Metallica

Snake-Pit

I thought Load was a good album. If you look past the mascara there are some good bluesy rockers on there.

I looked past the mascara and my friend bought the album first and after hearing it, I passed. Don't really care for a bluesy Metallica since they aren't really a bluesy band. The loss of Cliff and Lars wanting to slow down because of his limitations changed the band more than their outfits. The look was just the confirmation that they were abandoning their roots.

They did one thrash album without Cliff (...And Justice) and can we really be sure that Cliff would have been 'the rootsy'' Slash-type guy, attempting to hold them down to a thrash direction? He might have equally followed the course they began with the black album and continued with Load.

We can be sure. Cliff was the one that brought the rough against the grain attitude that the band had until all of the material from his era was used up. AJFA was their last effort at thrash and most likely contained riffs and songs from the Cliff era. I can say with almost 100% certainty that Cliff wouldn't have sold out and written empty songs for the payday that followed AJFA.

Mustaine and Cliff were the true creative members to be in Metallica during their rise and everything that made them great were the result of those two. When it comes to James' it's either A minor or E key recycled riffs and rhythms. Even the lyrics have been weaker since AJFA. James went into a beginner's comfort zone and Lars went even further complacent. In SKOM, you see a band that knows they have shifted into an empty money machine with no creativity. They even argued about whether or not to have solos because even they know it's "stock" when all of their shit sounds the same. They blame the genre when it is actually their own limitations. It was possible for them to progress without going full blown commercial but they chose the easier and more commercial route and grew stale as a result.

In a genre that grew up with bootlegs and copies of albums, they further confirmed their abandonment of those roots with attacking fans that listened to I Disappear on Napster. While there is merit to the argument against some piracy, it showed the priority being about the money and NOT the music. They were no longer about content. It was all a commodity to them by that point. The product was weak.

I was never able to get into numetal or half-assed songs.

Damn can't believe it's been that long since Death Magnetic, they really ought've built on that creative momentum, they weren't moving mountains but there was just enough within that record for me that they got away with the rehashing they clearly did but you can put that back to finding their feet after the messy St Anger, which I think a few songs are decent off.

Absolutely loved Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightening, Garage Days, Kill me All.......but for whatever reason today I can't stand the sound of Hetfield's voice.

I can still listen to the really old songs. But starting with Songs like One and Enter Sandman and everything since, I can't stand his voice.

Listening to Fade to Black and Jump In The Fire as I type this.

Absolutely loved Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightening, Garage Days, Kill me All.......but for whatever reason today I can't stand the sound of Hetfield's voice.

I can still listen to the really old songs. But starting with Songs like One and Enter Sandman and everything since, I can't stand his voice.

i liked him better before he "tried" to sing.

Because his voice matured and got a lot more gruff and as I like to say "lumberjackesque"?

Easy to take the piss out of Lars, but he's the perfect drummer for Metallica.

A bit like how Adler is the perfect drummer for GNR...also Tommy is perfect for the Crue.

He was a good drummer until 2000

After that point, he is horrendous

That being said when i get high, i start to like the "trash can sound" on the St. Anger album....

Btw Lars was a fucking monster in the 80's when Steven is just your anyday sunset strip drummer... don't get me wrong i really enjoy his playing on the bootlegs and of course on AFD and on the outtakes, but c'mon...

Tommy Lee is a bit over rated, but he is a good drummer for sure and yeah he IS essential for Crüe

Edited by Strange Broue

Really man... Tommy Lee, Lars Ulrich, Steven Adler.... They don't technically drum shit. Any drummer with a significant knowledge of drumming knows that. Yeah, they've got cool "feel" but that's 'cause you're used to their drumming on the original recording and anything else seems strange. Tommy Lee, Lars Ulrich and Steven Adler are C+ drummers at best.

A bit like how Adler is the perfect drummer for GNR...also Tommy is perfect for the Crue.

That being said when i get high, i start to like the "trash can sound" on the St. Anger album....

Btw Lars was a fucking monster in the 80's when Steven is just your anyday sunset strip drummer... don't get me wrong i really enjoy his playing on the bootlegs and of course on AFD and on the outtakes, but c'mon...

Tommy Lee is a bit over rated, but he is a good drummer for sure and yeah he IS essential for Crüe

Really man... Tommy Lee, Lars Ulrich, Steven Adler.... They don't technically drum shit. Any drummer with a significant knowledge of drumming knows that. Yeah, they've got cool "feel" but that's 'cause you're used to their drumming on the original recording and anything else seems strange. Tommy Lee, Lars Ulrich and Steven Adler are C+ drummers at best.

I agree that they are far from "the best" or anything but what I'm saying is that it wouldn't be Metallica without Lars, Motley Crue without Tommy Lee and (according to Izzy at least) it wasn't the same without Adler in GNR.

I agree that they are far from "the best" or anything but what I'm saying is that it wouldn't be Metallica without Lars, Motley Crue without Tommy Lee and (according to Izzy at least) it wasn't the same without Adler in GNR.

Dude, that's because you're used to them when you listen to those bands. The Beatles wouldn't sound the same without Ringo. Is he a decent drummer? No man, he sucks. All those bands vould easily exist without those guys. Yeah, Lars created Metallica technically but he isn't really a creative force behind it all. What I mean is... If jimmy the drummer was GnR's drummer from the beginning, who says he wouldn't be "the perfect drummer for gnr"? After all, that's the drumming you'd be used to.

Dude, that's because you're used to them when you listen to those bands. The Beatles wouldn't sound the same without Ringo. Is he a decent drummer? No man, he sucks. All those bands vould easily exist without those guys. Yeah, Lars created Metallica technically but he isn't really a creative force behind it all. What I mean is... If jimmy the drummer was GnR's drummer from the beginning, who says he wouldn't be "the perfect drummer for gnr"? After all, that's the drumming you'd be used to.

Yet he is rated very highly be other drummers and people involved in the music industry,

http://web2.airmail.net/gshultz/drumpage.html