showed actual energy and innovation. He can still write some okay songs but I expect 75% of a slayer record these days to be 'nothing new, redundant and dreary'. Hanneman wrote a lot more brilliant songs than Kerry but Kerry has his share which goes over a lot of slayer fans heads. Speaking of KK I have one of his guitar picks cause I found it on the floor after seeing them in 08, when all four of them were in the same band still.

i think slayer is about done from the way tom speaks it just seems the fire has gone completely out of the band. it just seems they want to do this one last album/cycle tour.

as for beyond magnetic i remember just a bullet away being decent.

Yeah I remember an interview with Araya lately which was just damn weird I'll find some of it to copy and paste;

When I heard it... After I heard the whole thing, 'My God, this is Slayer.' It's Slayer. When someone [asks], 'How do you feel about the record?' I say, 'It's Slayer. Well, half of Slayer, but it still sounds like Slayer.' It sounds like a Slayer record. When you listen to it, you go, 'This is Slayer.' But then you have to sit back and [go], 'Well, part of Slayer... It's half of Slayer.' You know what I mean? Because of what we've gone through. I listen to it and... Inside, yeah, I feel like, 'Okay, well this is...' Because of my perspective, it's half of Slayer. But when I listen to it, it's Slayer; it's identifiable."

He continued: "I think it's really good for half of Slayer. That's what I'm saying. When you listen to it, [you go], 'Oh my God, this is Slayer.' I said that without the thought that it's just me and [guitarist] Kerry [King from the original lineup]. I said it with, 'Oh my God. This is Slayer.' 'Cause I'm a fan. You know what I mean? And my concern is, 'What are people gonna think?' 'What am I gonna think?' And so when I heard it, I was, like, 'Oh my God, this is Slayer.' But deep inside, I know... I know that Jeff's not here, and that we were lucky enough to have a song of his on the record. So that, to me, was... 'Oh my God, this is Slayer.' But inside I correct myself. I go, 'Well, half of Slayer, but this is Slayer.' As a fan, I can sit back and go, 'My God...' And it sounded awesome."

• 2 weeks later...

Metallica are forced to release new music not when they want but when the disc company decide or what the contracts say.There are bands that realesing album every 2 years,new album,tour,then small space,new album,tour etc.

The problem is the uninspired lyrics,the only who can write stories.or whatever is james,the other members suck.

It's hard to find a biggest douche/asshole/joke than Lars.. But yeah, Kerry King is certainly one.

On the Motörboat last week, Kerry and Tom got off right after Slayer finished their second set. Apparently they're too good to be on a boat for another day and a half with some metalheads :rolleyes:

At least Gary Holt stuck around. I got to meet him and he was cool as shit.

• Like 1