The Legend of Hell House

Rocky

The eyes of Laura Mars

Nighthawks

The Godfather

The Godfather 2

The Omen

Frogs

Halloween I can't believe I forgot to add this movie the first time.

Star Wars

God so many movies I loved in the 70's, but I can't remember them all.

Edited by Val22
  • Like 1

You know I just recently watched The Eyes of Laura Mars and can't remember the music to it. lol

I saw that in the movies back in the 70's and thought it was a good movie. I think it might have been Tommy Lee Jones's first movie.

I've always liked Faye Dunaway and I thought she was good in this movie.

Sometimes I'm so fixed on the movie I don't hear the soundtrack

The 1970's is probably the best decade for American cinema and a pretty damn good decade world wide. A lot of it is probably owed to the mass production and use of television. By 1970 pretty much ever household had one. It made going to the movies pointless so Hollywood and other film industries reacted to making films more violent, more sexual content, more profanity. Some more extreme than others thus the exploitation genres were born.

Films like The Godfather I and II, Chinatown, Taxi Driver, French Connection, A Clockwork Orange, One Who Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and so many others could not have been made before this decade without being censored. At least not in the U.S.

Sure the US had some pre-code films before 1934 but even then they were tame.

Yeah, I remember seeing "The night of the living Dead" in the 60's.

Also:

Ocean's 11

Matt Helm movies

A Hard Day's night

Help

I loved those Elvis movies

There were tons of horror movies during the 60's too. Most with Vincent Price I think I saw them all as a kid

I loved the old gangster movies with James Cagney. I have very good memories of watching those movies as a kid with my dad. I didn't realize they were from the 30, 40 and 50's, but I still enjoyed them very much.

Psycho too. I remember my mom going to see it with her friends and back then they didn't tell you everything and she said everyone was shocked at the ending.

I prefer the 1940s and 1950s. The 1930s, at least the early 1930s suffered because of the switch over to talkies. The 1960s saw a lot of interesting stuff. A lot of people dismiss this, thinking it only produced bad Elvis films and disaster films.

The 30's had some gems. All Quiet on the Western Front is as powerful today as it was back then. The Universal horror films are great. King Kong.

True they did suffer from horrible acting but that was becomes a lot of the actors were either stage actors or silent film actors who are not used to talking. There are exceptions though.

By the way, there are some exploitation stuff from the previous decades but none of which were major films. B movies and such can get away with showing stuff. Indie films like Night of the Living Dead are an exception too. Seeing someone get shot through the eye in 1972 was pretty shocking.

I prefer the 1940s and 1950s. The 1930s, at least the early 1930s suffered because of the switch over to talkies. The 1960s saw a lot of interesting stuff. A lot of people dismiss this, thinking it only produced bad Elvis films and disaster films.

The 60s are quite respected cinematically don't you think? Anyway, cinema often reflects things a decade in lieu so if the 70s were highly rated it's only because a lot of the things of the 60s were well digested, designed and appropriated by that time. But 60s was great for cinema man, especially in terms of like experimentation and such.

Butch and Sundance, Spaghetti Westerns, movies like Psycho, The Graduate, Dr Strangelove, La Dolce Vita, The Great Escape, I mean you could go on for days listing them, it was almost like a golden age of cinema.

Halloween

Exorcist

Texas Chainsaw Massacure

Clockwork Orange

Star Wars

Enter the Dragon

The Chinese Connection

Fists of Fury

Jaws

Godfather

Godfather 2

(Some of my favs from the 70's)

A Bruce Lee fan as well?!?! Fuck me Michael, if you were a bird I'd be trying my luck right now :lol:

You make me blush sir... :)

But ya Bruce is the man, I have all of his films on dvd. Although they redid Game of Death 10 years ago or so, I remember watching it on tv. It is MUCH better than the version I have, I have the crappy version with the cut out Bruce in shots, lol. I remember hearing that the studio rushed to get that film out after he died, and as a result it really suffered. Which is sad because it would have been better than Enter the Dragon. I think his widow or someone found some lost footage from it years later, then they rereleased it or something. I used to watch it on AMC (which you probably don't have that channel in the UK). I bought a dvd collection of all of his Hong Kong films and bought Enter seperate, I even bought Dragon The Bruce Lee Story, all at the same time. Which as far as life story films go, I do really like it. But Dragon was actually my first introduction to Bruce, when that movie came out, a friend of mine and his dad took me to go and see it. I didn't really have any idea about him before that, I just liked ninja turtles, so I figured it would have martial arts in it, lol. But that movie really struck me, and I've been a Bruce Lee fan ever since. Of course his actual films are better than Dragon, but still Dragon is a good starting point for those interested in the man.

Honestly Bruce Lee, Mike Tyson, and Muhammad Ali are my 3 favorite "bad asses" of all time. Not sure on the rank though, Mike's probably number 1 for me, but I love all 3. I absolutly HATE it when people try and downgrade Bruce by saying "he was just an actor," because he absolutely was SO MUCH more than that. acting was just the medium he used to get his message across, plus he had a bad back, so it was safer than actual fighting. But if I was to bet on anyone vs Bruce Lee in a fight, I'd always bet on Bruce, he was an absolute bad ass. Even today, he'd easily take out ANY UFC fighter. His skill was beyond compare.

Honestly Bruce Lee, Mike Tyson, and Muhammad Ali

We've gotta be fuckin' related :lol:

Whatcha mean they re-did The Game of Death without the cut out shots? Save for that last ending fight with Inosanto and Kareem and all them the whole movie basically was cut out shots, they hadn't filmed it yet. I know they refound those ending fights, the full footage of em but thats it, they re-did the whole movie?