Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

Unsurprising news, but a potentially huge spoiler for Saturday night in Brooklyn:

PWI is reporting that Adam Cole has been at the performance center all week and is officially signed to NXT. No word yet on when he'll debut, but hard to imagine he won't show up ringside at TakeOver.

3 hours ago, moreblack said:

The old "Sitting ringside is the hottest free agent"

They done it with Ibushi several times at Takeovers, despite the fact that he refused to commit to a deal with them.

Thank fuck he refused.

Ibushi's been awesome this year in NJPW during sporadic appearances and is almost certainly set for a early MOTY candidate next year against Omega at the Tokyo Dome. If he had signed with WWE, he'd been on fucking 205 Live losing every week like Masscara Dorada or had Titus O'Neil as his manager. Same with Zack Sabre J.R.

As for Cole, meh. He's good and he has good matches, but he's never been one of the elites of ROH nevermind NJPW. I'm sure he'll be successful in WWE, but I've just never been excited by the prospect of an Adam Cole match.

3 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

They done it with Ibushi several times at Takeovers, despite the fact that he refused to commit to a deal with them.

Thank fuck he refused.

Ibushi's been awesome this year in NJPW during sporadic appearances and is almost certainly set for a early MOTY candidate next year against Omega at the Tokyo Dome. If he had signed with WWE, he'd been on fucking 205 Live losing every week like Masscara Dorada or had Titus O'Neil as his manager. Same with Zack Sabre J.R.

As for Cole, meh. He's good and he has good matches, but he's never been one of the elites of ROH nevermind NJPW. I'm sure he'll be successful in WWE, but I've just never been excited by the prospect of an Adam Cole match.

Cole is very good, not great, in the ring, but he's excellent at character work. ROH works on the NJPW model where character only matters as much as carries into the in-ring work, and I think Cole is much better suite to the "sports entertainment" model than he is the pure pro wrestling model. I think he's more NXT than main roster, at least right now, but I'm excited to see what he can do character-wise with the better production values.

Also, Joey Ryan's dick is the most protected move in wrestling, and this is wonderful:

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/897499122885730305

Good thing Corbin lost the MITB gimmick. Not that I watched the show.

For those that don't know, Corbin decided to act like it was the 80's and take shots at Metzler. A fan replied to Corbin defending Metz, Corbin threw the fan under the bus along with the usual carny talk. Fan posted a picture of himself with Vince, turns out that fan is a US vet. Corbin persisted.

This might have something to do with it, maybe not.

Edited by AtariLegend

10 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Good thing Corbin lost the MITB gimmick. Not I watched the show.

For those that don't know, Corbin decided to act like it was the 80's and take shots at Metzler. A fan replied to Corbin defending Metz, Corbin throw the fan under the boss along with the usual carny talk. Fan posted a picture of himself with Vince, turns out that fan is a US vet. Corbin persisted.

This might have something to do with it, maybe not.

Either way I'm glad he lost the briefcase. Now we don't have to worry about him cashing in on Nakamura or some BS.

3 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Poor Corbin.

Is anybody looking forward to SummerSlam now?

I'm more excited. Corbin's been boring as fuck, and with him holding the briefcase, Nakamura winning Sunday would have been a let-down because he'd get buried for Corbin. Now, the failure can fuel Corbin's feud with Cena, get him some real heat and drive, a proper #1 Contender push, all the while Nakamura can put together a real title run, and when Corbin comes around to take the strap, it'll mean something. 

Nakamura should squash Jinder. It's seriously going to harm him long term if he's doing competitive matches with geeks.

The Ziggler match was bad enough, let him squash Jinder. 

As for Wyatt, he's one of the worst big match performers I've ever seen. Other than a match against Bryan Danielson several years ago, Brays matches vary from mediocre at the high end to a fucking abortion at the low end. Devitts probably going to be less over coming out of this feud.

Also not sure why Devitt has to be "The Demon King" either. Why can't he just occasionally put on war paint for big matches? In NJPW he wore the same paint randomly, I don't remember "The Demon King" bit.

-edit-

Oh and I still think the fact that they didn't put Nakamura/Cena on this show instead is indefensible. 

Edited by AtariLegend

11 hours ago, axlslash said:

Now, the failure can fuel Corbin's feud with Cena, get him some real heat and drive, a proper #1 Contender push, all the while Nakamura can put together a real title run, and when Corbin comes around to take the strap, it'll mean something. 

Cena will beat Corbin, convincingly.

I've read that Cena will be on the RAW after SummerSlam. He'll probably feud with whoever takes the title from Lesnar if he's dropping it. (Here's hoping it's Joe).

I'm the only one who wants Jinder to beat Nakamura I think. Just not a fan of Nakamura and I like that Jinder as champ draws such massive heat.  I don't give two shits about the mini Shield reunion, I actually think the way they've handled Demon Balor is horrible and the gimmick has become stupid and Finn overall is someone I'm not even interested in at all. I'd prefer Bray to win. I'd love to see Brock squash everyone but we now he's leaving so Strowman better win but he won.t  Overall WWE has been pretty uninteresting to me lately.  

3 hours ago, moreblack said:

The title matches all look like they have potential to be good. Or at least trainwrecky in an entertaining way like Nak/Jinder

Shane will probably ruin KO-AJ. 

Jinder ruins everything he's in. 

The women's title matches are boring. 

The only title matches I'm interested in are the Uni title and the RAW tag titles tbh. Oh and Neville-Tozawa will probably be decent. 

All 4 of the non-title matches on the card have been shit feuds.

58 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

How does Nakamura lose to Jinder? WTF?

More importantly, why book the match in the first place? If Jinder was winning, why have Nakamura sell for most of it?

No wonder people are starting to doubt the guy. He's went from Ziggler/Corbin to Jinder. ...And they've tried to brand him too. Silly things like "Nakamura Dynasty" and "The Artist".

Nak's one of my favorites, but I've no interest in seeing where they go with this. They should just had him wrestle Cena at SummerSlam instead. If he didn't have the entrance he'd be doomed.

Well I hope he's making plenty of money.