Metallica

Snake-Pit

james sounded very good on the unforgiven II

His voice got so much better when his body finally recovered from quitting drinking.

i watched a video of him doing disposable heroes and he was really good on that as well, there were a couple of rough parts but i havent heard james sound that good in a while IMO.

• 3 months later...

Metallica were once one of my favs. Master of Puppets is 100% perfect. As vague and simple as James' lyrics are, even they were perfect on MoP.

AJFA was alright even though they shit all over Jason. Decent songs, bad production.

The black album was so commercial but it still had something but I mark this as the best and worst thing they could have done. Financially it was a good decision for them but they seemed to think they needed to slow down and change their style and it resulted in the next two albums.

Load pushed me away. I remember the excitement when the news of Metallica's return hit the airwaves. Then when I saw them all with mascara on and short hair it was a big wtf. Then to see the Until it Sleeps video was just no.

Reload reminded me why I abandoned the band. More of the same.

SKOM was a joke. Weak material and OMFG that snare. :vomit:

DM while a decent attempt to return to their roots, it felt so mashed together and desperate. The production of it was terrible and even though I have listened to the versions without the brickwall, it just doesn't cut it. It shows they were trying too hard and that they will just never be capable of returning to their form.

I know a lot of people like their new stuff but imo Metallica died when Cliff did. He was obviously the anchor for their raw roots. Once he was gone, the slow descent began.

GNR and Metallica. The two big bands that departed my stereo around the same time. Now thanks to radio stations overplaying Metallica, the joke GNR became and finding out what bastards I consider the singers to be, I don't listen to em anymore.

Redemption isn't possible with Metallica even though they tried hard. GNR has a chance if the hatchet is truly buried and they can sound half as decent as before.

How did they manage to go bankrupt?

Orion Festival was a commercial flop, as was Through The Never.

They knew going in Orion wouldn't make money. To suggest they're fucking broke is retarded. Lars made like 20 million on camera in Some Kind of Monster selling his art.

I'd highly doubt they're bankrupt but all this superfluous shit is doing my head in. The Antarctica gig, the snowboards, the focking Budweiser?

Including the fact that they manage to do at least one gig in all seven continents within a year, as well. I do not want to say that they are bankrupt to the point where they cannot support their families and livelihood, but man, have they manage to make some bad financial moves that they, and maybe only they, can easily afford like the flop of Orion festival and Through the Never.

I do not think that if it's a matter of affording to make a 10th album, since if promoted well enough, they can easily crack platinum and do a big world tour supporting that album and make millions of dollars of revenue. I mainly think it's a desire to do an album that's the issue. If they do something like Death Magnetic, then people accuse them for just rehashing their old stuff and being watered down compared to their prime years. If they do something like Load/Reload, and do something different than metal, then people will accuse them of selling out and denouncing their metal roots. They just cannot win either way.

So, they just might as well go about it whatever they want, whether to commit to making an album or not, that satisfies them. For me, it doesn't matter. I always welcome new albums with open ears and hope it's the best they want it to be and take it from there.

Metallica's far from broke, they could likely live comfortably off royalty checks the rest of their lives

It's been over seven years since Death Magnetic was released and Metallica only has one new song since then, I think it's time to elevate the new album to Detox/ChiDem status

How did they manage to go bankrupt?

Orion Festival was a commercial flop, as was Through The Never.

They aren't broke, they just lost money on Orion and the movie

BTW, I attended the second Orion. It was a ton of fun and looked well attended. But, with the amount of stuff it had I can see why it didn't make money

I thought Load was a good album. If you look past the mascara there are some good bluesy rockers on there.

I looked past the mascara and my friend bought the album first and after hearing it, I passed. Don't really care for a bluesy Metallica since they aren't really a bluesy band. The loss of Cliff and Lars wanting to slow down because of his limitations changed the band more than their outfits. The look was just the confirmation that they were abandoning their roots.

I thought Load was a good album. If you look past the mascara there are some good bluesy rockers on there.

I looked past the mascara and my friend bought the album first and after hearing it, I passed. Don't really care for a bluesy Metallica since they aren't really a bluesy band. The loss of Cliff and Lars wanting to slow down because of his limitations changed the band more than their outfits. The look was just the confirmation that they were abandoning their roots.

They did one thrash album without Cliff (...And Justice) and can we really be sure that Cliff would have been 'the rootsy'' Slash-type guy, attempting to hold them down to a thrash direction? He might have equally followed the course they began with the black album and continued with Load.