Male-Female, Jerk or helpful....what would you have done? Cookies and little girls involved

Apollo

i would have done the same thing as u, I really dont know how was ur tone when u told them, but I would have talked to them politely, If people keep on paying for burnt cookies then it means they r taking advantage of u, If u know their parents, then tell their parents the cookies r burnt and be careful next time

My tone was VERY POLITE.

There was laughing involved by everybody, including the little girls.

As a stranger they didn't need you to tell them the "truth" as you are not their parent or coach which in that case they want and need you to advise them. Sometimes we need to encourage children just for trying hard to accomplish something even if their attempt was not a total success.

As a stranger they didn't need you to tell them the "truth" as you are not their parent or coach which in that case they want and need you to advise them. Sometimes we need to encourage children just for trying hard to accomplish something even if their attempt was not a total success.

I know you are a parent - so I respect your point of view.

But.......just because I'm a 'stranger' why would that preclude me from telling them the "truth"? That's a fascinating statement to me, especially from other parents.

And I did encourage them - I told them a couple simple things they could do that would help them "accomplish" whatever it is they were trying to accomplish.

OK. Different group of kids. Let's say you were taking a walk past a basketball court and some little kid said "hey mister, watch me shoot a three-pointer. Will you give me a dollar if I make one?" And then the kid missed 50 in a row. Would you do what you and all the other posters are saying to do - and say "Great job, kid. Good effort, way to try your hardest" and give him a dollar and walk away? Or would you say "if you keep your right elbow closer to your body and move your left hand a few inches over, you'll probably start making more shots."

Or a kid comes to your door and says he'll wash your car for $20, and he's holding a dirty rag and bottle of shampoo......do you say "oh, that's cute. Good for you for going out and doing this" and then you pay the kid?" Or do you tell him that he'd make more money if he used clean towels and the proper soap?

Believe it or not, I'm probably one of the 2-3 most popular youth coaches in my town. The last year I coached Little League I must have had 5-6 kids come ask if they could switch teams and play for me. I had parents calling the league to see if they could switch teams. Every year I have other coaches and parents call me and ask if I'll come help or coach with them. I think that kids appreciate a little honesty now and then. They know when people are giving them false praise. OK, one more example. I had this really overweight kid on a 10-12 year old baseball team. One day in the dugout he told me that his parents kept telling him that if he kept working and practicing that he could make All Stars. And that he was just as good as everybody else on the team, but the coach (me) just didn't give him a chance. Before I could answer, the kid said "But I know that is all bullsh*t. I know I'm not very good. My goal is to get one double this season.

This is a 11-year-old kid, whose parents and grandparents are telling him he'd be an All Star if only the coach would give him the chance. Over-praising in a false way does not help a kid. The kid ended up getting three doubles that season and couldn't have been happier or more satisfied........but his parents still tell him he could have played pro, if only given the chance. That kid also called me last year because he wanted my opinion on a major life decision he was trying to make (pilot school, military, or college).

I think kids are smarter than we give them credit for.

AND the next time those girls come to my house........I bet they'll bring me a delicious cookie. And I'll pay them for it. And the entire neighborhood will be happy and not throwing away burnt cookies. And the girls will feel great for not just "trying" to accomplish something, but actually accomplishing it!!!

With all due respect Apollo your analogies are not the same as the cookie case as the children in those analogies were not asking for "donations"

Concerning your coaching ability I have no doubt you approach this with enthusiasm as you seem to like to advise people on what is right but that is a different case which I covered in my response.

When you are a coach, or a teacher for that matter, it is your job to advise and teach. In the cookie case the girls did not come to you for advice on how to make their cookies better. They came to you because they were most likely proud of their efforts and wanted to make a few dollars selling their hard work.

Instead of lecturing them you should of just politely declined if you felt that strongly about it and left it at that instead of pissing in their Lucky Charms.

I had a feeling you came here for reassurance that your approach was correct which in that case nothing anyone can say to you will ever change your mind that you could have handled things a little more diplomatically then you did. Since you think you were right I won't waste any more time debating the issue with you as neither of us is going to change our opinions. :shrugs:

Cool.

What about the car wash example?

Would you let the kid wash your car improperly.......or would you tell him you'd pay him if he did it the right way?

Yes, over-praising is problematic, but I am not sure if it applies to the context of girls selling cookies at the doors of strangers :lol: It's more a topic for parenting.

And it is not as if you just didn't want to buy their cookies, you had to educate, ridicule and mock them, too :lol:

OK OK OK.....maybe there was "almost" some mocking going on.

I probably shouldn't have said "would you eat this?"

But these things were as f*cking hard and black as a hockey puck.

The whole thing was a little weird and caught me off guard.

It was dark out, maybe 8 pm.

