Billy Corgan says Axl Rose is the definition of rockstar and says aggressive stance should be taken against pop music

Rock isn't dead today, but rock artists have been pushed into a niche genre. Rock songs from this decade's artists (or even from new albums from the old artists) don't break out onto popular radio, they rarely if ever get featured in films, and none of them has become widely popular or iconic beyond the rock n' roll crowd. That's the essential crisis of the genre today. There has always been pop music, but rock bands used to be able to put songs up in the charts and to command their own share of pop culture.

Are there any modern rockstars who could be called a celebrity? And I mean in a class with someone like Ozzy Osbourne, not like Billy Corgan.

Jack White is the only recent rock star celebrity that comes to mind.

I kind of like where rock is now, you have to make an effort to go out and discover the bands you enjoy. It feels a little more rewarding and personal.

Goddamn, this place is negative!

Billy Corgan, who has consistently churned out good rock for 20 years, can't express an opinion??? And it's complimentary to Axl Rose!!! The whole reason we even visit this board.

Please, internet message board lurkers, tell me how your musical opinion supercedes Billy Corgan's?

What a joke!

Oh yeah! I totally forgot that if someone praises Axl Rose we all gotta praise that person in return. Riiiiiiiiiiight. Thanks for reminding me how to be a fucking sheep and have the Axl Rose zealot mindset. Billy Corgan is the definition of negative. All he ever does is run his mouth against music genres that don't fall in line with what he thinks is good music. He's only mad that his music is no longer top 40. If he was running the charts like he did in the mid 90s he'd have nothing to say. And for this guy to cotinueally name drop people like Cobain and Axl Rose and align himself with them in some weak attempt to elevate himself to their stature is pathetic. But yes he complimented Axl Rose so let's all get on our knees for Billy Corgan... Pfft.

• Like 1

Goddamn, this place is negative!

Billy Corgan, who has consistently churned out good rock for 20 years, can't express an opinion??? And it's complimentary to Axl Rose!!! The whole reason we even visit this board.

Please, internet message board lurkers, tell me how your musical opinion supercedes Billy Corgan's?

What a joke!

Washed up douchebag grunge rocker tries to throw entire genres under the bus for purposes of self-aggrandizement and we're being "negative" when we call him the douche that he is? Got it.

Goddamn, this place is so retarded!

Yes, absoutely! That is the very defintion of negativity. You must have been the type of boy who pointed his finger and said "but, he did it first, not me"?

*Monuments To An Elegy was really fucking good, by the way. So, that means that the "washed-up" "grunge" rocker came out w/ a badass disc last year and has another new cd set to come out this year. I can't think of a knock on Billy Corgan's integrity, can you?

Hmm, don't know who I'm gonna side w/??? The guy who sold 20 million records or the guy who spellchecked "self-aggrandizement"? That's a hard one.

What the fuck does how many albums a person has sold have to do with how worthy their opinion is? Britney Spears has sold how many records? Over 100 million I believe. According to you, her opinion on music should be of more value than ours as well. In fact her opinion is more worthy than good ol' Billy Corgan's based on album sales.

Billy Corgan sold 20 million albums and praised Axl Rose so...... MUST. PRAISE. BILLY. CAN'T THINK. FOR. SELF................. SHEEP!

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

Billy Corgan sold 20 million albums and praised Axl Rose so...... MUST. PRAISE. BILLY. CAN'T THINK. FOR. SELF................. SHEEP!

:rofl-lol:

But if Billy Corgan criticized Axl Rose... he is shit, his music is shit, a shit artist that wants attention by mentioning Axl Rose.

• Like 2

Wow. Bono just gave Paris an embarrassing beat down. That's one of the best rants of the year.

And lol. It happens every time.

Artist criticizes Axl - the sheep automatically hate and bash that artist

Artist praises Axl - the sheep praise that artist and say they've always been a fan.

WK is a perfect example.

It must be a weird existence to know that you aren't capable of forming opinions and thoughts without having Axl Rose as a base for those thoughts. To have your life revolve around a 50 year old former rock star.......I just feel sad for these people.

• Like 2

Wow. Bono just gave Paris an embarrassing beat down. That's one of the best rants of the year.

Artist praises Axl - the sheep praise that artist and say they've always been a fan.

WK is a perfect example.

It must be a weird existence to know that you aren't capable of forming opinions and thoughts without having Axl Rose as a base for those thoughts. To have your life revolve around a 50 year old former rock star.......I just feel sad for these people.

They don't have an original mind of their own. Remember them suddenly getting angry about the Hall of Fame because Axl refused to attend, criticising it in a couple of letters? I bet Axl fans hate Warren Beatty haha.

Gotta agree with everything he said... that's a first :) and! I pat him on the back for the Foo Fighters bit. They are underdeveloped, huge yes, but the albums? have they a classic album like AFD, back in black, puppets, Moving Pictures... the answer to that is no. Yes, the colour and shape is a good record, but it's still got a belly of fat on it that springs a hole in the boat. Loads of great songs now after 15+ years of making music but no one album is great all the way through, more of a singles band... and that last album was complete filler just to make a daft TV project... what gets me is nobody cares that the album that came out of the show was bland and forgettable, Dave Grohl the nice guy somehow gets a pass on poor albums. Don't hate the Foo's I just don't understand why there's different rule systems for some bands. When Metallica release a stinker they get slaughtered. My own theory is that people expect greatness from the Metallica's and the GnR's, and with The Foo Fighters people know that they'll get a reasonable album but they don't expect a classic.

WK is a perfect example.

It's embarrassing isn't it? Somehow I feel bad for those kind of people.

WK is a perfect example.

They don't have an original mind of their own. Remember them suddenly getting angry about the Hall of Fame because Axl refused to attend, criticising it in a couple of letters? I bet Axl fans hate Warren Beatty haha.

The Hall was a huge honor for Axl, really showed how amazing his career was ......until he declined it, then everybody was like "f*ck the hall of fame. They've always sucked."

It happens every single time somebody praises or bashes Axl. Hilarious to watch.

U2 SUCKS. I can't think of music I'd rather listen to less. Seriously.

Bono is a fucking dbag too.

What does your personal opinion on U2 have to do with this topic?

You don't like them. Great. Millions of people do. They've been successful for 30 years now, so to say they suck as a band is a little ignorant on your part.

I don't really like U2. But to say they suck is just silly.

• 7 months later...

In the new issue of Rolling Stone Billy is asked: Are you gonna see Guns N' Roses on their upcoming reunion tour?

I hope so ,yeah. I said five years ago that it would definitely happen,that it was just a matter of where and when. The chemistry of that band is a big part of what people love. It would seem like a crime to not be able to enjoy and appreciate that accomplishment in this digital era.

RS: My fear is that a show performed by people who don't like each other might not be very good.

Well,listen. I've been on the other side of that coin. I've had people demand that I get on stage with my ex-bandmates because that's what they want to see. I've said staunchly, much to my detriment, that the only way that would happen is  if we were in a place of love and appreciation for one another. I've taken a lot of shit for that, as if somehow I'm ruining somebody's generational memory. But to me it's true of the value system of the band I grew up in. We only did what we truly believed in,even when tons of people told us they didn't like what we were doing. 

RS 1257

Andy Greene (aka the Izzy twitter guy )

Source:My subscription. You're welcome.

There are a bunch more questions but these are the ones relating to GNR so none of you get goofy and say Billy is doing this for publicity.  He's simply answering the questions he was asked.

Edited by Subtle Signs
  • Like 4