Superbowl

Odds on Axl Rose performing at superbowl?

Guns is a legacy act these days. A good portion of the general population have no idea Guns even exists anymore. I am not even sure the reunion band would get that gig these days as that ship sailed a long time ago.

I wish. I don't like Katy Perry and don't like the teams playing, so I'm passing on the whole super bowl.

I don't like Katy Perry either. Total airhead. Kravitz is a nice chappie though

I have family in Seattle and have followed the team there for two decades, so I am obviously swaying towards one team over the other. It is not a biggie though, More following the tennis and cricket over the weekend

Crickets? we use those as fishing lures on this side of the big pond............. :P

But seriously, how nervous would Axl get if he, lol, played the Superbowl? I can only imagine the list of diseases, weather conditions, technical difficulties, etc popping out right after his performance.

At least he wouldn't mine n cheat people like the chilli peppers did

But seriously, how nervous would Axl get if he, lol, played the Superbowl? I can only imagine the list of diseases, weather conditions, technical difficulties, etc popping out right after his performance.

At least he wouldn't mine n cheat people like the chilli peppers did

he should

Guns is a legacy act these days. A good portion of the general population have no idea Guns even exists anymore. I am not even sure the reunion band would get that gig these days as that ship sailed a long time ago.

And yet they played Welcome to the Jungle and You Could Be Mine several times throughout the game.

And yet they played Welcome to the Jungle and You Could Be Mine several times throughout the game.

They play a lot off songs during the game but that does not mean the bands would be considered for halftime. Do you really think anyone would be interested in seeing Axl's current tribute band play halftime? And lets be honest how many young people these days give a shit about Appetite Guns?

Take a look at the halftime bands recently and tell me you think any incarnation of Guns would be considered.

Edited by classicrawker

They play a lot off songs during the game but that does not mean the bands would be considered for halftime. Do you really think anyone would be interested in seeing Axl's current tribute band play halftime? And lets be honest how many young people these days give a shit about Appetite Guns?

Take a look at the halftime bands recently and tell me you think any incarnation of Guns would be considered.

Well the Who headlined in 2010, Slash featured in 2011, The Red Hot Chili Peppers featured in 2014 and Lenny Kravitz this year.

You are prematurely writing off bands. A successful GNR reunion line-up (in terms of performances) would absolutely be a contender. But I admit it would have to be soon. And since when did young people (kids, teenagers, early 20's) have a monopoly on the SuperBowl?

Edited by Facekicker

Can someone tell me why Missy Elliot was at the Super Bowl?

Well the Who headlined in 2010, Slash featured in 2011, The Red Hot Chili Peppers featured in 2014 and Lenny Kravitz this year.

You are prematurely writing off bands. A successful GNR reunion line-up (in terms of performances) would absolutely be a contender. But I admit it would have to be soon. And since when did young people (kids, teenagers, early 20's) have a monopoly on the SuperBowl?

A few years ago a GNR reunion would most certainly have been a huge contender for the Super Bowl. Back when Axl sounded good and they were having old rockers play every show, GNR would have fit right in.

Now? They seem to have gone back to the top 40 pop stuff, and Axl sounds awful now, so I couldn't see it happening even in the impossible event of a reunion.

Edited by bacardimayne

Bands never play live at the superb owl, so I'd expect the crew to just put together a medley from the appetite for democracy audio :awesomeface:

Would likely be the same exact medley played at the MTV VMA's

I'm pretty sure Prince played live a couple years ago

• Like 2

The Who is a legendary band like the Stones and Beatles, The Black Eyed Peas were the feature band, not Slash, as they were hot at the time. The Peppers have had more recent hits and were still a popular band when they headlined. Katy Perry was the headliner this year not Lenny Kravitz.

Kravitz played the role of Slash this year in that he was just additional eye candy so you are exaggerating a bit here mate.

The reunion band might have a chance if they could stay together long enough to do it. Since Axl could lip sync they could even have a chance to pull it off but I still have my doubts is all I am saying. Personally I think a reunion would be one of the biggest tours of the year so if they did that first and built some fan interest they might be a viable option for the SB.

The Who is a legendary band like the Stones and Beatles, The Black Eyed Peas were the feature band, not Slash, as they were hot at the time. The Peppers have had more recent hits and were still a popular band when they headlined. Katy Perry was the headliner this year not Lenny Kravitz.

Kravitz played the role of Slash this year in that he was just additional eye candy so you are exaggerating a bit here mate.

The reunion band might have a chance if they could stay together long enough to do it. Since Axl could lip sync they could even have a chance to pull it off but I still have my doubts is all I am saying. Personally I think a reunion would be one of the biggest tours of the year so if they did that first and built some fan interest they might be a viable option for the SB.

That's exactly what I'm saying :lol: And I never claimed that Slash or Kravitz headlined, I said they featured.

That's exactly what I'm saying :lol: And I never claimed that Slash or Kravitz headlined, I said they featured.

So we agree then.... :lol: ..............but Slash and Lenny would not have been there if not for the Peas and Perry........... ;)

Bands never play live at the superb owl, so I'd expect the crew to just put together a medley from the appetite for democracy audio :awesomeface:

Given what RHCP said last year about the owl, the vocals can be live (or partially live) so there can be banter directed toward the crowd, but the instrumentals are all pre-recorded

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were excellent. Although I just learned none of the performances are live and it kind of sours the whole enterprise.

