Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

Would have heard more about it if it was happening.

fyi On Lesnar in UFC. He'd need to enter the USADA testing pool for at least 5 months before a fight, he hasn't yet. So the fight if it happened wouldn't be till probably the Summer at the earliest given Mania season starts in 5 months.

Brock would make alot of money and that's assuming he lost the fight. It's a win/win. 

I'd say I'd hope he stuck around (and maybe he will), but they're very wasteful of his dates. I mean he shows up randomly on RAW just to stand there and have Heymen cut a promo. Too few of the dates are actually used on PPVs. He could have just showed up every few months on PPV and beat people, but nope! Pre-Mania I think they even had him show up on a RAW or a few and not even film his segments.

Edited by AtariLegend
Terrible/lazy typing.

I think this is Brock's last crack at UFC so I could actually see him sticking with it if he were to beat Jones. He may want one more title run in the HW division. If he could accomplish that and then come back to WWE he'd be beyond a massive star and then whoever they decided to have go over him would be shot to the stars...... as long as it\s not Roman. Worst thing WWE could do is have Brock take the pin at Summer Slam but even they aren't that stupid to do that.......... or are they?

8 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Yano's sole purpose in the G-1 every year is to take a loss. He provides a break in-between the other matches and normally relies on comedy tactics, with a rare surprise win. Someone needs to come last!

You're not going to see Yano main eventing and headlining the Tokyo Dome. However he is facing Suzuki on the night before the final, maybe he'll cause an upset and cost Suzuki the final (Don't think it'll happen).

I'm a bit worried though where they're going with Nakamura. He beat Cena clean, but he has to work SummerSlam against Jinder Mahal and is likely going lose it immediately to Corbin. Really don't think Corbin will work out for them. Seen plenty over the years like him, they only ever get a token title run at best before fading into obscurity. 

Nakamura they could actually do something with, if they let him have proper big matches and not having JBL call him "The Rockstar" or "The Artist".

Haven't seen Ibushi vs. Tanahashi yet, but heard it was really good.

I know that's what Yano is there for - hence the laughing emoji

You could do something good here. Put the belt on Nakamura, he gets the taste for WWE gold, then Corbin strips it away. Get Corbin in a program with AJ, get the belt on Styles, then let Nakamura have a good long chase before coronating him at mania. Doubt that's where they're going, but I'm willing to let it play out.

KO weighed in on the suplex, and its fucking gold. 

52 minutes ago, axlslash said:

Put the belt on Nakamura, he gets the taste for WWE gold, then Corbin strips it away. Get Corbin in a program with AJ, get the belt on Styles, then let Nakamura have a good long chase before coronating him at mania. Doubt that's where they're going, but I'm willing to let it play out.

Seems like one of their most viable options to get a stellar Mania main event. So they won't do it. 

52 minutes ago, axlslash said:

KO weighed in on the suplex, and its fucking gold. 

:lol: 

Owens always seems to be a witty asshole with this stuff. I like that. More unscripted promos! 

8 minutes ago, username said:

Seems like one of their most viable options to get a stellar Mania main event. So they won't do it. 

:lol: 

Owens always seems to be a witty asshole with this stuff. I like that. More unscripted promos! 

Pessimism is certainly my instinct there too. But if you listen to AJ on E&C's Pod of Awesomeness, it sounds like he's really going to bat to make their feud a long build that respects its magnitude, and it sounds like Vince and co. are taking that to heart based on the Mobey In The Bank stare down. So I think the feud will happen, and it will happen right when it does. Or at least it seems that way now. Nia's interview on TIJ today makes pretty clear how mercurial even the biggest plans are. 

3 hours ago, username said:

You know they'll put Jinder with A.J. and Nakamura with Shane!

Wrestlemania season is the driving force of the company outside of TV revenue. Until people stop buying tickets to Mania before the card is announced, don't expect WWE to start stacking the card!

Edited by AtariLegend

3 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Does anybody watch Being The Elite?

