The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

With a different strategy he has a good chance and a fully fit shoulder will help but I still have Floyd winning this time at 60% instead of 55%. Pacquiao just looked bamboozled and cautious after the two immediate round 1 counters and can't get around Mayweather's jab, without a speed advantage he looked in serious trouble and had nothing to fall back on, he avoided the traps well and had some insane body movement to throw Floyd off. The shoulder can't have been that much a detriment to blame 75% on the shoulder, 25% on how Floyd unexpectedly ran and potshotted... seriously dude you've had 5 years to study him and feign ignorance that the guy avoided exchanging to gather points? You've seen Vitali Klitschko, Jeff Lacy, Andre Berto fight with severe tears, they could barely lift their arms to parry punches, I give Castillo great credit for beating Floyd in number 1, Mayweather obviously had shoulder issues but he was still game and this is boxing, shit happens and he clearly had the style to cause Floyd problems, he had no excuse for Maidana 1.

Pacman looked lost and a fully fit shoulder would've made jack shit difference in that fight imo. He'll always have the tools to cause Mayweather problems if applied correctly. Pacquiao cannot fight effectively at anything but mid-range and he moves in straight lines and doesn't adjust, expects to overwhelm with speed, I thought they prepared for this.... There was no pressuring and he was trying to match counter for counter. He was cautious as hell and seemed to be trying to outpoint Mayweather rather than be his usual reckless, relentless self... sure he might get caught but everyone takes the counters to get to Mayweather if they want to be successful. He was negated and gave no credit, my shoulder, he ran, he didn't play fair in the build up... please. I'm a massive Pacquiao fan as well as a Mayweather one.

Edited by RandallFlagg

I cant call myself a fan of either of em? I think maybe it's an age thing but like...when i was younger fighters from past and present inspired that in me, i could say i was a Roy Jones fan, a Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank, Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali, Ray Leonard, Ray Robinson VERY VERY much so, lots of em, Henry Armstrong, Roberto Duran is some i love...but i just can't say it about Mayweather Pacquiao, i dunno why. I think like fan-dom is something you develop as a kid, when you get older you watch it in a more detached way.

I used to be a blind Mike Tyson fan, still would be if he fought. I feel i know a little about boxing but i just rated Tyson so much i never really like...believed his demise, it really sunk in to me when he lost to Danny Williams, i always thought somehow that like, he was Tyson and he'd pull it out the bag.

I suppose your football team, fighters, film starts etc that you rate in that particular way tend to be from your youth.

I seen fighters hurt themselves during fights or fight hurt, Ali and Norton you saw it, Cossell called it, Mayweather Castillo you heard him say it in the corner, this Pacman shit is kinda outta nowhere, smells fishy if you ask me.

Edited by Len B'stard

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. There were a lot of people picking Tyson over Lewis. But now we know that Tyson's demise was one colossal slide from Holyfield downwards. There is actually no way Tyson could have beating Lewis but it is so much easier to say that now. But we did not know all of this at the time.

Duran is one of my faves, the Barkley fight was an insane achievement out of his prime. I know he gave Hagler a decent challenge but the Barkley fight I dunno I think it's a wonderful thing, especially considering Barkley smacked Hearns around.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. There were a lot of people picking Tyson over Lewis. But now we know that Tyson's demise was one colossal slide from Holyfield downwards. There is actually no way Tyson could have beating Lewis but it is so much easier to say that now. But we did not know all of this at the time.

No one who counts picked Tyson over Lewis.

I watched a lot of Tyson fights here recently, and it was even before the first Holyfield fight. After prison he was never the same. Yes he was still better than just about everyone else, but he lost the movement, he just wanted to out slug guys. That is why he lost to Holyfield the first time, he didn't have any of his old head and feet movement, everything was straight up and down the middle. Holyfield, to his credit, could deal with that TYSON, and deserevedly won that fight. After that fight, yes Tyson just plain gave up IMO, he didn't really care anymore. They all say a great fighter has one great fight left in them, and Mikes was the Botha fight. He came in out of shape, just looking for a pay day, and fucking botha out boxed Tyson. But Mike had his legend moment and landed one of the most devastating punches in the history of the sport, but before that, Botha was winning. That, in retrospect was Mike's last stand.

But I have always maintained that the real Tyson was last seen in the Ruddock fights. He looks better in those 2 fights than he looked against Douglas, Bruno, and others. He took those fights seriously, and so did Ruddock. Anyone that thinks Tyson never fought any wars, has to go and watch those 2 fights again, those were Tysons wars. Ruddock said it, and I agree, neither fighter was the same after those fights, it took something out of both of them. Holyfield might of been the champ, but Tyson and Ruddock were the 2 best heavyweights in the planet at that time. IMO they would have beaten Holyfield, bowe, foreman, and Lennox at that time. They were special fights and the end of real Tyson. After prison Tyson was very good, but no longer great. After Holyfield Tyson was a shell of a former great fighter.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Canelo promises action, so the papers say :)

Quite a lot going on over here boxingwise too, Luke Campbells fighting, so's Anthony Joshua, Matthew Macklin, Bradley Skeete, Felix Sturm, plus Omar Figueroa vs Ricky Burns, Clottey is fighting too, frankie gomez too.