Guns N' Roses 6 album contract

Reading Marc Canter's book, I saw quotes from then management saying that Guns received an unprecedented 6 album deal.

Does anyone have the details of this contract? You'd think it'd be a matter of public record.

I wanna know if it was 6 studio albums, I wanna know if Lies counts toward the album count as an EP, I wanna know what Live Era and GH's count toward, and I wanna know if the contract survived all the record company mergers and the statute of limitations?

1. Appetite

2. Lies

3. Illusion 1

4. Illusion 2

5. Spaghetti

6. Chinese

I believe Lies doesn't count, neither Live Era and GH.

But there's still the possibility of contract modifications over time, the deal may have changed.

Lies, live era and the live Vegas 2012 cd won't count, I'm sure after chinese came out there was something about gnr not having a record label deal

AFD
Lies (contains original songs and regarded as a full length album)
UYI (for one record not two)
TSI? (i'm doubtful because it doesnt contain a single original song and somewhat part of the UYI saga)
CD

Probably the other releases (Live Era, GH, Vegas DVD) are some part of the deal too...

Nobody knows really, we have heard a lot of specualtion about this but never a full official standpoint (probably because the deal changed from time to time, idk)

That was the original 1986 deal but the problem is that they were renegotiating their contract 1991-2, and then Axl took over the band and presumably renegotiation took place as it was a new band. Then there were negotiations on CD, from around 1997 onwards. We do not have the facts of the negotiations so basically, we don't know!

• Like 2

On my count for album releases (including EP)

AFD

Lies (this was a legitimate release and it was successful, but does it count)

UYI I & II (1 record)

TSI (this one I'm not sure)

Chinese.

They still owe more records but... I highly doubt that they will release 2 to 3 more albums of original music.

Edited by Tom2112

Why would a covers album not count? It's still an album that was released commercially.

What if you're a band or singer that doesn't write their own songs or music? Wouldn't whatever album they released count towards their contract?

And live albums are a quick and easy way for a lot of bands to fulfill their contracts. Some bands have a falling out with their record label and refuse to submit anything new so they compromise and release a live album or a greatest hits album to fulfill their album quota.

Edited by Sixes
  • Like 1

I dont know about the 6 Album contract, but Geffen/Universal did put a lot of money on CD in 1997 to 2000, they wanted it to be released in 1999 or 2000, but Axl kept on delaying, so why dint Geffen sue Axl for delaying so much? I guess a Record company tells a band to release an album every 3 or 4 years, I know in some bands this is not the Case like AC/DC released an Album after 7 years

So well dint Geffen had the right to sue Axl for delaying and not releasing when they put so much money on the album?

On my count for album releases (including EP)

AFD

Lies (this was a legitimate release and it was successful, but does it count)

UYI I & II (1 record)

TSI (this one I'm not sure)

Chinese.

They still owe more records but... I highly doubt that they will release 2 to 3 more albums of original music.

They have already announced CD 2 and CD 1 remix. One album with original work and another with remix from last album. I don't expect them to have a Chinese democracy 3 or 4 but I DO except a CD 2 and remix album.

It used to matter if an artist owed an album. If an artist failed, they dropped them from the label and either released the tapes or kept the tapes and would sell them back for a ridiculous amount of money. Universal controls the publishing anyway so the back catalog's all in house. I still think the A4D DVD opened the discusssion to new GNR music.

Odds are the remix will be fan club released and people would get their membership buying it. It's better than a laminate.

It used to matter if an artist owed an album. If an artist failed, they dropped them from the label and either released the tapes or kept the tapes and would sell them back for a ridiculous amount of money. Universal controls the publishing anyway so the back catalog's all in house. I still think the A4D DVD opened the discusssion to new GNR music.

Odds are the remix will be fan club released and people would get their membership buying it. It's better than a laminate.

So whatever sales A4D DVD does will go to the former members who contributed? Ashba only contributed to Ballad of Death and nothing else, who decides how much % will go to whom cause the songs are from Appetite and UYI and CD, its a mix of 3 albums, so who decides that?

So whatever sales A4D DVD does will go to the former members who contributed? Ashba only contributed to Ballad of Death and nothing else, who decides how much % will go to whom cause the songs are from Appetite and UYI and CD, its a mix of 3 albums, so who decides that?

Publishing royalties.

I am guessing from what Merck said back in the day that Guns still need to do two new albums for Uni

Including Chinese, or two after Chinese?

After Chinese

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

That's ok. It is not new info though. It has been mentioned before

Edited by Mysteron

I am guessing from what Merck said back in the day that Guns still need to do two new albums for Uni

Including Chinese, or two after Chinese?

After Chinese

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

That's ok. It is not new info though. It has been mentioned before

It was new to me at least ha.

Greatest Hits album was definitely included. I believe the label released it without Axl and co's permission because they were owed another album hence the lack of input from the three musketeers on it.

• Like 1