Billy Corgan says Axl Rose is the definition of rockstar and says aggressive stance should be taken against pop music

Billy Corgan makes good music and I respect that aspect of him but he's been acting like a complete douchebag lately and is trying way too hard to associate himself with legends like Axl and Kurt. He simply comes off incredibly pathetic. We need to tak an agressive stance against pop music? Fuck off Billy Corgan.

Edited by Bono

Goddamn, this place is negative!

Billy Corgan, who has consistently churned out good rock for 20 years, can't express an opinion??? And it's complimentary to Axl Rose!!! The whole reason we even visit this board.

Please, internet message board lurkers, tell me how your musical opinion supercedes Billy Corgan's?

What a joke!

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm not really sure why people get so worked up regarding someone else's opinion. Disagree with him all you want, but not sure the need to rip into him as though he insulted your momma.

I can't really speak to consistency of what Corgan is saying here, but I do see some rhyme and reason to his most recent comments. And I won't speak for other artists, but I would disagree wholeheartedly to anyone who claims that Axl has packaged himself and the band for mainstream appeal. In my opinion, Axl has always pursued, or attempted to at least, whatever vision he had for himself and for the band at the time. Some times that vision coincided with mainstream appeal, many other times it did not.

I've got no problems with either pop or rock stars pursuing a vision that derives from themselves and their own ideas. However, it appears as though too many pop stars today seem to be the product or made decisions based on the opinions of others: their handlers, record execs, pr cronies. There's a difference between an artist expressing themselves in newfound or boundary pushing ways because that happens to be what interests/drives them at that particular time and those artists that pursue trends in their attempt to remain relevant. The latter dynamic seems more prevalent in pop than in rock these days. My bet is that this what Billy was trying to say.

• Like 2

To me, it's not really the pop music that is the problem. Pop music has always been around. Whether it's what we have today, or NSync and Backstreet Boys, or New Kids on the Block, or whatever, it's always been around and at the top of the charts. Rock just doesn't get the attention it used to, like say when the Pumpkins were big. I have to think that it will come back around and be big like it used to at some point.

I like how in the past few years, whenever he is interviewed, he always seems a little pissed off. He's got stuff to say. I like that.

I'm not sure I totally understand the point he is trying to make about Axl. So in my head, I'm going to just broaden it out to being a positive comment, that has something to do with Axl being one-of-a-kind.

Billy Corgan, who has consistently churned out good rock for 20 years, can't express an opinion??? And it's complimentary to Axl Rose!!! The whole reason we even visit this board.

Please, internet message board lurkers, tell me how your musical opinion supercedes Billy Corgan's?

What a joke!

Washed up douchebag grunge rocker tries to throw entire genres under the bus for purposes of self-aggrandizement and we're being "negative" when we call him the douche that he is? Got it.

Goddamn, this place is so retarded!

• Like 2

To me, it's not really the pop music that is the problem. Pop music has always been around. Whether it's what we have today, or NSync and Backstreet Boys, or New Kids on the Block, or whatever, it's always been around and at the top of the charts. Rock just doesn't get the attention it used to, like say when the Pumpkins were big. I have to think that it will come back around and be big like it used to at some point.

The fact is this whole mainstream/underground stuff is a load of bollocks, 99.9% of the shit people listen to is pop music, in the purest sense. Rock n Roll is pop music in general. So the vast majority of hip hop that people have heard of. This whole fuckin' grunge era of these guys signed to major record labels and going on about underground and alternative was just a giant cocksuck.

• Like 1

Rock music will get attention and 'come back around' the instant someone actually writes and records a good rock album.

People don't give a shit about genres. They like what sounds good. In the absence of anything that sounds good (like now) people will just default to what is pushed down their throats, which is usually pop.

• Like 1

What a joke!

Washed up douchebag grunge rocker tries to throw entire genres under the bus for purposes of self-aggrandizement and we're being "negative" when we call him the douche that he is? Got it.

Goddamn, this place is so retarded!

Yes, absoutely! That is the very defintion of negativity. You must have been the type of boy who pointed his finger and said "but, he did it first, not me"?

*Monuments To An Elegy was really fucking good, by the way. So, that means that the "washed-up" "grunge" rocker came out w/ a badass disc last year and has another new cd set to come out this year. I can't think of a knock on Billy Corgan's integrity, can you?

Hmm, don't know who I'm gonna side w/??? The guy who sold 20 million records or the guy who spellchecked "self-aggrandizement"? That's a hard one.

Less vitriol, personal insults, and anger please; more conversation on the points being made would be preferable.

In my defence Downzy, my one that you edited werent an insult or anger or even me being rude, i just swear a bit but i wasn't narked at anyone :)

P.S I still love you :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

LOL and Billy doesn't give 2 shits about Axl. He only brings up Axl because Billy gets some of the same criticisms. So rather than look more whiney defending himself, he brings Axl into it:

Bad Idea Alert: Billy Corgan and Jessica Simpson Make Music

Chunkalicious faux-diva meets washed-up egomaniac rocker.

image_1.jpg

It was hard enough not to laugh and cringe at the same time when the tabloids started showing pictures of Smashing Pumpkins nucleus Billy Corgan and bleach-blonde no-talent idiot country bumpkin Jessica Simpson out on the town with one another. But making music together? Come on.

In a move that can only have been orchestrated to disgust and alienate the few remaining Smashing Pumpkins fans, Corgan is reportedly recording music with what’s being called his girlfriend.

As photographer Kristin Burns took photos, the duo went to work with producer Kerry Brown, who is helming Smashing Pumpkins’ Teargarden By Kaleidyscope sessions.

"I am blessed," Simpson wrote on Twitter in a series of messages about her studio time with Corgan. "He braids my prayers," she wrote (and what the hell does that mean?), just before declaring it "fun to be lost in laughter."

Let’s narrow this down to brass tacks: Corgan is an egocentric megalomaniac weirdo far past his musical prime (what was the last good song he wrote?), and Simpson is a fame-desperate fraud (she’s not as bad as her sister, but still can’t sing worth a damn), clinging to whatever public name she can attach herself to, from Nick Lachey to Tony Romo to John Mayer and beyond. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

What will the music sound like? Will we get a "Bullet With Daisy Duke WIngs"? Will Simpson get a Courtney Love makeover, start popping pills and rambling incoherently on Facebook and Twitter? Actually that might be kind of awesome. Is that a reality show I smell?

http://www.craveonline.com/music/articles/141158-bad-idea-alert-billy-corgan-and-jessica-simpson-make-music

Edited by Turn_It_Up

• 4 months later...

Rock isn't dead today, but rock artists have been pushed into a niche genre. Rock songs from this decade's artists (or even from new albums from the old artists) don't break out onto popular radio, they rarely if ever get featured in films, and none of them has become widely popular or iconic beyond the rock n' roll crowd. That's the essential crisis of the genre today. There has always been pop music, but rock bands used to be able to put songs up in the charts and to command their own share of pop culture.

Are there any modern rockstars who could be called a celebrity? And I mean in a class with someone like Ozzy Osbourne, not like Billy Corgan.