Two NYPD officers shot and killed

Snowmass

I'm glad this isn't getting as much coverage. I don't want to see the arguments because there's no real one to be had. The extremists on one side will cite this as proof that black people are raging murderers, the extremists on the other side will rate the killer here as a Nat Turner type revolutionary hero.

A takeaway from this is that this demonization of police officers that's been going on is wrong and unhealthy. It only adds fuel to the fire.

• Like 1

Simply because some misguided shot two police officers for no reason, which is a horrible tragedy, does not mean there is no institutionalized racism present in American law enforcement.

I think the safest and most logical thing to do is demonize and entire group of people (hundreds of thousands of them) because of the bad actions of the extreme minority.

I wonder if we should do that with races as well? Blacks commit more crimes.....so all blacks are thugs? Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer were serial killers.....so all white people are serial killers? Al Sharpton amd Jessie Jackson are racists......so all blacks are racists. All Italians and Irish are in the mafia.

Simply because some misguided shot two police officers for no reason, which is a horrible tragedy, does not mean there is no institutionalized racism present in American law enforcement.

I think the safest and most logical thing to do is demonize and entire group of people (hundreds of thousands of them) because of the bad actions of the extreme minority.

I wonder if we should do that with races as well? Blacks commit more crimes.....so all blacks are thugs? Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer were serial killers.....so all white people are serial killers? Al Sharpton amd Jessie Jackson are racists......so all blacks are racists. All Italians and Irish are in the mafia.

You're missing the point of what he's saying. Institutionalized racism isn't what you're suggesting it is, that it's just a matter of a small group acting badly within a larger category. Institutional racism is far beyond the actions of one or two bigots. It's when the criminal justice system hands out harsher sentences for crack than cocaine. It's when stop and frisk policies are overwhelmingly used against African Americans than whites. It's when judges hand down harsher penalties for African Americans than whites for the same crimes. I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. Moreover, institutionalize racism doesn't judge the actions of one white cop that results in the death of one black man, but the aggregate instances where a clear pattern emerges.

• Like 2

More evidence of "fair and balanced" reporting by Fox:

http://gawker.com/slimy-baltimore-fox-affiliate-caught-faking-kill-a-cop-1674040381?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Crowd was chanting "We can't stop, we won't stop, until killer cops, are behind cell blocks."

Baltimore Fox affiliate cut the footage so it sounded like, "We can't stop, we won't stop, so kill a cop."

Brutal...