You can't have magic moments when you take out all the risk and spontaneity.

Edited by Ant

Given what RHCP said last year about the owl, the vocals can be live (or partially live) so there can be banter directed toward the crowd, but the instrumentals are all pre-recorded
You think that Prince's performance was pre-recorded and not live?

Have you watched it? You can hear is voice going in and out as he is running and some scratchy guitar parts.

You could be right. But it sure seemed live.

You're kidding yourself if you think a reformed GNR with Axl and Slash wouldn't get immediately booked to play the Superbowl half-time show. They would be a one of the few classic rock bands that could sell out stadiums, playing songs that routinely get played game in and game out during the regular season. Those arguing that the NFL and those watching wouldn't be interested have never been to an NFL game.

This would happen in a heartbeat if Axl was interested in such a spectacle.

• Like 1

You're kidding yourself if you think a reformed GNR with Axl and Slash wouldn't get immediately booked to play the Superbowl half-time show. They would be a one of the few classic rock bands that could sell out stadiums, playing songs that routinely get played game in and game out during the regular season. Those arguing that the NFL and those watching wouldn't be interested have never been to an NFL game.

Tbh I think if a new album was announced or released they'd book GNR in their current form, especially if there was guests like Izzy/Duff or Bucket, Finck or obviously Slash.

Nah, with Slash yes but not Axl's Roses.

Having a new album out isn't a prerequisite for playing the halftime show either.

The cool kids like to proclaim that no one listens to rock music anymore etc etc etc but at sporting events they're always playing GNr, ACDC, Led Zep and all that.

Downzy is bang on there, if the real GNR reunited they would get the Superbowl gig no sweat.

Tbh I think if a new album was announced or released they'd book GNR in their current form, especially if there was guests like Izzy/Duff or Bucket, Finck or obviously Slash.

Haha! The delusions that some of you suffer from are absolutely mind blowing.

Having a new album out isn't a prerequisite for playing the halftime show either.

The cool kids like to proclaim that no one listens to rock music anymore etc etc etc but at sporting events they're always playing GNr, ACDC, Led Zep and all that.

Downzy is bang on there, if the real GNR reunited they would get the Superbowl gig no sweat.

How in the world do you people even begin to think GnR in any form would get the super bowl let alone a shoe in for it as a reunited band. Seriously think about it. Metallica has never had a Super Bowl performance, Foo Fighters have yet to do it, yet you people think GnR reunite and BOOM they're guaranteed the performance based on what? The overwhelming demand of the public? I often wonder how many people on these boards ever actually step outside the walls of this forum.

www.dailymotion.com/video/xc2boj_jamie-foxx-blame-it-live-on-grammy_music

My fear is them turning Guns n Roses into this at 3:55 with Slash playing November Rain over rap music....the super bowl would do something dumb like have special guest.

If you get guns n roses just let them play. No fancy stage needed. The opening scream of jungle and the fireworks going off at the end of paradise city would be plenty!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc2boj_jamie-foxx-blame-it-live-on-grammy_music

Edited by IncitingChaos

How in the world do you people even begin to think GnR in any form would get the super bowl let alone a shoe in for it as a reunited band. Seriously think about it. Metallica has never had a Super Bowl performance, Foo Fighters have yet to do it, yet you people think GnR reunite and BOOM they're guaranteed the performance based on what? The overwhelming demand of the public? I often wonder how many people on these boards ever actually step outside the walls of this forum.

My lack of ability to know factual information from the future = delusions? Hmm

You honestly think that the Foo Fighters are in the same league as a reunited GNR? The only two other bands that would be more sought over in terms of a reunion might be Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. If Axl can book headlining spots at major music festivals with the current lineup, I don't see how a reunited lineup wouldn't make the cut for something like the Superbowl.

The RHCP played the half-time a couple of years ago. Are you suggesting that the Peppers are a bigger name than a reunited GNR? I guess it's open to interpretation, but I doubt few, even casual fans, would side with that argument.

We have to remember that the half-time show is more geared towards the female audience than a male audience. Not to generalize too much, but many women who would not watch a football game otherwise will watch the Superbowl simply for the ads and the half-time show. This trend has been growing for awhile. So in that sense a reunited GNR may not be as automatic as they would have been ten years ago, but at the same time, they're not as overtly masculine as a band like Metallica. There is a softer underbelly to GNR, with songs like SCOM, Patience, and November Rain appealing to not just angry young (I guess now middle aged) men.

And who is to say that Metallica hasn't been asked and turned it down? As has been insinuated by others in this thread, perhaps one of the catches to playing the Superbowl is you now have to get paired up with other artists. Look at what a debacle the Aerosmith half-time was several years ago with Britney Spears. Who are they going to pair Metallica up with that would work? Taylor Swift (who, if I was a betting man, will be hosting the half-time gig next year)? Lorde? Charli XCX? If playing the half-time show means being paired up with someone else, perhaps bands like Metallica or GNR no longer fit the paradigm. But that's a different argument than the one suggesting that a reunited GNR would not be "big enough" to land the gig. They'd be one of the few remaining legacy acts that could still sell out stadiums.