Male-Female, Jerk or helpful....what would you have done? Cookies and little girls involved

Apollo

The only issue of parenting here is about parents who have their 9 year old girls knocking on strangers' doors unsupervised.

Yes, agreed. I would never let her do that without me watching from a distance or have an older girl supervise the whole thing. So no way, she could sell burnt cookies ;)

My favorite part of OP is Groghs cynical suspicion that they were trying to sell the cookies they didn't want while they had perfectly good cookies at home. :lol:
Well, if they were anything like my daughter, they would have probably already eaten those and just tried to sell the disgusting ones. There is a good change he was right. ;) Edited by MB.

The only issue of parenting here is about parents who have their 9 year old girls knocking on strangers' doors unsupervised.

Yes, agreed. I would never let her do that without me watching from a distance or have an older girl supervise the whole thing. So no way, she could sell burnt cookies ;)

My favorite part of OP is Groghs cynical suspicion that they were trying to sell the cookies they didn't want while they had perfectly good cookies at home. :lol:

Well, if they were anything like my daughter, they would probably already eaten those and just tried to sell the disgusting ones. There is a good change he was right. ;)

You women start down the evil path early, huh? :lol:

Nah, I know there are lovely little girls out there. My youngest daughter is one. She would only sell perfect cookies.

However my oldest is pure evil and indeed she could keep the good ones and sell the bad ones. No doubt about that. :lol:

Yeah, and you might be dead wrong in your perspective. That's my point. Not saying you definitely are, but the whole, "You don't have kids so you don't get it" is bogus as fuck. Maybe you don't get it because you have kids. Could go either way.

Could be Mags as it is just my opinion not a fact. Everyone has there own thoughts on how to raise children and whose to say what is correct. I can only tell you my thoughts on dealing with children changed significantly after I had two of my own.

I was a lazy bastard as a kid and I eventually got it and turned out reasonably successful so you never know. :shrugs:

Yeah, and you might be dead wrong in your perspective. That's my point. Not saying you definitely are, but the whole, "You don't have kids so you don't get it" is bogus as fuck. Maybe you don't get it because you have kids. Could go either way.

Could be Mags as it is just my opinion not a fact. Everyone has there own thoughts on how to raise children and whose to say what is correct. I can only tell you my thoughts on dealing with children changed significantly after I had two of my own.

I was a lazy bastard as a kid and I eventually got it and turned out reasonably successful so you never know. :shrugs:

Can you just explain the perspective for me that says I should give them money for showing up at my door? I just don't get that. I mean, of course I'd be perfectly kind to them and smile and tell them I wished them luck and all that, but why is it somehow objectionable that I don't give them money for doing... what?.... I don't get that part.

Fuck. I think I just admitted I don't get it. :P

Edited by magisme

What irks me is when the status of parent is brought up when the discussion has nothing to do with anything even remotely parent related.

"Speaking as a parent...blah blah blah"

Makes me want to reply

"As a dog owner I refute your....bullshit." :lol:

• Like 3

Good on you man. What the fuck you're just expected to give them money and fucking March all the way to your room to get your wallet to pay for nothing? Do you look like a fuckin charity? No. Fuck them and fuck their shit parents for not schooling them like you did. I would have got shut down by my parents I'd tried to do something as half gay as what they did and rightly so. Pay for fuckin burnt shite, what is this? Fascist little cockbags. I swear the entitlement/no fuckin brains some kids have. And it's that fuckin mentality that goes on too. I had cunts for friends that were like that. Had shit fuckin all to offer you but would take every cent they could from you all because their shit parents let them be that entitled. Blooming arseholes.

You'd fuckin' eat the cookies and the girls :lol: Fuckin' cold blooded savages around here, being rotten to kids and that, honestly! :lol:

The saddest part of all this is that the kids who were selling them cookies have let this unimportant moment in their cookie selling evening just completely pass them by without giving it a second thought. And yet here we are.

And oddly, some of the same people that would criticise parents for coddling and having an obssesive response to their kids are posting in here...thats me included. Lifes hilairious when you think about it.

