STEVEN ADLER: MATT SORUM Wouldn't Take Part In GUNS N' ROSES Reunion Unless I Was Involved

Steven Adler is still the only member of the AFD GNR who I have yet to see live. I hope he gets back on tour soon.

Where did you see Izzy?

Playing with GNR at the Hammerstein in 2006

Thats cool, Ive seen Slash, Steven and Axl, Ive met Slash and Steven, I was about to meet Axl but the security kicked me out, Maybe ill meet Duff and Izzy one day, but chances of meeting or seeing Izzy is very low

Steven Adler is still the only member of the AFD GNR who I have yet to see live. I hope he gets back on tour soon.

Izzy for me... Wish that guy would do some fucking shows... wtf..

I feel you man. Let's just say I am ecstatic that I saw Izzy when I did because I don't think that opportunity will ever present itself ever again.

The way some of you bash Adler is disgusting. Smh.

You gotta remember a lot of the bashing is done by people who weren't around for the real deal GN'R so it's easy for them to look back and easily dismiss Steven's importance to the band's success.
Very true

I just think some people are pretty sick. Instead of being happy that Adler appears to be doing well they just keep bashing him for his addition issues. The world needs more love and compassion and less hate and negativity.

Founding member of the band we all love. Has been clean for over a year and wishes the old band would get together for one more album. And people bash him for that? This is why the internet and forums turn into such cesspools of sht. Nobody can be positive and happy for people.

• Like 1

The way some of you bash Adler is disgusting. Smh.

You gotta remember a lot of the bashing is done by people who weren't around for the real deal GN'R so it's easy for them to look back and easily dismiss Steven's importance to the band's success.
Very true

I just think some people are pretty sick. Instead of being happy that Adler appears to be doing well they just keep bashing him for his addition issues. The world needs more love and compassion and less hate and negativity.

Founding member of the band we all love. Has been clean for over a year and wishes the old band would get together for one more album. And people bash him for that? This is why the internet and forums turn into such cesspools of sht. Nobody can be positive and happy for people.

Who's bashing Steven in this thread? I've seen people complain about Axl's entourage, some mentioned Steven's continuing battle against addictions and one person asked him to shut up.

Overall, most seemed fairly positive to me :shrugs:

Edited by Lio

Its such a love/hate thing with Steven. Listen, I get that he shouldn't be shit on for wanting a reunion. Yes, he was a major part of the album we all love and his role in GNR can't be minimized. My problem is the way he goes about it and the way he lives his life. Its the childish of it all. "I wish we could all get together and play music because we're best friends and we make the best music." Yes, thats all nice and good, and it may very well be true, but everyone is also adults now. Thats an odd way to phrase wanting to do that, and its consistently the way he presents himself. He seems like the nicest guy in the world, but he also never seems like he has his priorities straight and always comes off like a begging dog. It hinders my ability to really get 100% behind him.

Also, and it really can't be stated enough, he is a drug addict. He may not be now, and if he's not then I truly hope he stays that way, but he has proven time and time again that he can't stay sober, and most visually and embarrassingly so on reality TV. It is NOT a coincidence these guys don't do bands or do long term things with him. I can't go pointing out specific reasons why for them, because thats something only they really know, but their lack of activity with him is evident. And I agree with the people saying everyone is always complimenting him in his stories. Either that isn't true or it is and they say it kind of because they know what he's like and they think it will mean a lot to him.

In the end, we all end up saying the same thing about Steven: we hope for the best for him. I obviously hope there's a reunion, and if there is he should be a part of it. I can't say he won't fuck it up somehow, but it would be rude to leave him out. In the end, he's burned his own bridge with his comments. He should stop begging for a reunion, because he's not gonna be the one that brings it together, and if he wants this reunion so badly he should know when to keep his mouth shut, like around the Hall Of Fame time. IMO he's proven too many times he isn't really as innocent as he always makes himself look and he's made too many missteps for me to truly back what he says when he says it. But I obviously hope everything works out for him.

• Like 1

Its such a love/hate thing with Steven. Listen, I get that he shouldn't be shit on for wanting a reunion. Yes, he was a major part of the album we all love and his role in GNR can't be minimized. My problem is the way he goes about it and the way he lives his life. Its the childish of it all. "I wish we could all get together and play music because we're best friends and we make the best music." Yes, thats all nice and good, and it may very well be true, but everyone is also adults now. Thats an odd way to phrase wanting to do that, and its consistently the way he presents himself. He seems like the nicest guy in the world, but he also never seems like he has his priorities straight and always comes off like a begging dog. It hinders my ability to really get 100% behind him.

Also, and it really can't be stated enough, he is a drug addict. He may not be now, and if he's not then I truly hope he stays that way, but he has proven time and time again that he can't stay sober, and most visually and embarrassingly so on reality TV. It is NOT a coincidence these guys don't do bands or do long term things with him. I can't go pointing out specific reasons why for them, because thats something only they really know, but their lack of activity with him is evident. And I agree with the people saying everyone is always complimenting him in his stories. Either that isn't true or it is and they say it kind of because they know what he's like and they think it will mean a lot to him.

In the end, we all end up saying the same thing about Steven: we hope for the best for him. I obviously hope there's a reunion, and if there is he should be a part of it. I can't say he won't fuck it up somehow, but it would be rude to leave him out. In the end, he's burned his own bridge with his comments. He should stop begging for a reunion, because he's not gonna be the one that brings it together, and if he wants this reunion so badly he should know when to keep his mouth shut, like around the Hall Of Fame time. IMO he's proven too many times he isn't really as innocent as he always makes himself look and he's made too many missteps for me to truly back what he says when he says it. But I obviously hope everything works out for him.

