Axl best vocals 2002?

Axl's listenable (for 2002), Bucket is amazing.

Bucket's licks kinda remind me of Zappa's playing on Watermelon in Easter Hay.

I think he has passed the point of trying to make music, I think he's racing the

HIggs Boson particle to see who can tear open the fabric of the space-time continuum first.

Msg was good from what I remember, but when I say good I mean good for 02. He was very consistent in 2002. It was powerful at times, but it wasn't Axl's classic voice.

Obviously he looked into it over the break 02-06 and got it fixed vocally.

I guess he figured he'd give it one last shot before he literally became completely irrelevant after 2006.

I think he upped his game to compete with Velvet Revolver

I loved this jungle from Albany. The vocals remind me of the 88 jungle vocals, obviously not as good but I feel like he's in that range here. And like many have said, Bucket is phenomenal.

Holy shit that was good! The rasp might not have been there but my god he still had the power. Haven't seen any of these vids before great thread

i love the vocals, but check out 4:10. the way bucket can add in his own parts on that solo is amazing. The band could have been something special

I loved this jungle from Albany. The vocals remind me of the 88 jungle vocals, obviously not as good but I feel like he's in that range here. And like many have said, Bucket is phenomenal.

I really like that solo but even more the kill-switching soothsayer-ing that he's doing after that. Really amazing.

Damn, I need to watch that entire gig again. It's been a while.

Msg was good from what I remember, but when I say good I mean good for 02. He was very consistent in 2002. It was powerful at times, but it wasn't Axl's classic voice.

Obviously he looked into it over the break 02-06 and got it fixed vocally.

I guess he figured he'd give it one last shot before he literally became completely irrelevant after 2006.

I think he upped his game to compete with Velvet Revolver

Maybe so. Whatever the case is, its sad its gone. 2002, at least with the energy and the intent to make a comeback, I've always thought was better than what we had (MAYBE 2010 excluded, but I've also never quite seen the fascination with that others did). 2002 is good for what it is, and I think even though its extremely dated, it translates better in retrospect than it did at the time.

I liked the way the blues/street of dreams sounded in 02 and also Madagascar. better than anytime after. his voice was vastly different but the tour wasn't exactly a long one and the clips and reviews prove he was getting better. cleaner voice but he had the ability to sustain long notes. catcher and twat would've sounded great live back then IMO.

The band itself really was incredible. Night and day from then to now. Current Guns is such shit compared to past incarnations. :(

Completely disagree. I respect Bucket's ability, but I'll take Ron any day. Robin is exactly equal to DJ and neither one should have ever been anywhere near GN'R. Tommy, Richard, Chris and Dizzy are the exact same. You might or might not have a better drummer, I don't know because I really don't give a shit about drummers. Take away 50% of the retarded look factor that the '02 band had and today's band is clearly the winner.

You're out of your mind.

The band itself really was incredible. Night and day from then to now. Current Guns is such shit compared to past incarnations. :(

Completely disagree. I respect Bucket's ability, but I'll take Ron any day. Robin is exactly equal to DJ and neither one should have ever been anywhere near GN'R. Tommy, Richard, Chris and Dizzy are the exact same. You might or might not have a better drummer, I don't know because I really don't give a shit about drummers. Take away 50% of the retarded look factor that the '02 band had and today's band is clearly the winner.

You're out of your mind.
False.

You're out of your mind.

Agreed. Robin had a great bluesy style, DJ just isn't very good. I do think Bumblefoot is as good a player as Bucket but his tone isn't, and for some reason they don't seem to be free to improvise like they did back in 02 and 06. Bumble's Nightrain solo was awesome back in 06, different to Bucket's but equally awesome.

OT: some great videos in this thread. 02 was a weird time for Axl's voice. His range was astronomical but his vocal tone was strange. Over time his clean voice started to get squeaky like at the VMAs. Yet you have HOB 01 where he sounded great imo.

Nah, unless you enjoy 10 seconds of rasp here and there. The only good thing about Axl in 2002 was his stage presence, even though his running made him sing like shit.

I agree. I have a ton of audio from 2002 that was exciting to have at the time, but I would never listen to again based on Axl's vocals.

I would revisit those shows via video though. Axl was on fire as a front man and it's still very exciting to watch.

Geez. People can say what they like about Axl's voice recently and I agree it needs a lot of improvement, maybe he should hire the vocal coach he used in 06. But i would take Axl's 2013-14 voice over Vince Neil's now, jeez look's like he's lip syncing. Check out 3:27.

Geez. People can say what they like about Axl's voice recently and I agree it needs a lot of improvement, maybe he should hire the vocal coach he used in 06. But i would take Axl's 2013-14 voice over Vince Neil's now, jeez look's like he's lip syncing. Check out 3:27.

That sounds like utter shit but still better than Axl's current voice.

It's truly hilarious to realize that Vince Neil has the same psychotic blind shit fans defending him on YouTube, with the same old tired excuses that psychotic blind shit Axl fans use:

- "He's been singing for 34 years, give him a break!"

- "He did a good job here! Not great but good."

- "The man has a thyroid issue, he's not fat!"

:rofl-lol:

• Like 1

That sounds like utter shit but still better than Axl's current voice.

It's truly hilarious to realize that Vince Neil has the same psychotic blind shit fans defending him on YouTube, with the same old tired excuses that psychotic blind shit Axl fans use:

- "He's been singing for 34 years, give him a break!"

- "He did a good job here! Not great but good."

- "The man has a thyroid issue, he's not fat!"

:rofl-lol:

He's not even singing in the video, open your eyes man. Total lip-sync job, phoning it in. There's no way he has the stamina to keep up.

He's not even singing in the video, open your eyes man. Total lip-sync job, phoning it in. There's no way he has the stamina to keep up.

It sounded too bad I would say that was his true live voice. Why would he lip-sync to a terrible sounding recording? Doesn't make any sense.

It sounded too bad I would say that was his true live voice. Why would he lip-sync to a terrible sounding recording? Doesn't make any sense.

dbc.gif

dbc.gif

When common sense fails you, use a gif.

dbc.gif

I realised I was talking to a brick wall.

dbc.gif

Then it should be very easy for you to answer my questions, yet you refuse. Why is that?

dbc.gif

Then it should be very easy for you to answer my questions, yet you refuse. Why is that?

Definitely using some sort of Auto-Tune device, so...

See, now we're talking. Alright, I'll give you that, but that's not lip-syncing.

I don't know why you think I'm trying to defend Vince when I have said that he sounds completely horrid in that vid. He was never the singer that Axl once was.

See, now we're talking. Alright, I'll give you that, but that's not lip-syncing.

I don't know why you think I'm trying to defend Vince when I have said that he sounds completely horrid in that vid. He was never the singer that Axl once was.

But he is lip syncing at certain points. That's why my whole point.

Killer also.

But he is lip syncing at certain points. That's why my whole point.

Killer also.

I would lip-sync to make myself sound better, not worse. His voice in that video sounds atrocious.