Two NYPD officers shot and killed

Snowmass

All one has to do to find the little convenient twist to the crime statistics is look at who is committing the most crimes in the country.

35cl92f.jpg

The "per capita" argument is only to twist it in favor of the biggest offender. Using these base statistics to average out criminals per 100,000 is a shortcut and a diversion. If you have 200 regular users on this board and a couple of users seem to have dozens if not hundreds of alts, you don't average those alts out to your users to suggest that "X.0x" users have alts. That is what is happening with this per capita crime discussion.

When repeat offenses aren't factored, and unfair conviction rates aren't factored into the reported crimes, and racial profiling leading to arrest isn't factored............ it's just a shallow effort to deflect the discussion.

Simply put, you can't look at that chart and say that 3 out of every 10 black people is a criminal. Why? Because there are repeat offenses and disproportionate policing procedures that lead to a lop-sided arrest totals and conviction rates. Are whites convicted less? Yes. Do they receive weaker sentences? Yes. Does our current prison system house and facilitate future repeat offenders? Yes. Who is disproportionately imprisoned? We may as well just try to say that since x amount of prisoners are of y race, x amount of criminals are of y race.

All this does is spin it to assume that more black people, per capita, are criminals. Feed the fear. Support police harassment, corruption and prejudice.

It never stepped forward. The government just stopped sponsoring it openly and it was being swept under the rug.

"Look. We elected a black president." Nearly everything in response to that has shown the underlying racism of many.

It's not getting old for me. I've witnessed it as a white person where I grew up. I was the minority. Unfortunately those cops were crucified for the sins of others. Just like a lot of us citizens. It's time to face the ugly truth instead of thinking that we can shake hands, have a cup of tea and watch the problem just go away........like Keyser Soze.

If we're going to correct this f'd up country, we all need each other anyways.

• Like 1

It never stepped forward. The government just stopped sponsoring it openly and it was being swept under the rug.

"Look. We elected a black president." Nearly everything in response to that has shown the underlying racism of many.

It's not getting old for me. I've witnessed it as a white person where I grew up. I was the minority. Unfortunately those cops were crucified for the sins of others. Just like a lot of us citizens. It's time to face the ugly truth instead of thinking that we can shake hands, have a cup of tea and watch the problem just go away........like Keyser Soze.

If we're going to correct this f'd up country, we all need each other anyways.

i would agree but the problem is the irrationality on both sides of this whole situation. listening to the radio tonight they had a top of the hour newsbreak in which a women protesting in new york said something along the lines of "black and brown people get killed and life just goes on" this in a city where a black man just shot and killed a hispanic(and asian) cop. people kill people every race kills every other race, not every single cop is a racist and wants to kill minorities and not every minority is a criminal.

Without trying to sound crass....what kind of idiot kills two minority cops in an attempt to protest cops killing minorities?

someone that is quite irrational. sort of like the lady who responded to the question "what happens if evidence shows the officer is innocent?" with "we dont care what the evidence shows"

Without trying to sound crass....what kind of idiot kills two minority cops in an attempt to protest cops killing minorities?

I don't think it makes a lot of difference to the point at hand once they're coppers.

Hasn't some other lad been killed in Ferguson a little while from where the first lad did?

Antonio Martin was killed last night in Berkely, MO. Which is right next to Ferguson. A crowd gathered and looted the Quick Trip and tried to burn it down but fortunately the cops stopped them. Then this morning they released the video showing Antonio Martin pointing a gun at the cop, then the cop shot him. I work about 10 miles from there.

I also look at ethnic communities in the lower economic neighborhoods as oppressive and because of gang ties, you have generations of men serving time together, sometimes grandfathers and grandsons walking the yard together. Basically, they don't have to do anything because they see it as being taken care of and provided for. Life might suck but life on the outside sucks just as bad for them.

People will always try to blame music and violent lyrics, but that's taking observations of what's going on around them. People blame video games for massacres but that's really up to psychiatrists who do their own research and investigation and if they even get to talk to the shooters. Over time the truth comes out about their frustrations.

New York's always been a powderkeg and because the media's there, the attention's going to be more intense than any other city.

You also have to look at who's tying different incidents together. The media doesn't even bring Kelly Thomas into this discussion even though his death was because he was mentally ill, the cops were trying to "teach him a lesson" for being difficlt. It might be because he was white, but this could have happened to any man or woman of any race, in any major city. Mentally ill on the streets are tolerated and left alone unless they have an outburst. Cops know persuasion can be effective than yelling at them, but that comes with experience.

You also have to look at who's tying different incidents together. The media doesn't even bring Kelly Thomas into this discussion even though his death was because he was mentally ill, the cops were trying to "teach him a lesson" for being difficlt. It might be because he was white, but this could have happened to any man or woman of any race, in any major city. Mentally ill on the streets are tolerated and left alone unless they have an outburst. Cops know persuasion can be effective than yelling at them, but that comes with experience.

thats the big problem right now. no one wants to look at the case individually everything just gets lumped in together. there was a case last night where a missouri cop responded to an armed robbery cop gets there and the suspect had a 9mm handgun and pointed it at the cop and the cop fired and killed the suspect. this didnt stop 300 people showing up and throwing bricks at cops.

the media and the al sharptons of the world have worked people into a frenzy with cases like trayvon martin and michael brown whose deaths are squarely their own fault and not the cops, the media and sharpton have drilled it into peoples heads its all about race and nothing else. while the big point shouldnt be race but police/civilian relations as a whole. there was the garner case in which cops should have been charged, the case of the homeless man who was mentally ill getting shot when walking away from cops, and a case where a cop was actually arrested for shooting a mentally ill kid within 90 seconds of arriving at the scene where 2 cops already had things under control. the mentally ill man you talked about.

now it is to the point where rioters do not care about the circumstance of a case(they have said as much on tv) every cop is now a kkk member who just wants to kill a minority regardless of what evidence is shown. instead of protesting legit cases they just lump every cop and every case together and we are seeing the results of that unfortunately.

• Like 1