Whose Nightrain solo do you prefer?

Battle of the solos  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Slash plays it the best regardless of who wrote it. It's a sleazy badass rock n roll solo and he's the only one who plays it that way. The others are simply adequate covers

"It's not supposed to sound good"

Sounds about right :P

IMHO Bumblefoot's AM Ring 2006 has to be the best Nightrain Solo by far. Bumble took what was there and added some shredding and it just flowed.

Whoa, that's amazing. It's amazing how awful that sounded.

Nightrain is a very simple blues-based chord progression backing the ending solo. That chord progression is designed for minor-key pentatonic based lead work-- which is exactly what Slash plays.

Ron's dissonant sloppy sliding shred and sweep picking is so out of place. It's like putting a slice of raw onion on top of a cookie. Sure, you can do it, but it just doesn't work well.

I mean holy shit, that Ron solo is excruciating.

Edited by niceguy
  • Like 1

Every night he played in gnr for, about 80% of the setlist. See that riff he is playing? That's Slash's.

It'd be impersonation if he dressed like Slash and tried to emulate Slash's bluesy style of playing, but he did neither. He stuck to his own style and clearly didn't give the slightest inkling of a fuck if he sounded anything at all like Slash. You can't call that impersonation.

• Like 1

Ron's one-handed solo in Glasgow in 2012 will always be my favorite. Haven't seen anything like it before or since.

Yeah that was great, I went to every uk/Ireland show that year and that was good

Wish he'd have kept that as part of the show. That was really impressive. Izzy played a couple shows right after that, right? That had to be a fun little tour to follow.

Buckethead's take on it is glorious, obv you give Slash full credit for the original which is a superb solo but Bucket sure as shit ain't no slouch and really elevates it even farther for me.

:headbang:

Buckethead always changed the Nightrain solo, I liked that. Great performance.

• Like 2

Look don't get me wrong here, Slash made severe contributions to one hell of a fucking rock n' roll behemoth, contributions is a mediocre word, he created it with the other guys and it's pretty much blasphemy to vote Bucket but this guy clearly understands the significance of the track and I can just feel some kinda additional appendage he conjures up to suit the vibe of the song all the time he fluctuates, it always seemed to slide seamlessly in there, guy's a damn chameleon.

Yeah I gotta agree, gave that rock am ring Ron solo another try and it's just bad. It's only my opinion which doesn't really matter, but slashs is soooo much better then that. The songs not built for shredding like that. It sounds like someone's taking a bubble bath while recording the guitar solo

See those examples of Buckethead's Nightrain solos just do nothing for me. Sure they are good but they have NO business in the Nightrain song. Seriously Buckethead's versions border on power ballad solos. Too melodic, too soft, too smooth. Then you hear how Slash plays it and it's just sleazy to the core. Badass rock n roll guitar solo. There is no question who's is better and who's fits the song better.

• Like 3

Buckethead's take is IMO not right at all for the song. He's immensely talented and with much better and more varied technique than Slash, sure... but if the feel isn't right it just doesn't fit.

Seriously, I think Buckethead's take gives Nightrain another sound, which I really liked. I still prefer Slash's version since he wrote and recorded Nightrain but to be honest, Buckethead did an amazing job with that song.