The new entry is absolutely stunning. THAT....was a WWE stooge!

Just finished G1 Day 14. Omega/Juice and Evil/Okada were absolutely spectacular. Evil has pretty munched cashed out his lifetime bump card this tournament. Win or not, he and Big Mike are getting over real strong this tournament. Absolutely love the way this all is setting up heading to the final days... This is wrestling. No big dramatic entertainment outside of competition, just the drama of sport playing out. It's wonderful. 

9 hours ago, axlslash said:

The new entry is absolutely stunning. THAT....was a WWE stooge!

Just finished G1 Day 14. Omega/Juice and Evil/Okada were absolutely spectacular. Evil has pretty munched cashed out his lifetime bump card this tournament. Win or not, he and Big Mike are getting over real strong this tournament. Absolutely love the way this all is setting up heading to the final days... This is wrestling. No big dramatic entertainment outside of competition, just the drama of sport playing out. It's wonderful. 

I haven't watched that many NJPW matches but when I do my neck hurts afterwards. Those are some brave wrestlers.

1 hour ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

I haven't watched that many NJPW matches but when I do my neck hurts afterwards. Those are some brave wrestlers.

I've watched the big PPVs this year and the tournament matches from this year's G1, but I'm new to it as well. It's absolutely fucking brutal. 

It the finals this week. 3 nights in a row at Sumo Hall (In English commentary if you prefer).

Slightly disappointed with the booking though, it's a complete 360 from last year.

On the 11th A BLOCK all comes down to;

Tetsuya Naito vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (beaten up)

On the 12th B BLOCK comes down to;

Kenny Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada 

The Final the 13th;

Is probably Tetsuya Naito vs. Kenny Omega. Naito is the favorite, but Omega if he beats Okada on Saturday will probably get a title shot before the Tokyo Dome show.

Was kind of holding out for a shock Ibushi trip the final, but oh well. Should be a killer weekend in terms of the top matches on those shows.

Edited by AtariLegend

4 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

It the finals this week. 3 nights in a row at Sumo Hall (In English commentary if you prefer).

Slightly disappointed with the booking though, it's a complete 360 from last year.

On the 11th A BLOCK all comes down to;

Tetsuya Naito vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (beaten up)

On the 12th B BLOCK comes down to;

Kenny Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada 

The Final the 13th;

Is probably Tetsuya Naito vs. Kenny Omega. Naito is the favorite, but Omega if he beats Okada on Saturday will probably get a title shot before the Tokyo Dome show.

Was kind of holding out for a shock Ibushi trip the final, but oh well. Should be a killer weekend in terms of the top matches on those shows.

The B block booking makes sense. To do Omega/Okada III in a 30-minute non-title match, the only way it could possibly carry the gravity that the matchup deserves is to make it win-and-you're-in. I'd have preferred that they be in separate blocks and go 80-90 minutes in the no-time-limit final, but this is the best route if they have to be in the same block. And I love who they've given each of their losses to and how, so I'll take that.

A block has definitely taken the more predictable route. I'd have liked more of a wildcard there. But so be it. 

Kenny has to end up with the belt, and it has to come off Okada. The long build is too perfect, and Omega is too over as a baby, not to get that payoff. Unless they expect him to bolt when his deal comes up in January, which I have a hard time seeing, it's time for the coronation. 

On August 8, 2017 at 5:33 PM, axlslash said:

The B block booking makes sense. To do Omega/Okada III in a 30-minute non-title match, the only way it could possibly carry the gravity that the matchup deserves is to make it win-and-you're-in. I'd have preferred that they be in separate blocks and go 80-90 minutes in the no-time-limit final, but this is the best route if they have to be in the same block. And I love who they've given each of their losses to and how, so I'll take that.

A block has definitely taken the more predictable route. I'd have liked more of a wildcard there. But so be it. 

Kenny has to end up with the belt, and it has to come off Okada. The long build is too perfect, and Omega is too over as a baby, not to get that payoff. Unless they expect him to bolt when his deal comes up in January, which I have a hard time seeing, it's time for the coronation. 