Edited by Len B'stard

So, just curious as to what you would have done in my situation and if you agree/disagree with me.

Two little girls, maybe 8-10 years old, show up at my door. I answer and they hand me two home made cookies. Turns out they are going door-to-door handing out cookies. Not for sale, but if you want to "give" a tip they'll take it. "The last house gave us $5."

The rub is that the cookies are real pos. Basically burnt, hard as a hockey puck. Not edible, even for a homeless person.

So I say "No thanks, you can keep them. But thanks for coming by."

They say "you can keep them, you don't have to pay us."

I'm completely honest with them and say that nobody wants a burnt cookie. And that if I kept it I'd just throw it away as soon as they left. I tell them they need to get their cooking/baking skills to a level where they can make cookies that aren't burnt - next time, try taking them out a couple minutes earlier, etc.

I tell them that I will gladly give them a dollar for every cookie they bring me in the future that is cooked properly. And that if they start selling good cookies they'll make a lot of money. I ask the girl if she'd eat the cookie she was giving me and she said "maybe if I was really hungry."

NOW......my wife as aghast. And all the females I've told that story to have said it was a prick move and I should have just smiled, taken the cookies, and then threw them away after the girls left.

But how is that helping the budding entrepreneurs? If everybody just kept accepting the crap cookies, patting the girls on the head and telling them how sweet they are.......would they ever learn to do it properly? The girls would continue to try and sell the world's worst cookies, and people around the neighborhood would start NOT answering their door when they saw it was the girls with the burnt cookies.

I'm pretty sure the girls (or their parents) made cookies and they kept the proper ones and the girls were just selling off the ones their family DIDN"T WANT TO EAT because they were burnt.

Why am I prick in this case?

What I told the girls should totally help them. If they take my advice, and start selling regular cookies, they could make $20 every time they make a batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies.

But if they keep doing what they are doing - and ALL the other mothers keep patting them on the head and saying how cute it is - what happens? They continue trying to pawn off burnt cookies that nobody wants.

What do you think is better? False praise or telling somebody the truth?

That was pretty dickish.

If it was me I'd just say "Ok, thanks" and give them like 2 bucks for trying. Got to admire a kid that's at least doing something rather than sitting home playing video games.

So, just curious as to what you would have done in my situation and if you agree/disagree with me.

Two little girls, maybe 8-10 years old, show up at my door. I answer and they hand me two home made cookies. Turns out they are going door-to-door handing out cookies. Not for sale, but if you want to "give" a tip they'll take it. "The last house gave us $5."

The rub is that the cookies are real pos. Basically burnt, hard as a hockey puck. Not edible, even for a homeless person.

So I say "No thanks, you can keep them. But thanks for coming by."

They say "you can keep them, you don't have to pay us."

I'm completely honest with them and say that nobody wants a burnt cookie. And that if I kept it I'd just throw it away as soon as they left. I tell them they need to get their cooking/baking skills to a level where they can make cookies that aren't burnt - next time, try taking them out a couple minutes earlier, etc.

I tell them that I will gladly give them a dollar for every cookie they bring me in the future that is cooked properly. And that if they start selling good cookies they'll make a lot of money. I ask the girl if she'd eat the cookie she was giving me and she said "maybe if I was really hungry."

NOW......my wife as aghast. And all the females I've told that story to have said it was a prick move and I should have just smiled, taken the cookies, and then threw them away after the girls left.

But how is that helping the budding entrepreneurs? If everybody just kept accepting the crap cookies, patting the girls on the head and telling them how sweet they are.......would they ever learn to do it properly? The girls would continue to try and sell the world's worst cookies, and people around the neighborhood would start NOT answering their door when they saw it was the girls with the burnt cookies.

I'm pretty sure the girls (or their parents) made cookies and they kept the proper ones and the girls were just selling off the ones their family DIDN"T WANT TO EAT because they were burnt.

Why am I prick in this case?