I opened the door.

They handed me two cookies.

There was no hello, we're selling cookies, etc. No introduction. They just reached out two cookies and I naturally took them. Then looked at them like ......Uhhh, what's going on?

Then they say that I can "tip them" if I want.

If they were just going around giving out free cookies............maybe I would have just said thanks and took them. Maybe thrown in a "I really like the softer cookies" or something like that.

But these girls were SELLING them door-to-door. And they were selling cookies that I guarantee you nobody ate. Every cookie they sold or gave away got thrown in the garbage. Nobody wins. So I just told them how they could improve their little operation. I wasn't yelling or lecturing. I was smiling and very friendly about it.

It was about a 1 minute conversation and the girls left in a good mood. I didn't yell at them and they didn't run away crying.

So you admit, you were taking the piss out of them a bit too? :lol: You're a legend :lol:

I think there is a strong possibility that they made cookies with their mom.

And they kept the good ones.

And then took the burnt ones out and tried to sell them to people.

Don't worry guys - I really am curious as to what you have to say, or what you all would have done.

My little bitty sensitive feelings won't be hurt if you disagree.

I know my thought process isn't always the same as most of you.

We do a yearly poll at work. One of the questions was something like What is most important to you when completely a large project" or something like that. Almost everybody put "receiving credit for my work" or " receiving praise or acknowledgement from my boss." One person wrote "I don't need a pat on the head from my boss to let me know I did a good job. I'll take the pay bonus every time."

I suppose you all can guess which one was my answer.

i would have done the same thing as u, I really dont know how was ur tone when u told them, but I would have talked to them politely, If people keep on paying for burnt cookies then it means they r taking advantage of u, If u know their parents, then tell their parents the cookies r burnt and be careful next time

My tone was VERY POLITE.

But.......just because I'm a 'stranger' why would that preclude me from telling them the "truth"? That's a fascinating statement to me, especially from other parents.

And I did encourage them - I told them a couple simple things they could do that would help them "accomplish" whatever it is they were trying to accomplish.

OK. Different group of kids. Let's say you were taking a walk past a basketball court and some little kid said "hey mister, watch me shoot a three-pointer. Will you give me a dollar if I make one?" And then the kid missed 50 in a row. Would you do what you and all the other posters are saying to do - and say "Great job, kid. Good effort, way to try your hardest" and give him a dollar and walk away? Or would you say "if you keep your right elbow closer to your body and move your left hand a few inches over, you'll probably start making more shots."

Or a kid comes to your door and says he'll wash your car for $20, and he's holding a dirty rag and bottle of shampoo......do you say "oh, that's cute. Good for you for going out and doing this" and then you pay the kid?" Or do you tell him that he'd make more money if he used clean towels and the proper soap?

Believe it or not, I'm probably one of the 2-3 most popular youth coaches in my town. The last year I coached Little League I must have had 5-6 kids come ask if they could switch teams and play for me. I had parents calling the league to see if they could switch teams. Every year I have other coaches and parents call me and ask if I'll come help or coach with them. I think that kids appreciate a little honesty now and then. They know when people are giving them false praise. OK, one more example. I had this really overweight kid on a 10-12 year old baseball team. One day in the dugout he told me that his parents kept telling him that if he kept working and practicing that he could make All Stars. And that he was just as good as everybody else on the team, but the coach (me) just didn't give him a chance. Before I could answer, the kid said "But I know that is all bullsh*t. I know I'm not very good. My goal is to get one double this season.

This is a 11-year-old kid, whose parents and grandparents are telling him he'd be an All Star if only the coach would give him the chance. Over-praising in a false way does not help a kid. The kid ended up getting three doubles that season and couldn't have been happier or more satisfied........but his parents still tell him he could have played pro, if only given the chance. That kid also called me last year because he wanted my opinion on a major life decision he was trying to make (pilot school, military, or college).

AND the next time those girls come to my house........I bet they'll bring me a delicious cookie. And I'll pay them for it. And the entire neighborhood will be happy and not throwing away burnt cookies. And the girls will feel great for not just "trying" to accomplish something, but actually accomplishing it!!!

With all due respect Apollo your analogies are not the same as the cookie case as the children in those analogies were not asking for "donations"

Concerning your coaching ability I have no doubt you approach this with enthusiasm as you seem to like to advise people on what is right but that is a different case which I covered in my response.

When you are a coach, or a teacher for that matter, it is your job to advise and teach. In the cookie case the girls did not come to you for advice on how to make their cookies better. They came to you because they were most likely proud of their efforts and wanted to make a few dollars selling their hard work.

Instead of lecturing them you should of just politely declined if you felt that strongly about it and left it at that instead of pissing in their Lucky Charms.