I think Naito's the one getting the belt or at least headling the Tokyo Dome. Omega's the western favorite, but Naito is the most over person in the company and selling the most merchandise. Okada's is also close to breaking Hashimoto's record and having one of the best title reigns by anyone sine the 90's at least.

Maybe Omega wins Saturday and gets a title shot at King of Pro Wrestling (the biggest show between the G-1 and the Tokyo Dome show) , but I'd be surprised if he won it. The money's with Okada/Naito and Omega/Ibushi.

Then again last year at this point, Naito was the favorite with the alternative options being Okada or Tanahashi and Shibata the dark horse. If not then surely Marufuji or Nakajima from NOAH, or an Ishii feel good story? A last big tournament win for Nagata? Nope!

They swerved us all instead and we got an Omega/Goto final. Even then no one really expected an Omega win.

6 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

I think Naito's the one getting the belt or at least headling the Tokyo Dome. Omega's the western favorite, but Naito is the most over person in the company and selling the most merchandise. Okada's is also close to breaking Hashimoto's record and having one of the best title reigns by anyone sine the 90's at least.

Maybe Omega wins Saturday and gets a title shot at King of Pro Wrestling (the biggest show between the G-1 and the Tokyo Dome show) , but I'd be surprised if he won it. The money's with Okada/Naito and Omega/Ibushi.

Then again last year at this point, Naito was the favorite with the alternative options being Okada or Tanahashi and Shibata the dark horse. If not then surely Marufuji or Nakajima from NOAH, or an Ishii feel good story? A last big tournament win for Nagata? Nope!

They swerved us all instead and we got an Omega/Goto final. Even then no one really expected an Omega win.

Then maybe you strap Omega at KoPW and have him drop it to Naito at WK12. I know LIJ has overtaken BC for merch sales and that Naito is eclipsing Omega in popularity. But this year-long Omega/Okada chase... You can't just end it here. You have to pay it off with Kenny getting his hands on the belt. I know they might not do it, but it just feels like too much of a build to swerve out of like that. 

9 minutes ago, moreblack said:

The IWC losing it over an old faded tattoo?

Do people in 2017 still use the word "IWC"?

The penultimate night of G-1 is this morning (or night depending on what country you're in). 10:30 AM GMT.

Okada/Omega III to see who faces Naito tomorrow morning.

They're really going to have to go for it, this one won't be an hour long.

Edited by AtariLegend

9 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Do people in 2017 still use the word "IWC"?

The penultimate night of G-1 is this morning (or night depending on what country you're in). 10:30 AM GMT.

Okada/Omega III to see who faces Naito tomorrow morning.

They're really going to have to go for it, this one won't be an hour long.

Omega is going to win this and then lose to Naito. He'll challenge Okada for the belt and after he wins it feud with Naito. That's my guess anyway. 

On 8/11/2017 at 10:06 AM, axlslash said:

I saw that on instagram. Don't like it at all. It just looks like a blurry mess to me now and it looks kinda like an alien. You really have to look at it to tell what it is. From a distant it's just gonna look ike a dark shade of mess. 

Shibata coming out during intermission to say;

'I'm alive! That's all!'

Was quite the moment. Moment of the tournament so far, despite all the great matches. 

Very few moments in wrestling like that, you can see half the audience in tears.

Omega/Naito was amazing btw. Not sure if it's match of the year, but given this year it's still one of the best matches I've ever seen.

I highly recommend checking it out, preferably in Japaneses commentary. English team apart from Kevin Kelly was sketchy, but the match is still a must see.

Edited by AtariLegend

2 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Apparently Ric Flair isn't in a good way at the minute and his manager/management company asked for prayers.

Hopefully he pulls through.

WWE has confirmed to TMZ that he is in a medically-induced coma and is being prepped for heart surgery...shitty situation, hopefully he comes out ok.