What I told the girls should totally help them. If they take my advice, and start selling regular cookies, they could make $20 every time they make a batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies.

But if they keep doing what they are doing - and ALL the other mothers keep patting them on the head and saying how cute it is - what happens? They continue trying to pawn off burnt cookies that nobody wants.

What do you think is better? False praise or telling somebody the truth?

That was pretty dickish.

If it was me I'd just say "Ok, thanks" and give them like 2 bucks for trying. Got to admire a kid that's at least doing something rather than sitting home playing video games.

So instead of helping the kid learn to do his mission the right way.....you would pay him and send him on his way? So she wouldn't learn anything and would continue to things the wrong way?

When your children draws a crap picture, do you go: ''hmm, that picture is rubbish. You have to work harder, improve your chiaroscuro effect, improve your perspective etc''?

My Uncle did a lot of that... he felt at my cousins' school that there was a lot of emphasis on everyone just getting along, doing fine and not really any focus on the quality of work done or what needed done to improve it. I remember going to an event at the school with him and he picked up a model car that my wee cousin had made and just said "well, that's a bit rubbish, isn't it?" to be fair, the wheels on one side were on squint, so the car would just go round in circles all the time. He felt there was too much emphasis on the "taking part" side of things, rather than doing well. Afterwards, there was a "show" in the gym hall where I had the misfortune to sit next to him as he mercilessly lampooned everything that happened... it was cruel, but unfortunately fucking hilarious as well, I had to sit there watching some poor child squeak their way through "hot cross buns" on a violin with silent tears of laughter streaming down my face.

• Like 3

You're all horrible people. :lol: I've never sold cookies from door to door, but had that happened to me, I would've never gotten over it and felt even more insecure than I did before.

It may work if they were evil kids, like MB's oldest daughter ( :P), but not if you're a little insecure, like Lenny's little niece.

As for them selling cookies unsupervised: that would happen where I live too. I guess it depends on where you live.

Personally, I wouldn't let my daughter sell homemade cookies, but maybe those girls have lousy parents that don't even help them bake good cookies. So the girls do the best they can, are proud of their (burned) cookies and get their pride smashed by the neighbour. :(

Not saying it went like that, Apollo, but I'd feel sorry for them immediately and make up all sorts of stories about those poor little girls. That's just how my mind works. :shrugs:

Can you just explain the perspective for me that says I should give them money for showing up at my door?

It works on the same principle as chucking some coins in a buskers hat.

I just don't get that. I mean, of course I'd be perfectly kind to them and smile and tell them I wished them luck and all that, but why is it somehow objectionable that I don't give them money for doing

Whats your issue with it, the money aspect, like why should I give my hard earned dollars to these little girls? How much could they possibly cost man? :lol: Or are you of the 'it's not the money, it's the principle!' perspective? :lol: It's just like the guy from the heart foundation coming around, not identical in principle cuz obviously the cookie girls ain't doing it for charity (i think?) but in terms of from your perspective, as a giver, it's just like 'ahh, its a good cause', not every instance of parting with money should be viewed through an investment bankers mentality like 'OK, the proposition here is that I am to exchange 10 dollars for cookies, do i want these cookies, what purpose will these cookies serve in my life, am i hungry, do they look tasty?', it's ten fuckin' dollars you tight cunt, just hand em over to the little kiddies and stop thinking for yourself all the time! :lol:

There you go, reason in action :lol: It really is true about what they say about money changing motherfuckers every time. You find all these people who are like, really nice kind gentle people but when it comes to a fight over their change it's like 'Uh, i think you'll find my change was thirty SIX pence, not thirty four, it's the principle you understand!' :lol: Bunch of fuckin' fagins :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

AND the next time those girls come to my house........I bet they'll bring me a delicious cookie. And I'll pay them for it. And the entire neighborhood will be happy and not throwing away burnt cookies. And the girls will feel great for not just "trying" to accomplish something, but actually accomplishing it!!!

Keep us posted Apollo!

Funny thread. Reminds me of Sean Lock:

• Like 2