I had a feeling you came here for reassurance that your approach was correct which in that case nothing anyone can say to you will ever change your mind that you could have handled things a little more diplomatically then you did. Since you think you were right I won't waste any more time debating the issue with you as neither of us is going to change our opinions. :shrugs:

Cool.

Would you let the kid wash your car improperly.......or would you tell him you'd pay him if he did it the right way?

It is not exactly the same as the cookie girls were not asking for a set amount. If you had handed them a $1 they most likely would have been happy.

Then lets be realistic, what kid is going to ask for $20 to wash your car? But to go along with your analogy I would tell him that is too much and offer $5. If he accepted I would hand him a clean cloth and tell him to have at it as shampoo is not a big deal. Now if he showed up with paint thinner I would have to go along with you and "coach" him :lol:

I, for one, think you did good.

It's kinda like when people are complaining : they'd rather have you join them in their misery than listen to and apply an advice that would actually solve their problem.

I am also guessing you have no children, yes?

I don't.

As a teacher, I can see how children can be endearing...but I also see how a good portion of them don't really care to improve what isn't working out.

Don't get me wrong, I am capable of being empathetic :lol: but empathy alone rarely solves anything.

( Or maybe that self improvement shit has turned me into a cold dick regarding certain aspects of human interactions, I don't know... )

My tone was VERY POLITE.

Cool.

It is not exactly the same as the cookie girls were not asking for a set amount. If you had handed them a $1 they most likely would have been happy.

Then lets be realistic, what kid is going to ask for $20 to wash your car? But to go along with your analogy I would tell him that is too much and offer $5. If he accepted I would hand him a clean cloth and tell him to have at it as shampoo is not a big deal. Now if he showed up with paint thinner I would have to go along with you and "coach" him :lol:

F*ck...........$5 to wash your car ? I've been getting robbed!!!!

My tone was VERY POLITE.

Cool.

F*ck...........$5 to wash your car ? I've been getting robbed!!!!

If you are paying $20 for a car shampoo you may want to reevaluate your negotiating skills. :lol:

You can go to a car wash and get a perfect wash for $10 here in Mass. But do you see the difference in the two situations? in your analogy the person is offering a service for a fixed amount of money while in the other the cookie girls are asking for a small amount of money for something they took pride in creating.

Listen I don't think you were being a prick and it is JMO. It is not like you told them to F' off and slammed the door in their face. I just think it would not have hurt to have slipped them a few $$ for their efforts. :shrugs:

• Like 1

I, for one, think you did good.

It's kinda like when people are complaining : they'd rather have you join them in their misery than listen to and apply an advice that would actually solve their problem.

I am also guessing you have no children, yes?

I don't.

As a teacher, I can see how children can be endearing...but I also see how a good portion of them don't really care to improve what isn't working out.

Don't get me wrong, I am capable of being empathetic :lol: but empathy alone rarely solves anything.

( Or maybe that self improvement shit has turned me into a cold dick regarding certain aspects of human interactions, I don't know... )

Every situation is different Glow. In this case the girls most likely made the cookies themselves and it might have been their first time so I see no harm in making them feel good about their efforts.

As a compromise I could see thanking them and giving them a few $$ and maybe telling them to bring me more cookies next time they bake them but maybe don't cook them as long as I like my cookies cooked a certain way. This way you still make them feel like they accomplished something and gave them good advice as well.

Listen I am not believer in every child should get a trophy mentality that seems to be the approach these days here in the U.S., as I agree that rewards lack of effort in some cases, but this case was not a competition and I doubt these girls put a lack of effort into their cookie baking

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

What was the money for? Were they giving it to charity?

I'd probably give them a few bob if that was the case.

Can't say I'd give them anything if it wasn't though. Especially if they were "donating" burnt cookies.

I'd probably say something like - "I'll give you a dollar for every cookie you eat." :lol:

And today's lesson kids - "Don't go hawking shit you're not prepared to stand over."

Nothing wrong with just saying they could be better. It's all depending how you say it though.

I mean, my 8 year old is not shy or fragile (the opposite actually), if she would sell burnt cookies door to door, you bet she just finished eating all the good ones. :lol:.

I would like people to praise her for the idea, but she should also sell eatable cookies. So if she was told, she should practice a little more and sell good ones, but her idea was smart and all, it's fine by me. She would put more effort into it next time and learn from it. It all depends how somebody would adress it though. I don't want her to be disencouraged entirely, that she would get too afraid to even try better. But I have no problem with somebody encourage her to be better and don't eat all the good ones herself. ;)

Btw, I would never let my daughter sell burnt cookies in the first place. I would have let her made good cookies, before even let her go out the door and start selling. :shrugs:

• Like 1

I'm sure Apollo was perfectly nice to them.