I agree with all of this. For all of those who are saying that Steven is such a nice, innocent guy, well...there is lots of information out there to the contrary. Ditching his band without a penny in Europe, getting arrested multiple times for hitting women (and yes, I do know he's not alone in the band with that offense), blaming everyone else for his problems, etc.I certainly wish him the best but he's not an angel any more than any other member of this group, and as mentioned, there seem to be some justfiable reasons why his former bandmates and other influential musicians haven't wanted to work with him over the past 25 years.

At the end of the day the constant begging and pleading for a reunion, which he's done over and over and over again in the press, just comes off as sad and desperate IMHO. Everyone else in the band has moved on to other projects. Steven doesn't have anything else that works well, so he's still clinging to that brief period of glory 25-30 years ago. It's a shame that he hasn't done anything else of note and still needs to cling to that. And I don't say that with any level of looking down on Steven; I say that because it's sad. It's like a guy who was a football star in high school, and when they're 60 years old it's still the pinnacle of their life achievements.

What I honestly wish for him is that a) he honestly stays clean, sober and healthy for the long term; and b) he finds another project or life purpose that will be fulfilling enough to him that he doesn't need to keep begging for a reunion.

• Like 1

Stella you are the best Axl fan on the forum. I bet someday Axl will read your posts and contact you.

Let me ask you something. If Axl comes out and says he would love to get together with the old guys and do a reunion album and tour, would you ridicule him with the same 60 year old high school football player comparison?

Do you attach that label to Axl already since he has put out one album of original material in the last 24 years and currently makes the majority of his living off of albums he released in 1987-1991?

And have to LOL at people who say that Adler "constantly" begs out of desperation. Dude does 2-3 interviews a year and answers honestly when the interviewer asks about GnR. Somehow that equates to constant desperate begging.

Lot of really critical and cynical people on here towards ex-GnR members. Odd though that they give Axl so many passes. Smh, people even downgrade the Steph/Erin physical abuse because they were crazy and Axl had regression therapy that showed he was abused as a child and that Stephanie was mean to him 800 years ago in their past lives. Mags, you couldn't make up crazier stuff than this.

• Like 2

Apollo, you aren't wrong, and Axl has a whole slew of problems that its impossible to even get into those. I could dig into Axl for hours, but this is neither the time nor the place.

There isn't really that much cynicism towards Ex-GNR members. People hardly say anything, and if they do its usually positive, about Duff or Izzy, and Slash is pretty much 50/50, which is understandable given that strain between him and Axl. Most people see it clearly. Sorum barely gets mentioned except for his whale boners, and when Steven gets brought up, its usually for drugs or its for a reunion. Thats just the honest truth. Adler has done absolutely nothing of note since leaving GNR, and even a fuck up lazy person like Axl can't say that. He's at least released the album he was always destined to put out and toured. Adler has released a few virtually unknown records and toured a handful of dates in the last 20 years.

And whats sad is the stuff thats actually been good (Adler's Appetite) he screwed up in some form or another. Again, he seems like a great guy, but his missteps aren't coincidences. He doesn't tour because he either can't keep a band together, or he's having personal problems that prevent it. The BEST thing he could do if he wants to talk reunions is to show he's still got the stamina to continually be out on the road, which he never does and could if he really wanted to. Its very possible I'm wrong, but the bottom line is the other people keep themselves busy whereas whenever you hear about Adler its always his starting a band or its talking about GNR. You can't just give a pass to all of that or else you'd be as ignorant as brainwashed Axl supporters. Like I said, Steven Adler will not be the reason Guns N Roses ever reunites, but if he wants to have any clout, he should get himself into shape for longer than a year and, as Stella said, he should find a passion whether it be music and touring or something else. Axl has a million different problems, but to say Steven doesn't is just false. And in recent years thats only become more noticeable and its been harder to just blindly support his statements.

And have to LOL at people who say that Adler "constantly" begs out of desperation.

Exactly. Adler just bought a 1.4 million mansion, yet he's desperate for a reunion because he wants money. :rolleyes:

He's desperate for a reunion for other reasons imo. Not money.

• Like 1

probably because he was a bit of an arrogant prick, but that's the rock star way, eh.

musically i never had an issue with him.

Really? And he's considered as an arrogant prick based on what?

Yeah, musically, he is a great drummer, imo. I tend to prefer the UYI tour over anything prior to that.

LOL some of you are really crazy and have no empathy whatsoever for a person who is sick. Steven Adler. I really dig him. He's nice, he's funny and I'd love to see him play with GNR again some time but I'm not such an evil person or brainless as to ask him to be in shape and ready for a 2 years long tour knowing the guy has so many health problems and half of his face paralyzed...

Are you out of your minds?

Give him a break! And let him dream if he wants to dream about a reunion or whatever. What does it affect you so much?

Let the guy be happy with knowing he was part of a huge thing. One more time wouldn't hurt anyone. A reunion of sorts won't be a tour like the UYI one. Whoever thinks that is fucking crazy. The men are old and also they shouldn't do it. The so called reunion should be a televised shit on the VMA's and that's it. After that, they all go back to their current jobs.

Sorum was alright, I will never understand why people dislike him so much.

Nostalgia. They don't consider UYI era GN'R as pure as when Steven was in the band, and with time and rose tinted glasses Steven has come to be seen as the secret MVP of Guns N' Roses.

I don't get the Sorum hate either, honestly. He is a great drummer, he seems laid back and nice, and he seems to be able to jump into any band situation that comes up. All I can think is that perhaps it is either because a) he replaced Adler (and any replacement would have been hated) or b) he doesn't meet that stereotypical rock star image so people react to that. Back in the day IIRC some fans seemed up in arms about him before listening to a note he played because of his appearance.

Edited by stella