I think, if you know the kids it also changes the dynamic. Like if it was my friends kids or neighbours kids that I know I'd probably laugh and tell them I'll give them money if they can get my neighbour next door to buy 5 or more and eat them in front of them.

Kids love a bit of mischief :lol:

• Like 3

What was the money for? Were they giving it to charity?

I'd probably give them a few bob if that was the case.

Can't say I'd give them anything if it wasn't though. Especially if they were "donating" burnt cookies.

I'd probably say something like - "I'll give you a dollar for every cookie you eat." :lol:

And today's lesson kids - "Don't go hawking shit you're not prepared to stand over."

I think they were raising money so they could buy cigarettes

• Like 1

You weren't a jerk because of your motives for doing what you did.. You didn't help their with their "business skills" either though because some complex-ass lesson doesn't get through to a 9 years old kid..

You could have given them a dollar and told them the cookies were a bit burned and you'll give 2 the next time the cookies are better... if you really had to teach them something.. that's probably the most they could have learned at once anyway..

I guess guess I'd just given them a couple of bucks and ask if they could cook them a little less in the future... :shrugs:

Nah, actually I probably wouldn't even have bothered doing other than thank and hand them some money :lol: .

Edited by Is0tope

I wouldn't have lectured them, but I wouldn't have given them money either. You don't get a couple bucks just for being a little girl and knocking on my door with some shit I didn't ask for.

I am guessing you have no children, yes?

No, but I've worked with them and cared for them my entire professional life. Not sure what that has to do with anything, though. The only issue of parenting here is about parents who have their 9 year old girls knocking on strangers' doors unsupervised.

• Like 2

I wouldn't have lectured them, but I wouldn't have given them money either. You don't get a couple bucks just for being a little girl and knocking on my door with some shit I didn't ask for.

I am guessing you have no children, yes?

No, but I've worked with them and cared for them my entire professional life. Not sure what that has to do with anything, though. The only issue of parenting here is about parents who have their 9 year old girls knocking on strangers' doors unsupervised.

Having your own children gives you a different perspective then caring for other peoples children. Doesn't make me or other parents experts by any means but it does give you a different understanding when you live with them 24/7 IMHO.

I don't disagree with you about letting 9 years old knock on strangers doors but that was not the point of Apollo's original post. That is another discussion altogether. :shrugs:

Parents always like to talk about their different perspective, which I'll grant them, but they never seem to admit it could be a skewed perspective. There's always a hint of their thinking they're better simply because they're doing what billions of dumb fucks have done before them. Guess what, parent, you're not special, and neither is your kid to anyone but you.

Parents always like to talk about their different perspective, which I'll grant them, but they never seem to admit it could be a skewed perspective. There's always a hint of their thinking they're better simply because they're doing what billions of dumb fucks have done before them. Guess what, parent, you're not special, and neither is your kid to anyone but you.

If you are a teacher I can understand your bitterness Mags as I can imagine dealing with asshole parents cannot be fun. But your opinion is a generalization as not all parents think the way you claim.

I have been on both sides as I coached Little League before I had children and my perspective changed once I had my own. I dealt with asshole kids and parents when I coached but also dealt with some great kids and parents so everyone is different. I certainly learned a lot while raising my children and my perspective on how to deal with children has changed dramatically.

I never said my children were special, or that I had all the answers or was smarter than you, but when the child is your own you certainly have a different perspective, then when you mind or teach someone else's children, that someone without children can't understand.

Edited by classicrawker

The only issue of parenting here is about parents who have their 9 year old girls knocking on strangers' doors unsupervised.

Yes, agreed. I would never let her do that without me watching from a distance or have an older girl supervise the whole thing. So no way, she could sell burnt cookies ;)

The only issue of parenting here is about parents who have their 9 year old girls knocking on strangers' doors unsupervised.

Yes, agreed. I would never let her do that without me watching from a distance or have an older girl supervise the whole thing. So no way, she could sell burnt cookies ;)

My favorite part of OP is Groghs cynical suspicion that they were trying to sell the cookies they didn't want while they had perfectly good cookies at home. :lol:

• Like 1

Good on you man. What the fuck you're just expected to give them money and fucking March all the way to your room to get your wallet to pay for nothing? Do you look like a fuckin charity? No. Fuck them and fuck their shit parents for not schooling them like you did. I would have got shut down by my parents I'd tried to do something as half gay as what they did and rightly so. Pay for fuckin burnt shite, what is this? Fascist little cockbags. I swear the entitlement/no fuckin brains some kids have. And it's that fuckin mentality that goes on too. I had cunts for friends that were like that. Had shit fuckin all to offer you but would take every cent they could from you all because their shit parents let them be that entitled. Blooming arseholes.